Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Crash Course Or Spread Out My Lessons? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

my birthday is only about 3/4 months away, and I'm already trying to plan my lessons and stuff, I'm so so keen to start driving asap

I've heard and researched these crash courses, that offer like 6 hours-a-day for 5 days full of just lessons, and it's supposed to pass you in a week. Basically, you start lessons on the Monday, and sit your practical on the Friday afternoon.

Has anyone does this? Do you guys think this is a good idea or should I just do the norm and spread out my lessons?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done that but even if you pass, you will struggle handling different conditions as you haven't had time to be exposed to them.

I started end of July and passed today. Smashed lessons between then and start of September - had 40 in total, including time for two tests and zero hours of private practice.

I would say if you can, spread them over a period of time, like 4 hours a week (4x1 or 4x1.5). You'll get better exposure and have more of a chance of being a safe driver.

It's fine passing but being truly able to call yourself a safe driver requires time on the road. Being rushed through might be good in the short run, but long run it may not be so great. Also, if you do intensive and fail, I'm not sure how you get help from then on. I guess you'll need to find a regular instructor and it may be hard for them to teach you once you've been accustomed to the intensive style of teaching (corner cutting. I.e. they're not going to make sure you're 100% comfortable with doing certain things before moving on).

So you may as well start with a regular instructor to begin with. Do that but maybe before starting, ask for guarantees that you can do 1.5 or 2 hour lessons 3/4 times a week and see what they say. You should be able to find someone good if you live in at least big town/small city location

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lynxpepsi)
    I've heard and researched these crash courses, that offer like 6 hours-a-day for 5 days full of just lessons,
    There's a reason they're called crash courses.

Instructors know them as pass and crash courses, they don't teach you how to drive, they teach you how to pass your test. Believe it or not, they're two completely different things

ReputationRep:
    Better to spread it out tbh! But I understand the impatience of wanting to drive ASAP, i was like that this summer when I was learning to drive. Thought I could try and do an intensive course but I ended up learning to drive for 2 months and passed first time. In retrospect I'm glad I did that.

ReputationRep:
    I know two people who did intensive courses and they both failed first time. Me and another friend spread out our lessons over a period of a few months with 1 lesson a week, we both passed firat time. Think that says it all I do think experience is more important, and getting used to the car over a longer period of time really helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Full-on intensive is too much to take in at once tbh. Doing all your lessons within the space of a number of weeks though, such as a month or two, is perfectly acceptable - this is generally called "semi-intensive". I think 3 hours of driving max per day is advisable and no more than 3-4 days per week, too much mental fatigue is involved if you do much more which can only hold you back. I did all my lessons in the space of 4 weeks, I've now had my license for nearly 3 years and I've yet to be involved in an accident.

ReputationRep:
    Spread it out.

After 2 hours of learner driving, you will be exhausted. Believe me.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the majority, spread them out. Intensive courses are absolute tripe imo, i get hacked off with driving for 2 hours, sometimes my head is killing me because there is so much to think about and remember when you are driving. A crash course does not give a guaranteed pass, and it isn't a good idea at all in terms of safety.

Say you do a week of intensive and pass, great now what? You don't know jack about driving. As a learner of four months, i am glad i didn't waste my money on an intensive course, yes i want to pass but not until i know I can drive safely and with confidence. There is so much more to driving that just steering and changing gears. I strongly advise against an intensive course for any new learner. Saving a few pennies isn't worth possibly endangering yourself and others.

Best of luck.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.