Turn on thread page Beta

Why are SNP MPs so against English devolution? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand it, they are all for devolution when it benefits them, but when it comes to only English MPs voting on English issues it's suddenly terrible and it shouldn't be allowed? It doesn't make sense, surely if the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish get devolution of power, so should the English? Otherwise English MPs don't get to interfere with their issues, but they get to interfere with English issues? Can someone explain it to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Three words: Revoke Barnett Formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessThomas6)
    I don't understand it, they are all for devolution when it benefits them, but when it comes to only English MPs voting on English issues it's suddenly terrible and it shouldn't be allowed? It doesn't make sense, surely if the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish get devolution of power, so should the English? Otherwise English MPs don't get to interfere with their issues, but they get to interfere with English issues? Can someone explain it to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The scottish Parliament has huge powers that the SNP have refused to use. Better the blame somebody else rather than do something.

The SNP like to create division. They like upsetting English MPs in order to be able to say to their supporters 'they don't like us.'

ReputationRep:
    They should be applauding, as it's sure to destroy the Union. It's Unionists who ought to oppose EV4EL.

In fact it's logical why the SNP support it: the want the Union to end, and now they have fresh material to use to anger the Scots. It would be neutered as propaganda if they supported it, although they do, really.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This video should answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iusUq4-f5U

ReputationRep:
    The SNP support English devolution, but what they don't support is that these votes will take place in Westminster. Westminster is the place for all 650 MP's all should be eligible for any vote that takes place there.

(Original post by MatureStudent36)

The SNP like to create division.
    Oh come on... The Tory's are creating a division in Westminster. If they want a devolved parliament make another building, do it there, like everyone else!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's stupid because it will create 2 tiers of MP. Ultimately settng up an English and then Regional parliaments would've been a more effective way to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Because they'd all have to go back to Scotland and would lose their cushy jobs polishing the seats with their behinds in Westminster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    It's stupid because it will create 2 tiers of MP. Ultimately settng up an English and then Regional parliaments would've been a more effective way to do it.
    100% agree. If you're gonna do it, do it right... (Continue song )

ReputationRep:
    So England and Wales can feel the maximum impact of Scotland not being independent.

ReputationRep:
    Until very recently, the SNP did support English votes for English laws. They U-turned on it because they wanted to "hold the balance of power" in a hung parliament.

Quite rightly, both Labour and the Conservatives ended up saying they would not work with the SNP because they are a party that wants to destroy the United Kingdom rather than improve it. When there was a previous suggestion of a hung parliament, Alex Salmond said that he would want it "hung by a Scottish rope". That is not the sort of person a mainstream political party can do business with.

In addition to that, they are hoping - despite the majority of Scots agreeing with it - to make EVEL into yet another anti-UK grievance. It isn't and it's perfectly reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Three words: Revoke Barnett Formula.
    Um, English votes for English laws does not extend to anything that impacts on spending. That will remain entirely the preserve of all UK MPs. All three main UK parties support the retention of the Barnett formula at any rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    But I gather that no-one is particularly enthusiastic about a separate level of government to do what MPs can already do.

In reality, MPs cannot by convention vote on Scottish domestic affairs without legislative consent. This proposal create a legislative consent for England, based on a separately-constituted committee or grand committee representing England. That is quite reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    The SNP support English devolution, but what they don't support is that these votes will take place in Westminster. Westminster is the place for all 650 MP's all should be eligible for any vote that takes place there.

Oh come on... The Tory's are creating a division in Westminster. If they want a devolved parliament make another building, do it there, like everyone else!
    Westminster is in England so why can't they vote there? All 650 MPs sit there but there are debates there from certain parties, that's a ridiculous argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Um, English votes for English laws does not extend to anything that impacts on spending. That will remain entirely the preserve of all UK MPs. All three main UK parties support the retention of the Barnett formula at any rate.
    The whole English votes for England devolution will very likely lead to people in England questioning asking the West Lothian question and the Barnett Formula - once they are given some autonomy they will be asking for more and questioning the "unfairness".

ReputationRep:
    The whole English votes for England devolution will very likely lead to people in England questioning asking the West Lothian question and the Barnett Formula - once they are given some autonomy they will be asking for more and questioning the "unfairness".
    I don't think the plain people of England care all that much in the long-run. They want some level of fairness, but they're hardly going to go into grievance mode against the United Kingdom government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    They want some level of fairness, but they're hardly going to go into grievance mode against the United Kingdom government.
    But look how the Scots have become!

ReputationRep:
    Westminster is in England so why can't they vote there? All 650 MPs sit there but there are debates there from certain parties, that's a ridiculous argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Westminster may be in England, but it is the national parliament.

They say everyone else has devolution, why can't we? If you want to do, do it properly and do not disturb Westminster.

And The SNP, Labour and I all support EVEL, but not when it is done in Westminster..

ReputationRep:
    But look how the Scots have become!
    The English are not the Scots. Mercifully.

We've also got to consider that we have asymmetric devolution, to some extent, for a reason: that England is by many times over the largest component - by population, economic clout, and so on - of the United Kingdom. An English Parliament along the same lines as the Scottish Parliament could not realistically function within a union state.

Regionalisation could have worked, but the people did not want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    Westminster may be in England, but it is the national parliament.

They say everyone else has devolution, why can't we? If you want to do, do it properly and do not disturb Westminster.

And The SNP, Labour and I all support EVEL, but not when it is done in Westminster..
    I, for one, will always speak out for Parliament's role as the national legislature. But that's not to say its members cannot do two things at once. The consent phase that the current proposals introduce will be conducted by separately constituted committees. It's not like the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs are being marched out of the Commons when English business is held.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.