The Student Room Group

Zoology 2016 Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sophjeff
any one heard from liverpool uni? :h:

I got my standard ABB offer from Liverpool a while back 😊
Original post by egilford
Congratulations!! Which two are you still waiting on?

Thank you! I'm waiting on Leicester and Bangor, hopefully I'll hear back soon :crossedf:
Original post by Sophjeff
any one heard from liverpool uni? :h:

yeah I got a conditional offer:-)
Original post by egilford
I took Chemistry at AS-Level and failed it, but dropped it at for A2 and I've got all 5 of my offers so it didn't seem to matter. You should be fine as long as the unis don't specifically ask for chemistry? If they ask for another related science subject some will take your Geography or Maths 😊

Thanks for the reply! That's a relief:tongue:
I love Dan and Phil too, by the way!
Liverpool or Queen's Belfast for zoology? What would you do?
Reply 265
Had my interview at Leeds yesterday - will hear back by Monday apparently... Not really sure how well it went but hopefully will get an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dahlx
Had my interview at Leeds yesterday - will hear back by Monday apparently... Not really sure how well it went but hopefully will get an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck 😊 what was it like?
Reply 267
Original post by TomC_97
Good luck 😊 what was it like?

Thank you! Not what I expected tbh, I'll send you a PM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 268
Offer from Leeds came through! AAB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 269
I have recieved offers for Zoology and Ecology at Newcastle, my first choice! I wasn't expecting offers for both courses, I don't know which to choose D:

Well done on your offers everyone!
I would like some peoples opinions on the university offers I have had as I am finding it really hard to choose between them. I have been offered Bristol- Bsci, Cardiff Bsci with placement year, Exeter- Bsci with placement year, Sheffield-Bsci.

I have heard that Bristol don't really do much in the way of Ethology, but not sure.

Just want to find out some facts that aren't present on the websites?
Any help would be fab!
Reply 271
Original post by Robyn.Eva
I would like some peoples opinions on the university offers I have had as I am finding it really hard to choose between them. I have been offered Bristol- Bsci, Cardiff Bsci with placement year, Exeter- Bsci with placement year, Sheffield-Bsci.

I have heard that Bristol don't really do much in the way of Ethology, but not sure.

Any help would be fab!

I have applied to Sheffield as my firm choice and Bristol is my second. Both looked amazing but for me Sheffields course and accommodation looked better although Bristols science building was nicer.
What are you looking for in a uni?
Well this sounds bad, but I didn't get to go to any open days so I know so little about Sheffield, bar its a good university and they do a placement year. I didn't even properly commit to the Idea of going to uni until July this year and I was in Australia travelling at the time. By the time I got home I had missed all of the open days. I want a university that will be environmentally friendly and has a good reputation of leading research. I am really interested in the use of Genetics in conservation and conservation techniques. I want them to have good resources and equipments, fun societies and decent not too expensive accom. I am very outdoorsy and hippy so somewhere green would be nice too! I know Bristol and Sheffield are both very nice in that way :smile:
Well this sounds bad, but I didn't get to go to any open days so I know so little about Sheffield, bar its a good university and they do a placement year. I didn't even properly commit to the Idea of going to uni until July this year and I was in Australia travelling at the time. By the time I got home I had missed all of the open days. I want a university that will be environmentally friendly and has a good reputation of leading research. I am really interested in the use of Genetics in conservation and conservation techniques. I want them to have good resources and equipments, fun societies and decent not too expensive accom. I am very outdoorsy and hippy so somewhere green would be nice too! I know Bristol and Sheffield are both very nice in that way :smile:

Based on everything you said, I'd go for Sheffield over Bristol. Accommodation is much better and cheaper, it's the greenest city in the UK apparently and the research is always being credited. That's the basis of why I've put Sheffield ahead of Bristol in my choice rankings anyway.
The only thing I am thinking about is the fact that the connections Bristol have with the bbc nature history unit are really good! Do you know if Sheffield have any really notable connections?
Reply 275

I was in Sheffield a few days ago so I have some info from the uni. Apparently 62% of Sheffield is green space and its right next to the peak district so I'm guessing you'd like that as an outdoorsy person. I'm not sure about what connections Sheffield has but I think they have connections to some zoos. Bristol might be better though if you want to do something with the BBC (but I'm not sure if Sheffield has similar connections). Also I think that Sheffield is 5th(?) in the UK for biosciences in terms of research, I don't know about Bristol.

I hope that helps :smile:

Any help would be fab!

Can't talk for the others but Bristol animal behaviour guy retired while I was there and hasn't been replaced as far as I'm aware so most of the animal behaviour stuff is on inverts. Bristol very much focuses animal behaviour course content into the animal behaviour degree, which is kept pretty separate from Zoology after the first year.

If I were you I'd have a look at the specific units they offer - it'll tell you on the course websites.
The only thing I am thinking about is the fact that the connections Bristol have with the bbc nature history unit are really good! Do you know if Sheffield have any really notable connections?

There aren't very strong connections between the bio dept and BBC - sorry to burst your bubble. But there will be speakers from.there on occasion and the opportunity to make your own connections. The dive club - Ubuc has very good connections.
So you went to Bristol and studied zoology what was it like over role and what do you think all the good points about the course and where do you think it falls short? Is that a scuba-diving club? Also is there anyway of doing a placement year? And can you opt to do an extra year at the end of the course or do you have to completely re-apply?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TomC_97
Mine was meant to be on 18th, but because I'm going up to Leeds on 21st for rugby, they agreed for me to have it on 22nd instead. I reckon it will be mostly about your personal statement, elaborating on what you said. Could you give me a heads-up after yours please?

yes, i'm going tomorrow, i'll let you know what they ask

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending