ReputationRep:
    Yeah, **** what people think, just be you, whether it's accepted or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    bad for people and should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    bad for people and should be banned.
    Do you have any justification/reasoning for this or are you just a bigot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    Do you have an justification/reasoning for this or are you just a bigot?
    Is that really the correct way to start a debate? So now not point me talking to you as anything I say you will take as me being bigoted. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    Is that really the correct way to start a debate? So now not point me talking to you as anything I say you will take as me being bigoted. Well done.
    I apologise, I was a bit rash. Go on though - why?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any justification/reasoning for this or are you just a bigot?
    He's just an old fashioned bell end

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    but she asked is there any justification which i think is a nice way of starting a debate. chill

ReputationRep:
    Put a knife near my magic stick and I'll make you disappear.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely support it. Scientific evidence currently suggests mis-timed hormone releases during prenatal development, creating neurological structure incongruous with the body's sex, which explains a lot tbh.
    And no, gender dysphoria is not really a choice. Arguably seeking treatment for it (I.e. transitioning, as nothing else actually works) is a choice.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise, I was a bit rash. Go on though - why?
    As the whole thing involved in it is physically bad for people who get the operations. Sure they may mentally want it, but physically it isn't beneficial. So why would anyone who cares about peoples health allow such an operation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oscar.)
    He's just an old fashioned bell end

Posted from TSR Mobile
    End of a penis? Is that what you are calling me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    but she asked is there any justification which i think is a nice way of starting a debate. chill
    How about no.

ReputationRep:
    Mature adults...''whatever it's their life''

but I do wonder with all these case coming out of kids who're like 5-6?

Of course I don't think any of them actually get surgery at that age but some of their parents are really ''supportive'', which obviously if they are genuinely ''trapped in the wrong body'' is great...but what if some of them are just getting confused because the grown ups around them are... being very confusing? Then attempting to process all this (at an age when they still probably believe in Santa) and as all kids do, try and please their parents.... Who then may well take that as a cue that they need to further ''support their kids being transgendered''

I mean Christ, if someone had asked me age 6 if I was ''really happy being a boy''
    I'd have probably said 'Well actually, I'd much rather be a Tyrannosaurus rex'! lol

ReputationRep:
    As the whole thing involved in it is physically bad for people who get the operations. Sure they may mentally want it, but physically it isn't beneficial. So why would anyone who cares about peoples health allow such an operation.
    Why isn't it 'physically beneficial'? Do you not see a person's mental health as important?

Also, do you know what isn't 'physically beneficial'? Suicide. Because that's what some trans people attempt (and sometimes complete) if preventing from transitioning.

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly, all surgery is physically bad for people, so that's not really the most convincing argument imho. Going off that line of argument, too, surely you'd ban all surgeries that you considered non-essential, which raises 2 problems: first, who are you to decide what is essential and what isn't (what regulatory body is going to want to be responsible for that?), and secondly, a ban on all surgeries you consider to be non-essential surely infringes upon people's freedom to choose and their free will, e.g. if someone wants a boob job or a penis enlargement and you consider that non-essential so ban it, you're infringing upon their human rights.

Ignoring all of that though, what would you say is worse: the physical risks from surgery, or the depression/self-hatred/mental illness/self-harm/increased suicide risk that often (not always, everyone's different) stems from feeling you're in the wrong body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Why isn't it 'physically beneficial'? Do you not see a person's mental health as important?

Also, do you know what isn't 'physically beneficial'? Suicide. Because that's what some trans people attempt (and sometimes complete) if preventing from transitioning.
    You do know must Transgendered people murder themselves because people treat them like rubbish and abuse them. Not because they can't get an operation. So the operation isn't vital for their mental health, rather acceptance by their family and friends is.

It isn't physically beneficial because of what is happening to them through the operation and treatment process.

ReputationRep:
    You do know must Transgendered people murder themselves because people treat them like rubbish and abuse them. Not because they can't get an operation. So the operation isn't vital for their mental health, rather acceptance by their family and friends is.

It isn't physically beneficial because of what is happening to them through the operation and treatment process.
    You can't say that for every transgender person the reason for suicide/self-harm is not being accepted - partly because there's often with mental illness more than one cause, but partly because in our society gender/gender identity is often reduced to what your genitals look like.

ReputationRep:

1. No-one 'murders themselves'. They complete suicide. Murder is the illegal and intentional killing of another human being. Suicide is not murder.

2. Parents of trans girls sometimes describe finding their young child trying to cut off her penis even before the girl is old enough to go to school. Don't you think that shows strong dysphoria around genitals that is unconnected to societal abuse?

3. If you think that it is the way society treats trans people that causes their mental health problems, why are you treating them the same way?

ReputationRep:
    This surgery is a complete waste of everyone's time

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.