Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UCL Information Management for Business watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Opinions on this course? I am planning to apply and select all business modules rather than IT. I heard it is regarded as a joke of a degree, so I want to hear feedback on this course.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year student at this course, I know quite a few of people who studied this and secured spring internships (mainly in BO and IT, although quite decent number of people do get front office internship), one person got a SW at JP Morgan in the investment banking division though.

About the course itself, it's mainly boring (lots of group work that everyone hates), the course itself isn't as good as how they sell it to you on open day. Most people don't even care about the IT side and one person literally didn't even talk about IT in his PS and still got an offer. Most people choose to study this just to get into UCL. I wouldn't regard it as a joke of a degree though.

I feel UCL uses this degree as a cash cow to milk money out of International students (the class is about 65% international).

Anymore question feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 96jaimin96)
    I'm a first year student at this course, I know quite a few of people who studied this and secured spring internships (mainly in BO and IT), one person got a SW at JP Morgan in the investment banking division though.

About the course itself, it's mainly boring (lots of group work that everyone hates), the course itself isn't as good as how they sell it to you on open day. Most people don't even care about the IT side and one person literally didn't even talk about IT in his PS and still got an offer. Most people choose to study this just to get into UCL. I wouldn't regard it as a joke of a degree though.

I feel UCL uses this degree as a cash cow to milk money out of International students (the class is about 65% international).

This is the kind of response I was looking for. I am interested in IT generally, but I would never want to take it further than studying it so I would be reluctant to work somewhere within IT, but I would say the management aspect is what I am mainly attracted to. Saying this, my question is if I apply for internships in IB's am I likely to get placed in a BO role or is there a good possibility of going into another role or somewhere else in finance, because IT isn't my cup of tea career wise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member1753327)
    This is the kind of response I was looking for. I am interested in IT generally, but I would never want to take it further than studying it so I would be reluctant to work somewhere within IT, but I would say the management aspect is what I am mainly attracted to. Saying this, my question is if I apply for internships in IB's am I likely to get placed in a BO role or is there a good possibility of going into another role or somewhere else in finance, because IT isn't my cup of tea career wise
    Generally speaking when applying for internships YOU decide what division YOU want to apply for, IBD and S&T are the most competitive. If you don't want to be in IT or tech roles within an investment bank then apply for other roles that interests you.

ReputationRep:
    How much IT is in this IMB course ? Is it possible to select certain modules aimed towards the business side of things rather than more IT based modules ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 96jaimin96)
    I'm a first year student at this course, I know quite a few of people who studied this and secured spring internships (mainly in BO and IT), one person got a SW at JP Morgan in the investment banking division though.

do you have to have an interview for the course.
    Are there any entrepreneur like minded people on the course

ReputationRep:
    I'm a IMB grad, my view = mediocore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenomorph)
    I'm a IMB grad, my view = mediocore.
    also are the career destination show on their website accurate for most people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grandeur10)
    also are the career destination show on their website accurate for most people
    Well that would vary from year to year. Let's put it this way you'll get to the 1st round interviews for FO , beyond that it may be harder

ReputationRep:
    Hello, everyone. I wanted to know some more information on this degree? Any career prospects - is it the right degree to work in Google or IBM for instance? to get both business and tech side I think it is but what are your thoughts? Also, how do minors work? If I, for instance, wanted to also do some more engineering, can I take modules in that or are there extracurricular classes there?

So yeah, just wanted to know some more thoughts on the degree and its true value and on UCL (how good is it seen to be a grad from here)? I am in both IT, business and technology. So do you think this degree is for me?
    One more important thing, what asMters can I do with this degree? Can I do computer science or electrical engineering, or an MBA?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPrince319413)

Hi, is IMB better than Management Science ? Also, in three years time would I be in the same position as someone who graduated from Economics at UCL ? Would someone from UCL economics be more targeted ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Danllo)
    Hi, is IMB better than Management Science ? Also, in three years time would I be in the same position as someone who graduated from Economics at UCL ? Would someone from UCL economics be more targeted ?
    Man Sci >>>>>>>>> IMB. IMB is actually a bit of a joke tbh. I feel people only apply for it because it's a nice and easy way to get the UCL brand on their CVs..

In those three years, if you worked hard and found the right opportunities you'd probably be in a vastly stronger position than most Econ grads. Especially the ones who were convinced that the UCL Econ name alone would mean anything by itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    has anyone received an offer yet? what are your grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Man Sci >>>>>>>>> IMB. IMB is actually a bit of a joke tbh. I feel people only apply for it because it's a nice and easy way to get the UCL brand on their CVs..

In those three years, if you worked hard and found the right opportunities you'd probably be in a vastly stronger position than most Econ grads. Especially the ones who were convinced that the UCL Econ name alone would mean anything by itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you elaborate on this? It seems that you are trying to diminish the worth of an Economics degree from one of the top universities in the world
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by member1753327)
    Can you elaborate on this? It seems that you are trying to diminish the worth of an Economics degree from one of the top universities in the world
    If your CV says 'UCL Economics BSc' and NOTHING else, it will be thrown in the bin. That's the hard truth.

You need ECs, volunteering and work experience to stand a decent chance.

ReputationRep:
    I've received an offer for IMB at UCL for AAB. If I got ABB, do you think that they would still give me an offer ? I did email the IMB department and they said it depends on the number of people that have met the requirements. However, if u don't get A*AA for Econ or law they give you a straight rejection as this is what I was told by the Law and Econ departments. Does this basically suggest that IMB is not all that and not worth spending three years on it ? Would you rather choose QMUL Economics or UCL IMB ? Also I've applied for Management Science which is a lot better than IMB from what I've heard. Do you think that it will be possible to switch courses from IMB to Management Science if I get into UCL ? Please let me know what you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPrince319413)
    I'm a first year student at this course, I know quite a few of people who studied this and secured spring internships (mainly in BO and IT, although quite decent number of people do get front office internship), one person got a SW at JP Morgan in the investment banking division though.

1. Is IMB the right degree to work in Google or IBM in their business department for instance? Also, what masters can I do with this degree? Could I do computer science or electrical engineering (if I do an appropriate minor), or an MBA? And finally what are the true positives of the IMB UCL degree?

ReputationRep:
    1. Is IMB the right degree to work in Google or IBM in their business department for instance? Also, what masters can I do with this degree? Could I do computer science or electrical engineering (if I do an appropriate minor), or an MBA? And finally what are the true positives of the IMB UCL degree?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received an offer yet? What are your predicted grades? Thx!

ReputationRep:
    I sent off my application in December, still no reply, anyone received a offer yet?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.