Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    1. In my small private school, I have a teacher who teaches both Chemistry and Physics. The problem is, he seems unqualified; every year, he ends up behind the course - to the extent of students having to come back during holidays to catch up because the class hadn't finished the course... His 'style' is to go through everything in chemistry/physics in 'full detail' meaning we run out of time to finish the course. Not to mention some of the lessons are off-course (as in using lesson time to give unnecessary details that isn't in the syllabus and will barely benefit anyone or randomly talking about unrelated subjects such as history). Worst of all, he is literally one of those stereotypical, boring and old teachers with a slow, monotone voice. Considering I just chose to do triple science, this frightens me. I don't want D's or C's but in every lesson I just feel like falling asleep. I do not have this problem in any other subject. What should I do?

    I was in a similar situation in that I had a terrible chemistry teacher for GCSE. I was doing triple science and I wanted to do well because I'd like a career in science. In the end I got an A* but I basically had to teach myself. These were a few things that helped me:
    I used to bring my textbook into school and either follow the textbook as they were teaching or if they were waffling I just worked my own way through the book.
    I found out about all the resources that were available to me- there are some really useful Youtube videos which were a lifesaver for me!
    We also managed to get a group of us together that wanted to learn and we used to help eachother as well as getting help from another teacher.
    You have every right to complain though because it isn't right. If you need any help with science just ask
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.