Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

the pressure of A2 exams and AS retakes is getting to me
    losing all motivation...

things going on at home - family drama

-cheating, bro running away, police, social services, abuse (all kinds), self harm, left alone with 5 mouths to feed for a month and a half + school + arguments etc,

basically my life is like a movie

this all started ages ago but it SUPER escalated in january (2015), and it has been a bloody terrifying roller coaster since then, it has died down now - well a bit - but i'm mentally exhausted i feel like I've been running a marathon this whole time I'm so tired

I can't really speak to a teacher or something in case they tell my parents = more drama, but also situation is better than it was a month ago so can't really use it as an excuse now because nothing dramatic is going on at this instant (thank God), but I'm mentally ****ed - do you get me? Idk i can't explain it

mock exams coming up, exams every week, assessments coming up, coursework deadlines, UCAS deadlines, tonnes of homework... so MUCH WORK TO DO

I just want it all to stop, i want it all to end, i need a break

my break is university

but right now i'm not going to get any grades with my mind being in the dark... dark sad lonely place it is in right now

any help/ advice? thanks y'all

anybody?... really need someone to just say something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    anybody?... really need someone to just say something
    Hi Anon

A complex situation you have there, without doubt.

I think in times like this it is worth remembering, dull platitude that it is, that things will get better - you are working towards qualifications which will change your circumstances and life forever, for the better.

If things are truly proving to be too much, you can always discuss extenuating circumstances with a teacher or advisor at school - they are all too willing to provide.

If things don't work out, you can do retakes, whatever it may take.

Perhaps speak to a a doctor or a priest? You don't have to be ill or religious for these options, they are just confidential providers of support. Other support services are also available for advice.

Remember that you are so young, everything ahead. There is no time limit to achieving the things you want to achieve, so perhaps that eases the pressure?

(Original post by Alextay28)
    Hi Anon

A complex situation you have there, without doubt.

I think in times like this it is worth remembering, dull platitude that it is, that things will get better - you are working towards qualifications which will change your circumstances and life forever, for the better.

If things are truly proving to be too much, you can always discuss extenuating circumstances with a teacher or advisor at school - they are all too willing to provide.

If things don't work out, you can do retakes, whatever it may take.

Perhaps speak to a a doctor or a priest? You don't have to be ill or religious for these options, they are just confidential providers of support. Other support services are also available for advice.

Remember that you are so young, everything ahead. There is no time limit to achieving the things you want to achieve, so perhaps that eases the pressure?
    hey thanks for the response

yeah i guess things do get better but i'm just having difficulties coping with everything right now... i guess they have slightly improved from say a few months ago but obviously situation isn't ideal at the moment and neither is my mental state... i don't know WHEN it will get better and idk i guess i just wanted to vent

this is the thing, because the situation... or situationS aren't as bad as before, i can't really discuss it with teachers and everyone, i can't be like "this happened a month ago" because it happened a month ago you know? it's just my head that is the problem now

plus teachers have a duty of care so some issues are better left untold

i have been trying to talk to a GP for ages but i'm scared a) of confidentiality and b) i feel VERY uncomfortable when talking about anything personal face to face with someone. I hate it when people express sympathy or give me pitiful smiles, it makes me feel so small.

It does make me feel better to know that i'll have other options if things don't work out and my life won't be over if i don't do well in a few months

again, thanks for the response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hey thanks for the response

yeah i guess things do get better but i'm just having difficulties coping with everything right now... i guess they have slightly improved from say a few months ago but obviously situation isn't ideal at the moment and neither is my mental state... i don't know WHEN it will get better and idk i guess i just wanted to vent

this is the thing, because the situation... or situationS aren't as bad as before, i can't really discuss it with teachers and everyone, i can't be like "this happened a month ago" because it happened a month ago you know? it's just my head that is the problem now

plus teachers have a duty of care so some issues are better left untold

i have been trying to talk to a GP for ages but i'm scared a) of confidentiality and b) i feel VERY uncomfortable when talking about anything personal face to face with someone. I hate it when people express sympathy or give me pitiful smiles, it makes me feel so small.

It does make me feel better to know that i'll have other options if things don't work out and my life won't be over if i don't do well in a few months

again, thanks for the response
    No problem My advice could be better haha.

A few additional thoughts before I go though...

I had myriad difficulties when I was your age - chronic depression, serious mental issues - but, after a few years of difficulties, some retakes and some years out, I ended up at medical school. There is this belief that prevails in conventional education that everything has to be decided ajnd achieved by the age of 18... once you get into the real world, you realise that there is no conventional situation. Everyone achieves at their own pace, according to their own circumstances.

I would definitely reccomend speaking to a chaplain, doctor or school advisor - just because your difficulties haven't been so acute in the past few months doesn't prevent extenuating circumstances and a doctor will not breach confidentiality. This is only done in the case of a patient being a threat to themselves or others. You do not sound suicidal, or homicidal .

(Original post by Alextay28)
    No problem My advice could be better haha.

A few additional thoughts before I go though...

I had myriad difficulties when I was your age - chronic depression, serious mental issues - but, after a few years of difficulties, some retakes and some years out, I ended up at medical school. There is this belief that prevails in conventional education that everything has to be decided ajnd achieved by the age of 18... once you get into the real world, you realise that there is no conventional situation. Everyone achieves at their own pace, according to their own circumstances.

I would definitely reccomend speaking to a chaplain, doctor or school advisor - just because your difficulties haven't been so acute in the past few months doesn't prevent extenuating circumstances and a doctor will not breach confidentiality. This is only done in the case of a patient being a threat to themselves or others. You do not sound suicidal, or homicidal .
    You are an idol :adore:

I admire your ability to just put the past in the past and move forward to do what you wanted to do regardless of what you went through - and i hope to be like you. I do agree there is a lot of pressure right now to do well before you're 18 and a belief that anyone who doesn't do well before that age just lives a life of misery but you're living proof against that and I agree that everyone works at their own pace

I will take your advice and try to speak to my doctor, and yeah i am currently not suicidal just not in a good place.

Thank you for the help and inspiration

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.