Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What could be the cause of a whining sound during acceleration ? watch

ReputationRep:
    My car is a 2006 mk2 focus sport TDCI 1.8

A few weeks ago my friend cut my MAF sensor wiring because the wires were torn, he botched it up because he ran out of wires and he still hasn't got the wires yet to finish the job. I think he's going to fuse them onto the current wires.

The next day I noticed a whining noise, usually only at higher speeds for example when overtaking or going up a steep hill and putting my foot down in 3rd gear. As soon as I take it out of gear the whine stops. The noise is not present during idle and cannot be heard by opening the bonnet with engine ticking or revving.
    could that have anything to do with cutting maf sensor wires ?

Timing belt was changed about 6 months ago.

Turbo bearing was replaced about 3 months ago ( bearing was from a car salvage yard) as turbo was off anyway during EGR replacement , my friend said it had slight play in turbo bearing so said it made sense to replace it whilst it was off anyway.

I've only began noticing this sound over recent weeks

Car is very steady on idle, smooth also

any ideas ?

thanks to all

ReputationRep:
    Could be a number if things, gearbox, diff, main output bearing, or even fan bel, or as you suggest turbo bearing, you need to be a lot more specific about where the noise is coming from, might be an idea to get someone in the passenger seat to listen to it see if they can get a better idea of where it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy as punch)
    My car is a 2006 mk2 focus sport TDCI 1.8

A few weeks ago my friend cut my MAF sensor wiring because the wires were torn, he botched it up because he ran out of wires and he still hasn't got the wires yet to finish the job. I think he's going to fuse them onto the current wires.

The next day I noticed a whining noise, usually only at higher speeds for example when overtaking or going up a steep hill and putting my foot down in 3rd gear. As soon as I take it out of gear the whine stops. The noise is not present during idle and cannot be heard by opening the bonnet with engine ticking or revving.
    could that have anything to do with cutting maf sensor wires ?

Timing belt was changed about 6 months ago.

Turbo bearing was replaced about 3 months ago ( bearing was from a car salvage yard) as turbo was off anyway during EGR replacement , my friend said it had slight play in turbo bearing so said it made sense to replace it whilst it was off anyway.

I've only began noticing this sound over recent weeks

Car is very steady on idle, smooth also

any ideas ?

thanks to all
    Sell your car while you can, even for £500 and just buy a 65 plated car atleast that will be reliable and under warranty

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViewsFromSi6)
    Sell your car while you can, even for £500 and just buy a 65 plated car atleast that will be reliable and under warranty

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No ****ing way, least I'd want is £2500

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy as punch)
    No ****ing way, least I'd want is £2500
    You'll be lucky!

ReputationRep:
    Considering what an absolute heap it seems to be, I'd be expecting a grand at most!

Whining with your foot down can be a number of things. It still baffles me that you had the bloody turbo out just to play with the EGR :bird: If you pulled a turbo bearing out of a scrap car it may well be that again. With turbos I'd either get it professionally rebuilt or just throw a whole new one in there. AFAIK they aren't "user serviceable", especially by the kind of monkey your friend seems to be. If it is the turbo then bend over and get out the Vaseline cos it's gunna hurt to get it done properly this time!

I'd also check your gearbox oil. Low gearbox oil can cause accelerated wear on the gears which will cause them to whine when under stress. Third gear on my heap of junk Scénic made an absolute racket from being run low on oil one too many times..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 26, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.