Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I don't always see the glow plug symbol on the dashboard display ? watch

ReputationRep:
    I very rarely see the glow plug light when I turn my car ignition on, does that mean it needs replacing ?
    I have a few problems with my car as well which I guess a fault in the glow plug relay could create.

Very rarely I see it on the dashboard but it does come on sometimes

any ideas?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware they'll only come on when they're needed, when the engine is at a low temperature, can't say I'd know what the temperature is but they won't always come on, even during the winter. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out by a trusted mechanic just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so obsessed with the glow plugs? They barely do anything, you could disconnect them completely and the only thing you'd notice was slightly longer to crank and a bigger puff of black smoke - but only on cold mornings. On any morning over 5ºc and it'd start as normal. When the light doesn't come on it's just the ECU ascertaining that they aren't necessary and simply not using them. I never used them on my old car and haven't yet used them on my current one, and both fire/d up the moment you turn the key.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of modern cars energise the glow plugs (if they're necessary) when the door handle is opened, but it's quite likely the symbol won't appear until the ignition is turned on. If the thing is starting ok, don't worry about it...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.