Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to study medicine at university and eventually specialize in neurosurgery.
    I have to pick my A level options soon.
    I was thinking Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English.
    Are those good choices? Perhaps I should do Physics rather than English?
    Thanks in advance for your responses.

ReputationRep:
    Dance, Drama, Photography and Travel & Tourism. Play life on hard-mode dammit.

ReputationRep:
    Those subjects look fine for medicine. As long as you take Biology, Chemistry and Maths on to A2, your fourth subject can pretty much be anything you like, so English is a good choice, plus it will give you a bit of variety

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Those subjects look fine for medicine. As long as you take Biology, Chemistry and Maths on to A2, your fourth subject can pretty much be anything you like, so English is a good choice, plus it will give you a bit of variety
    Thank you! Although I think it's become compulsory to study four subjects for two years since the exams are now linear...which is quite a shame...

ReputationRep:
    Which English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Thank you! Although I think it's become compulsory to study four subjects for two years since the exams are now linear...which is quite a shame...
    Oh yeah, I remember that now. I just finished my A Levels, so I was still thinking about it in terms of AS and A2. Good luck with whatever you choose

ReputationRep:
    Do 3 A levels that you're serious about and 1 for messing around in. That's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Which English?
    I was thinking about doing English Language. I'd like to do literature but I heard an English language qualification is valued more by universities...since it's harder apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    Do 3 A levels that you're serious about and 1 for messing around in. That's what I did.
    It's become compulsory for us to do four now for two years as the exams have become linear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan Crane)
    Dance, Drama, Photography and Travel & Tourism. Play life on hard-mode dammit.
    this dude knows
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    oh my god, good luck with those subjects lol gonna feel insane after two years of advanced maths

ReputationRep:
    It's become compulsory for us to do four now for two years as the exams have become linear.

Not true.

You can do three or four it doesn't matter.
    Also it depends how your school does it, Some schools (mine) do the AS exam, but it wont count towards the full A Level because we have to sit the AS exam again in year 13, OR some schools may not put you in for the year 12, and decide instead to wait until year 13 to do all exams.
    Nothing stopping you from only doing 3 though.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about doing English Language. I'd like to do literature but I heard an English language qualification is valued more by universities...since it's harder apparently.
    That is definitely not true either. Literature is valued more than Language.
    Language is valued more at GCSE because it's proof you can write legibly, but for A Levels and above, Literature is seen as more rigourous academically, so Lit is more respected there.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I've been told that English Literature is the one that catches the eye from prestigious universities. I think it depends on the degree. For example for linguistics they really like English Language. I'm literally on the same board as you haha. Same a levels I'm thinking of doing but with english lit instead. Do the english you're most confident in, or do both as one a level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle1198)
    That is definitely not true either. Literature is valued more than Language.
    Language is valued more at GCSE because it's proof you can write legibly, but for A Levels and above, Literature is seen as more rigourous academically, so Lit is more respected there.
    Oh, I see! Thank you for very much for ENLIGHTENING me. I will certainly reconsider doing English Launguage now especially since I enjoy English Literature more.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.