Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have to submit an essay for my application to Oxford, and it says that the word limit is 2,000. Basically I want to send in a section of my EPQ which I really like, but it's 2.100ish words and I'm not sure how strict the limit is. Do they even count; is it just a rough guide?

Would really appreciate it if someone could help me Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busterposey)
    Hi everyone,

I have to submit an essay for my application to Oxford, and it says that the word limit is 2,000. Basically I want to send in a section of my EPQ which I really like, but it's 2.100ish words and I'm not sure how strict the limit is. Do they even count; is it just a rough guide?

Would really appreciate it if someone could help me Thank you!
    Hi,
    I'm applying for oxford too, what are you applying for?
    Also, on the website it makes it pretty clear that the piece of writing should be no longer than 2000 words. So I would just stick to 2000 or under.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LI09)
    Hi,
    I'm applying for oxford too, what are you applying for?
    Also, on the website it makes it pretty clear that the piece of writing should be no longer than 2000 words. So I would just stick to 2000 or under.
    I'm applying for History and Italian at Queen's, I'm so desperate to get in haha! What about you?

And I've yeah I've seen that. However, I was at an Open Day and they seemed a bit more relaxed about it - Iif I remember rightly one professor mentioned that sometimes people send in whole EPQs and just indicate which bits they want to be read.

So basically I've got no idea.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for History and Italian at Queen's, I'm so desperate to get in haha! What about you?

And I've yeah I've seen that. However, I was at an Open Day and they seemed a bit more relaxed about it - Iif I remember rightly one professor mentioned that sometimes people send in whole EPQs and just indicate which bits they want to be read.

So basically I've got no idea.
    I've applied for History at Wadham. Aren't we all desperate to get in !!!
    I'm sure they won't penalise you for going over the limit but we can never know for certain :/

Have you prepared for the hat??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LI09)
    I've applied for History at Wadham. Aren't we all desperate to get in !!!
    I'm sure they won't penalise you for going over the limit but we can never know for certain :/

Have you prepared for the hat??
    I'm doing a few practise questions to get a feel for how they go, but I think that it being an aptitude test there's only a certain amount you can do.

The best thing is probably just to read books to get ideas, and then revise the ideas and societies you already know. The worst thing that could happen would be to not have anything to write about in the essay questions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a few practise questions to get a feel for how they go, but I think that it being an aptitude test there's only a certain amount you can do.

The best thing is probably just to read books to get ideas, and then revise the ideas and societies you already know. The worst thing that could happen would be to not have anything to write about in the essay questions.
    Yeah I'm just getting familiar with the type of questions and what they are looking for in a response! I am so worried about it though and feel Im not doing enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by or17)
    Yeah I'm just getting familiar with the type of questions and what they are looking for in a response! I am so worried about it though and feel Im not doing enough
    It sounds like you've done a fair bit, don't worry you'll probably be fine. I can definitely recommend sitting down to do one timed if you haven't already, just as a practice, and apart from that just keep reading stuff .

You can't really prepare that much for that HAT, it's the interview that I'm really cramming for!

ReputationRep:
    Does the word limit for English written work include quotes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjzxcvbnm)
    Does the word limit for English written work include quotes?
    I don't have any official information, but I'm almost certain it will

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any official information, but I'm almost certain it will
    Ahh that's annoying but thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.