Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have began studying Computer Science. I really enjoyed reading about the subject prior to actually studying it, and thought this is definitely me, I can see myself in the industry as i'm a very creative person.

The computer science course I went onto study required a B at GCSE which i have. However the maths is ridiculously difficult and Its causing me to get behind in my other studies. Additionally I'm struggling to get my head around the coding, it just doesn't sink in, and it's making me rather down.

I am considering leaving the degree course and going onto my second choice, which was international business and marketing. Problem is I don't know whether or not to bite the bullet carry on with this year and fail, which I'm certain will happen or leave and begin on the other degree next September?

I'm disabled as well, I can't write, but can type and I feel this is contributing to not being able to get my head around the maths.

Any advice please? apologies if there is a similar thread out there.

ReputationRep:
    I am surprised you are doing maths. I did Electronics and Computing and where as there was an intense maths component, it only ever applied to electronics. My advice would be to hang in there. You are only a month in. However, you really need to knuckle down with your maths. Do a little every day. It is like learning a musical instrument and needs regular practice. Same with your coding. I remember really struggling over coding at uni. It got to the point about linked lists and I just lost the plot. However I kept at it and then all of a sudden something just clicked and ever since I have found it a breeze.

The question you need to answer for yourself is what evidence do you have that suggests International Business and Marketing would be any better? The worst case scenario is that you switch and then write this post again in another few months.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    What uni is this? Asking because I don't want a maths intensive course haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am on a Computer Science degree too (first year) and i am not enjoying the course like i thought i would, i just dont find it that interesting and most others have done coding etc. a GCSE or A Level and this degree is the first taste of coding, ever. I am struggling so bad and feling like i am way bhind everyone else. Also, i was weirdly thinking about swapping to Marketing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jollinsss)
    I am on a Computer Science degree too (first year) and i am not enjoying the course like i thought i would, i just dont find it that interesting and most others have done coding etc. a GCSE or A Level and this degree is the first taste of coding, ever. I am struggling so bad and feling like i am way bhind everyone else. Also, i was weirdly thinking about swapping to Marketing.
    Hi, may I ask which Uni? I'm also thinking of doing CS however have also not done coding before and fear I won't pick up things quick or will struggle with the Maths

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.