The Student Room Group

Is it racist if you won't date some races?

Scroll to see replies

No, ofc it's not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheReader
You wouldn't date a different sub-species? Speciest!!!

I'm not David Cameron.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
There's nothing 'wrong' with not being sexually appealing to someone.

See? The entitlement culture. Whilst concept of physical attractiveness is largely shaped by the society and everyone would have a different taste, it's obvious that there are general standards of beauty.

what are you on about? attraction is determined by society. that means if you prejudge that you dont like an entire race without meeting every member of that race you are racist because the only reason you would exclude an entire race form your beauty standards is due to racist ideas taught to you by society.

it's not about entitlement.
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
what are you on about? attraction is determined by society. that means if you prejudge that you dont like an entire race without meeting every member of that race you are racist because the only reason you would exclude an entire race form your beauty standards is due to racist ideas taught to you by society.

it's not about entitlement.

It's about entitlement. It's the feeling of entitlement that gives anyone the idea that everyone should be attracted to everything or there's something wrong with that person.

To attempt to shame someone into dating and sleeping with people is even worse.

And this is coming from someone who's on the receiving end of this so-called 'racism'.
Original post by Bealzibub
I appreciate beauty of all races and I don't think any lesser of them outside of the dating field but I'm not attracted to some races of women. I want my kids to look similar to me and it feels like an instinctive thing, I can't help it. If I had kids with someone who had more dominant genes than me, It would feel like the end of my genes

This is racist by definition I think, but is it okay to do so in the dating field?

Depends. If you dont date people from a different race because you dont find them attractive, then no

If you dont date people from another race because you think your own race is superior or theres is in some way inferior. Then yes
It's about entitlement. It's the feeling of entitlement that gives anyone the idea that everyone should be attracted to everything or there's something wrong with that person.

To attempt to shame someone into dating and sleeping with people is even worse.

And this is coming from someone who's on the receiving end of this so-called 'racism'.

Wtf, its about looking at this racist system that we're in and trying to sort it out. the issues that have been left over from colonialism and slavery that still affect BMEs communities with their self image and with the way white people look at BMEs.

it's about looking at why we, without even knowing the person's life, dont like each other if we're supposedly in an equal society
Wtf, its about looking at this racist system that we're in and trying to sort it out. the issues that have been left over from colonialism and slavery that still affect BMEs communities with their self image and with the way white people look at BMEs.

it's about looking at why we, without even knowing the person's life, dont like each other if we're supposedly in an equal society

Once again the entitlement shows.

You believe that people need to have justifiable reasons to not date or have sex with anyone.
Once again the entitlement shows.

You believe that people need to have justifiable reasons to not date or have sex with anyone.

no. i believe the reason people choose not to date or mix with other races is due to external perceptions put upon them by society. there is something palpably wrong when a person say i will not, no matter what, date [insert race]. it's the same as saying i will never hire [insert race].
No its understandable. You like what you like and that is your preference. If you treat other races differently though then that is racist.
no. i believe the reason people choose not to date or mix with other races is due to external perceptions put upon them by society. there is something palpably wrong when a person say i will not, no matter what, date [insert race]. it's the same as saying i will never hire [insert race].

You have just proven my point.

You think there needs to be 'justifiable' reasons not to date someone, and people who have reason you disagree with are 'wrong' and need to be fixed.

No, it's not the same thing.

Hiring someone to work for you doesn't require sexual or romantic attraction, but only a sufficient level of skills and knowledge. It's objective, not subjective.

Hiring someone is a temporary situation, and if a mistake, can be rectified easily the next month. Dating someone is much more high stake and can potentially be a lifetime issue.

Hiring someone concerns other people's human rights and basic needs, ie it concerns whether that person can earn enough money to make a living. Dating someone is not the same thing.

It's stupid to compare the two. What you are actually is forcing someone to have sex with another person s/he is not attracted to. That's called rape.

