Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Vodka to destroy the demonic Depression watch

ReputationRep:
    As a first year uni student, Things are not going my way. Whilst people around my halls greet me, know me and sometimes i can go to raves/clubs with them.

I am the most unpopular boy in the uni. I have tried societies but whenever i see them outside of the society, they ignore me (even the president!) so i **** off and leave and never come back.I have no friends, I have no ****ing money in my bank account and i predict in a few months, my flatmates will start planning to oust me as i don't think i'm part of of their plans to live with any of them (hence my plan to live alone by 2nd year)To stop the pain of depression, i have been drinking alcohol.

I know i'm not dependent but i need the pain to be taken away by force so the plan is to drink vodka at least 3/4 times a week in a bid to not drop out or go back to my painful family every weekend.

Do you think this is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is a solution, not the solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Alcohol is a solution, not the solution.
    Then it shall be the solution for now lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uyi 95)
    As a first year uni student, Things are not going my way. Whilst people around my halls greet me, know me and sometimes i can go to raves/clubs with them.

I am the most unpopular boy in the uni. I have tried societies but whenever i see them outside of the society, they ignore me (even the president!) so i **** off and leave and never come back.I have no friends, I have no ****ing money in my bank account and i predict in a few months, my flatmates will start planning to oust me as i don't think i'm part of of their plans to live with any of them (hence my plan to live alone by 2nd year)To stop the pain of depression, i have been drinking alcohol.

I know i'm not dependent but i need the pain to be taken away by force so the plan is to drink vodka at least 3/4 times a week in a bid to not drop out or go back to my painful family every weekend.

Do you think this is a good idea?
    Don't rely on drinking. Your SU will have some awesome services to help you out (for free too!) go and chat to them and they'll provide you with someone to talk.

ReputationRep:
    You are not alone in finding it difficult to settle in at uni, many people do and there are services designed to help you out like uni counselling, support groups, uni GP surgery and night line. With the societies just try some different ones if the first ones have not worked out. Someone once told me it takes talking to someone on at least 12 separate occasions for people to become really comfortable and familiar around you. So don't take it personally building bonds and friendships takes time. I think the problem with a lot of first year students is that they latch onto the first people they see.

Please don't rely on vodka to self-medicate (or anything else maladaptive) I'm sure deep down you know that ultimately it will only hurt you more. I'm sure you're a nice person and you deserve to have a great time at uni so please don't lose hope. Good luck, stay strong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Don't rely on drinking. Your SU will have some awesome services to help you out (for free too!) go and chat to them and they'll provide you with someone to talk.
    They would but the problem is I have no trust anymore. After all, i'm not with my family (who they will threat me to see a psychologist).

It is fine, I doubt i will become an alcoholic in uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusbloom)
    You are not alone in finding it difficult to settle in at uni, many people do and there are services designed to help you out like uni counselling, support groups, uni GP surgery and night line. With the societies just try some different ones if the first ones have not worked out. Someone once told me it takes talking to someone on at least 12 separate occasions for people to become really comfortable and familiar around you. So don't take it personally building bonds and friendships takes time. I think the problem with a lot of first year students is that they latch onto the first people they see.

Please don't rely on vodka to self-medicate (or anything else maladaptive) I'm sure deep down you know that ultimately it will only hurt you more. I'm sure you're a nice person and you deserve to have a great time at uni so please don't lose hope. Good luck, stay strong
    Are you in uni?

Societies have not worked, I went hundreds and i ****ed off from all of them except one (because i'm attracted to this girl). Nothing has worked. My Flatmates are very popular in halls and i feel the only to join them is to drink vodka. I'm even tempted to start smoking weed to become 'one of them'.

Thanks for you reply anyway

ReputationRep:
    Don't resort to alcohol, you will become dependant on it. Despite saying it's a solution for now, you don't know how your body would respond if you reduce your intake of alcohol, some people become addicted very easily. You also stated that you have no money, it's better to save money than spend it on alcohol. Try speaking to some people or join the university gym and make friends there, I'm sure there's still things you can do to find friends.

ReputationRep:
    Are you in uni?

Societies have not worked, I went hundreds and i ****ed off from all of them except one (because i'm attracted to this girl). Nothing has worked. My Flatmates are very popular in halls and i feel the only to join them is to drink vodka. I'm even tempted to start smoking weed to become 'one of them'.

Thanks for you reply anyway
    Yes I am at uni also and I am a mature student. What are you actually interested in? What are your passions? Are there any new skills you would like to learn? Any causes you would like volunteer for?

I know that it is hard, but just because your flatmates are popular does not mean they will make good friends. Are you aware that what a lot of people, especially these party animals, call friends at uni are actually more like drinking and going out buddies? And as for smoking the weed that is your choice but are your flatmates going to be there to pick up the pieces if it all gets a bit too much for you?

ReputationRep:
    They would but the problem is I have no trust anymore. After all, i'm not with my family (who they will threat me to see a psychologist).

It is fine, I doubt i will become an alcoholic in uni
    What is wrong with seeing a psychologist? They can work wonders in getting you out of a rut.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.