Turn on thread page Beta

Sick and tired of the soft language used to describe female on male sex crimes watch

ReputationRep:
    As some of you may know, I created a news thread which was about an 11 year old boy being raped by his babysitter; a 21 year old woman. The language used to describe the incident in the article aggravated me. It said he was 'seduced' and she 'had sex' with him. There was no real mention of rape and child molestation, and especially not in the title.

Well there have been many articles about female on male sex crimes written in such a poor fashion, but this one (given the context) takes the cake:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...urt-hears.html (not a new story btw, just using it as part of the rant)

This woman had been raping a boy for TWO YEARS... She raped him 100 times!!! Instead of saying that though, the writer felt it necessary to say she 'had sex' with him 100 times over 2 years and she 'seduced' him into the act. He's a freaking child! Yes I know how rape is defined by criminal law in the UK, but this at least qualifies as statutory rape. These articles should be reporting the crimes as they are, not softening the blow by using incorrect language. Such language plays a part in harming the dicussion that needs to be had on this issue. Indeed, people tend to take male rape or sexual abuse much less seriously and some even find it funny. I would ask some of you to refrain from joking about the boy that was raped 100 times... but I'm guessing it'll happen anyway.

In short, language is a powerful tool, but if even the media can't be mature about female on male sex crimes and report the story as is, without using phrases that invalidate the experience of the victim, then we have a serious problem on our hands.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that the double standard is sickening and quite baffling to read...
    The other weird thing is that quite a lot of males will express their envy over the abuse? Like "oh wish i had a teacher like that", "why is he complaining", that's quite problematic

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely understand your anger. When i become a billionaire(hopefully), i am spending most of the money on organisations that help male victims of rape, abuse and the society in general that modern feminism created.

ReputationRep:
    as a female, this makes me want to puke

i literally just gagged

wow... just wow... i am speechless

disgusting

poor kid

****ing hell i weep for humanity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    I agree that the double standard is sickening and quite baffling to read...
    The other weird thing is that quite a lot of males will express their envy over the abuse? Like "oh wish i had a teacher like that", "why is he complaining", that's quite problematic
    Yeah, unfortunately you're right. Alot of the time in the comments of these articles or indeed even in my thread a few weeks back, some guys felt the need to write 'nice' or 'would be cool if she were hot' etc. It's disgusting, this cultural pressure to conform and be this so called 'alpha male' who always wants sex and never says no.

ReputationRep:
    Might start a thread on this, as it deserves it: but i really dislike how they name accused people before they have been convicted. Its really sick- many men must have their lives ruined over this. Its total BS to say it helps victims come forward- tough ****. If you were raped, report it or shut up. Possibly-innocent people shouldn't have their lives made hell unless convicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Might start a thread on this, as it deserves it: but i really dislike how they name accused people before they have been convicted. Its really sick- many men must have their lives ruined over this. Its total BS to say it helps victims come forward- tough ****. If you were raped, report it or shut up. Possibly-innocent people shouldn't have their lives made hell unless convicted.
    Completely agree. News stories will always twist an accusation (i.e so-and-so "accused" of <crime>", so that it makes them sound guilty. What's more, once someone is accused of a crime like sexual assault, there will always be an assumption that they committed the crime, but just got away. I think that except in special cases, it should be illegal to reveal someone being accused of a crime before the court case is over.

(Original post by Danz123)
    In short, language is a powerful tool, but if even the media can't be mature about female on male sex crimes and report the story as is, without using phrases that invalidate the experience of the victim, then we have a serious problem on our hands.
    While this is starting to change, there is a general light-heartedness about male sexual assault. There is simply no sympathy for male victims of sexual abuse, with the possible exception of some victims on male-on-male abuse. It's generally treated as a joke.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.