And the entitlement I'm talking about is the idea that people need to be able to explain themselves, without shame, why they are not sleeping with any one person. Your argument doesn't stand - all factors in attraction are shaped by the society, whether you prefer bigger eyes, or blond hair, or a fit body, or an Oxbridge graduate, or an ibanker, or a prince, or the colour of someone's skin. If the last factor needs to be fixed, surely by your logic all other factors also need to be fixed. We'd need to achieve Sameness and get rid of all personal choices, preferences, tastes, and judgements.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Aren't you a lesbian if I recalled (no discriminatory intents intended)?

I'm quite sure most of us women would think that an ideal penis would be 6-7.5 inches in length, varying of course with the size of the man.

So a minimum of 0.5 inches above average?

Aight then...
Original post by Retired_Messiah
So a minimum of 0.5 inches above average?

Aight then...
Sorry, I'm just not into Asians.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Sorry, I'm just not into Asians.

eh you like what you like I suppose
It is making an arbitrary distinction based on race. So, yes.
attraction is determined by society.

Let's just hope and pray this person isn't doing biology at uni
Original post by TTWNGCBC
It is making an arbitrary distinction based on race. So, yes.

It's only that if there is a racist motive behind it, such as if you don't date other races because you consider them inferior or something. Different races have different physical features and some people have types so some races could fall outside of that type which means they wouldn't be attracted to someone of that race.
Reply 116
Original post by driftawaay
So assuming you you have dark hair and brown eyes. What if you marry a blonde woman and your kid turns out blonde and blue eyed and looks nothing like you?

The 'I want my kids to look like me' reasoning always seems like a racist excuse to me tbh, but no, not being attracted to a race of women doesn't mean you are racist. Some people have 'types' so for example if your type is pale ginger with freckles then you are not going to find black females sexually attractive. You cannot help what physical features you are attracted to, just like you can't help what food you like.

To disregard an entire race though? So much diversity within a race. Maybe its not racist by definition...could subtle racial undertones..but most certainly ignorance.
it's Fact lad

Since?
3 minute conversations with strangers and 1 hour work meetings are the times to be politically correct. The rest of your life is not.
You have just proven my point.

You think there needs to be 'justifiable' reasons not to date someone, and people who have reason you disagree with are 'wrong' and need to be fixed.

No, it's not the same thing.

Hiring someone to work for you doesn't require sexual or romantic attraction, but only a sufficient level of skills and knowledge. It's objective, not subjective.

Hiring someone is a temporary situation, and if a mistake, can be rectified easily the next month. Dating someone is much more high stake and can potentially be a lifetime issue.

Hiring someone concerns other people's human rights and basic needs, ie it concerns whether that person can earn enough money to make a living. Dating someone is not the same thing.

It's stupid to compare the two. What you are actually is forcing someone to have sex with another person s/he is not attracted to. That's called rape.

And the entitlement I'm talking about is the idea that people need to be able to explain themselves, without shame, why they are not sleeping with any one person. Your argument doesn't stand - all factors in attraction are shaped by the society, whether you prefer bigger eyes, or blond hair, or a fit body, or an Oxbridge graduate, or an ibanker, or a prince, or the colour of someone's skin. If the last factor needs to be fixed, surely by your logic all other factors also need to be fixed. We'd need to achieve Sameness and get rid of all personal choices, preferences, tastes, and judgements.

you're working on the presumption that what people find attractive is of their own free will. im telling you it's not (entirely) of their free will and ATTRACTION is (largely) manipulated by society.

dating/marrying outside your race is a highly important issue in society. it doesnt matter if we're equal in the law if we're not equal in society, and if a significant number of people are not willing at all to go out or marry black women, then a lot of black women will not rise up the mobility ladder, gain better social status have good job opportunities etc etc

if people stick to their races all the time then you end up with de facto segregation anyway.

there is nothing wrong with preferences, but there is something wrong with exclusionary tastes. Plus you dont have to explain **** mate.

this is for the people who say " i would NEVER date a Chinese/black/jew/ whatever". they dont have to feel guilty i cant control their feelings. however if they think like that they are racist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending