Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lecherous Lecturer watch

Announcements

One of my Lecturers on my course, in fact the head of the department, is totally inappropriate. He often passes comments on girl's appearance and I feel like his behavior is possibly sexual harassment.

Someone asked how work should be presented as we were introducing our ideas for a TV drama, as in whether should it be on power point or just simply verbally spoken however he replied "Well, ideally I'd like you to be nicely presented in great clothes." Another time he was asked if we are still wearing black clothing for practical lessons and he said "Well, I personally prefer Latex." He has made many other comments in front of a large group and even on occasion made just me personally feel uncomfortable with his comments.

He has even kissed three students in my year, and not just closed mouthed, at a social event. I have heard rumors of there being people in other years.

In fact he is known within my course for this behavior and yet, despite it being odd and in my opinion sexual harassment nothing is done. He continues to pass degrading comments and no one bats an eye lid. In fact when talking about it with some individuals I have heard comments such as "He's harmless.", "I think some of the girls are over exaggerating" and "Its just how he is."

I have considered sending an email or something to my university but then what if I am just blowing it out of proportion? Hardly anyone else on the course sees it as an issue, everyone just accepts it, even other lecturers. Should I make an email or just let things be? What if he did something that made someone really uncomfortable or worse and I could have stopped it. But then If he did end up getting suspended or fired I could be responsible for getting rid of a much loved teacher who is retiring at the end of this year anyway.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hardly anyone else on the course sees it as an issue, everyone just accepts it
    Wasn't this the sort of excuse for not doing something about Jimmy Savile? Why not pop to your student Welfare office and ask for some advice. Before you start the conversation it might be worth ensuring that the person you talk to understands that the conversation should remain confidential until you decide how to pursue matters. And do pursue it. This sort of behaviour is unacceptable.

Good luck!

Wasn't this the sort of excuse for not doing something about Jimmy Savile? Why not pop to your student Welfare office and ask for some advice. Before you start the conversation it might be worth ensuring that the person you talk to understands that the conversation should remain confidential until you decide how to pursue matters. And do pursue it. This sort of behaviour is unacceptable.

Good luck!
    Whoa, steady on there! Jimmy Savile was a predatory, serial paedophile, so let's keep this in perspective. The OP has mentioned the lecturer kissing girls in her university year, so by association, the girls must be 18 or over. Doesn't mean they can't be emotionally vulnerable, but they're not legally recognised as vulnerable in the same way a child is. Basically, they're adults, and they're old enough to decide if they want to engage in such conduct or not. So let's just be clear about what we're dealing with here.

That said, I think your advice about seeing Student Welfare is sound. Probably better to handle it that way than storm in and start firing off emails left, right, and centre.

Whoa, steady on there! Jimmy Savile was a predatory, serial paedophile, so let's keep this in perspective. The OP has mentioned the lecturer kissing girls in her university year, so by association, the girls must be 18 or over. Doesn't mean they can't be emotionally vulnerable, but they're not legally recognised as vulnerable in the same way a child is. Basically, they're adults, and they're old enough to decide if they want to engage in such conduct or not. So let's just be clear about what we're dealing with here.

That said, I think your advice about seeing Student Welfare is sound. Probably better to handle it that way than storm in and start firing off emails left, right, and centre.

Good luck!
    Thank you! I'll see student welfare soon.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.