Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've been thinking the past few days - should I buy a car before I'm 17?

My birthday is in February, and right now I have a part-time job. My thinking is buying everything in chunks - and not saving up a ton of money too spend it all at once.

But I'm not sure if it's a very good idea? I'd get my Mum/Step-Dad to drive it sometimes to keep it running and not just sitting there slowly rusting and dying, I'd keep it maintained, and I think having it sitting there would be good motivation to pass my test as quick as I could.

Thanks for your input in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a waste of money to me. You are going to buy something you can't use, but which will still cost you money to keep in tax, petrol and maintenance. You then have to pass your test which you might not do straight away. Nah - keep your money safe and buy a car when you can enjoy it.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I bought my first car on my 16th birthday.
    Spent the next year getting it roadworthy.
    Was good fun and it taught me a lot about car maintainence.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.