Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Long periods on cerazette pop mini pill- does it get better eventually?? watch

I started cerazette at the beginning of september after being on rigevidon for 2 years. I started my period 5 days later, exactly when my bleed wouldve happened if i was having my weekly break from rigevidon (11th september)and had a normal 7 day period. my next period started the 13th october, and it hasn't stopped since. it started off very week, then became heavier, than began to fade again by day 7.. however, it hasnt stopped, the blood is bright/dark red meaning its fresh and its quite a heavy flow. Im also having a lot of cramping. The period doesnt seem to be wearing off and I have never had one this long! has anyone else experienced long periods when starting the mini pill?

I am now worried this period is going to last for weeks like some women have expressed online. I am willing to persevere with cerazette as apart from the bleeding I feel fine, and I also can't go back on combined pill. But I wonder, do these prolonged periods decrease over time and does it get better? or when u have long periods it will always stay that way? I'm due to see my doctor in a few weeks time but I know she will tell me to give it more time but I dont see the point if theres no chance it will change for me.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on Cerazette for the last 4 years and the first few months I had a period every month like normal and then for years I started to bleed every few months and now this month out the blue, I've had three periods. I woke up to bleeding again today. All the periods has been heavy and uncomfortable like a conventional period so they have knocked the stuffing out of me. I've only had a few days here and there this month with no bleeding.

My doctor told me that with cerazette, its normal to bleed every month, not at all, all the time or once every few months, basically you bleed when the pill says so and any bleeding or no bleeding is to expected. If it continues though and is causing you discomfort, it's worth going to your GP to discuss your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I've been on Cerazette for the last 4 years and the first few months I had a period every month like normal and then for years I started to bleed every few months and now this month out the blue, I've had three periods. I woke up to bleeding again today. All the periods has been heavy and uncomfortable like a conventional period so they have knocked the stuffing out of me. I've only had a few days here and there this month with no bleeding.

My doctor told me that with cerazette, its normal to bleed every month, not at all, all the time or once every few months, basically you bleed when the pill says so and any bleeding or no bleeding is to expected. If it continues though and is causing you discomfort, it's worth going to your GP to discuss your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey thanks for replying. I guess my question was the same as how long is a piece of string. I dont mind carrying on if it decreases over time, but i guess with your example you had some what normal periods rather than long lasting ones when u first started out? is it dangerous in anyway to constantly be bleeding? i dont really understand how the womb can continue to shed for so many days and not be 'finished' yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hey thanks for replying. I guess my question was the same as how long is a piece of string. I dont mind carrying on if it decreases over time, but i guess with your example you had some what normal periods rather than long lasting ones when u first started out? is it dangerous in anyway to constantly be bleeding? i dont really understand how the womb can continue to shed for so many days and not be 'finished' yet
    Yeah when I first started Cerazette, for the first three or four months I bled like clockwork every month like a regular period and then it just stopped for months at a time and then now randomly I'm constantly bleeding. Other than the random bleeding, I've had no problems with the pill.

I don't think it's dangerous to constantly bleed on the pill as you don't actually lose that much blood, its about a teaspoonful with each period but it looks so much more because it gets diluted with other fluids and then womb lining. I had the implant before Cerazette and I had it for 2 months and I bled literally from the day I got it right up until the day I got it taken out and it was always heavy bleeding like what you get with the first day of a period, it just wouldn't stop. The doctor didn't seem worried that I constantly bleeding. The biggest reason I got it taken out was not so much the constant bleeding but the cramps associated with the bleeding and I also had bad mood swings on it.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's dangerous to constantly bleed on the pill as you don't actually lose that much blood .great.
    I search information it responsive video theme

Yeah when I first started Cerazette, for the first three or four months I bled like clockwork every month like a regular period and then it just stopped for months at a time and then now randomly I'm constantly bleeding. Other than the random bleeding, I've had no problems with the pill.

I don't think it's dangerous to constantly bleed on the pill as you don't actually lose that much blood, its about a teaspoonful with each period but it looks so much more because it gets diluted with other fluids and then womb lining. I had the implant before Cerazette and I had it for 2 months and I bled literally from the day I got it right up until the day I got it taken out and it was always heavy bleeding like what you get with the first day of a period, it just wouldn't stop. The doctor didn't seem worried that I constantly bleeding. The biggest reason I got it taken out was not so much the constant bleeding but the cramps associated with the bleeding and I also had bad mood swings on it.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah my periods been going on for 11 days with no signs of stopping.how long have you been bleeding and whats the longest its lasted for? iv heard girls say 3 weeks before. as long as its not dangerous! yeah the blood does seem quite a lot, theres never a moment where blood isn't being released (sorry if thats tmi).I just hope it decreases over time.I have no other issues with this pill apart from the bleeding either. I guess with your constant bleeding its probably a build up of the womb lining over those months or something?

(Original post by jennyferminh)
    I don't think it's dangerous to constantly bleed on the pill as you don't actually lose that much blood .great.
    I search information it responsive video theme
    thanks you!

A little update after my erratic period which lasted from the 13th october- 3rd november, I haven't had any bleeding but my period was "due" 2 days ago. I guess my periods are now all messed up and irregular, but do you think there is a chance I could be pregnant if my period doesn't turn up? or is it usual to start off cerazette with really long periods and then by the 3rd month never bleed again?

is it worrying that i haven't got my period yet or that my periods are really irregular??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    do you think its bad for periods to be irregular constantly changing their patterns? having a one week period, then a 3week period, then nothing at all the next month!! just wished it gave me regular periods

ReputationRep:
    I was on cerazette for about 6 months. I had similar side affects where I was basically having a period every other week as oppose to once a month. In the end the doctor told me that all side affects should wear off by the 3 month mark and if not, that pill probably isn't for you and you'll have to try a different method. It's not something you should carry on with because it could lead to an iron deficiency where you're bleeding too much. Maybe try a combination method (patch) as oppose to just progesterone?

(Original post by EmmaLouise759)
    I was on cerazette for about 6 months. I had similar side affects where I was basically having a period every other week as oppose to once a month. In the end the doctor told me that all side affects should wear off by the 3 month mark and if not, that pill probably isn't for you and you'll have to try a different method. It's not something you should carry on with because it could lead to an iron deficiency where you're bleeding too much. Maybe try a combination method (patch) as oppose to just progesterone?
    hi my question is about irregular bleeding that doesn't come every month but even longer! my last period was the 13th and lasted 2 and a half weeks, and i haven't had one this month. i was wondering if irregular bleeding is fine..

ReputationRep:
    hi my question is about irregular bleeding that doesn't come every month but even longer! my last period was the 13th and lasted 2 and a half weeks, and i haven't had one this month. i was wondering if irregular bleeding is fine..
    Irregular bleeding is fine for the first 3 months as I said. But if you are having prolonged bleeding for longer than that, or if they haven't settled down, it is worth considering trying a different method of contraception.

(Original post by EmmaLouise759)
    Irregular bleeding is fine for the first 3 months as I said. But if you are having prolonged bleeding for longer than that, or if they haven't settled down, it is worth considering trying a different method of contraception.
    and after the first 3 months what should it be? no periods/regular periods?? i heard that bleeding every few months (which is irregular) is a possibility too. x

ReputationRep:
    and after the first 3 months what should it be? no periods/regular periods?? i heard that bleeding every few months (which is irregular) is a possibility too. x
    It's best to check with your doctor as obviously i'm not qualified. It shouldn't be a problem if they become regular or even stop altogether. The only problem is if you keep having prolonged bleeding, not only it is a pain, but it can also affect iron levels in your body as you're losing a lot of blood.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.