Turn on thread page Beta

Medical school interview preparation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I need your help. Essentially I am applying for medicine this year. I have q good grades and a decent ukcat score but really dreading interviews. I am a gap year student and got 1 interview last year but it didn't go so well. I really need help on how to prepare for my interview. Does anyone have any good tips or resources they would recommend?

Thanks guys!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie Postance)
    Hi guys! I need your help. Essentially I am applying for medicine this year. I have q good grades and a decent ukcat score but really dreading interviews. I am a gap year student and got 1 interview last year but it didn't go so well. I really need help on how to prepare for my interview. Does anyone have any good tips or resources they would recommend?

Thanks guys!!
    Mock interviews with people you don't know are the best.
    Honestly, I had a mock interview this week with Queen Mary london university for medicine and it just hit me, how much I have to prepare.
    I know they say not to memorise answers but I guess you have to prepare for the questions that are likely to be asked and you've got to get ready for them. But make it sound natural and add a few um...s in so it sounds like you haven't memorised it.
    DO NOT SAY LIKE!
    Queen Mary hates that!
    And interviewers also like if you explain what your thinking.
    For instance, if you were given an ethical question, just repeat the scenario again to them to clarify To them that you do understand the situation. But never come down on one side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Remember to fist bump the interviewer when you get in. Then talk extensively about how big pharma is evil and everyone should use homeopathic remedies.
    You're welcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Mock interviews with people you don't know are the best.
    Honestly, I had a mock interview this week with Queen Mary london university for medicine and it just hit me, how much I have to prepare.
    I know they say not to memorise answers but I guess you have to prepare for the questions that are likely to be asked and you've got to get ready for them. But make it sound natural and add a few um...s in so it sounds like you haven't memorised it.
    DO NOT SAY LIKE!
    Queen Mary hates that!
    And interviewers also like if you explain what your thinking.
    For instance, if you were given an ethical question, just repeat the scenario again to them to clarify To them that you do understand the situation. But never come down on one side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They also hate it when you call the medical school Queen Mary.

Also, with the ethical questions, I think you might be a bit confused about the strategy. You can absolutely give an opinion and take a side, you just need to show that you've considered alternative views too. In other words, if they ask you about, say, opt-out organ transplantation you should say something along the lines of "well, I can understand why it would be a good idea because of blah blah blah, but on the other hand, I can appreciate why some people might be concerned by xyz. On balance, personally I would agree with such a system because of..."

Don't just repeat the question back to them! It'll make you look dim and as if you're time wasting.

Thanks guys!!
    As above, mock interviews are definitely the way to go. Make yourself little flashcards with a question on one side and an answer on the other and practice in front of a mirror a few times. Don't make it sound over rehearsed, but do it enough that you feel comfortable with what you're going to say. I also thought these books were good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Inte.../dp/1905812051

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-Your.../dp/0749471891
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Thanks guys!!
    Hi Charlie,
    First thing’s first, remember to stay cool, calm and collected before any interviews – you don't want nerves to jumble up what you want to say.

To keep nerves at bay, try writing yourself a prep sheet to help you prepare for questions about:
    -your motivation for studying medicine
    -what interests you most about the subject
    -what the medical school curriculum is
    -current affairs, and the latest NHS ‘hot topics’, and your opinion on these
    -any work experience you’ve had.

MMI style interviews are also being used by more and more Medical Schools. We know lots about MMIs, too much to write on this thread. So if you want to find out more about them, then click here!

We hope this helps,
    TMP

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys thanks for your replies they have been quite helpful! Democracy I will definitely look into buying those books they look really good. @themedicportal my best friend went to your course last year and he said the doctor that ran it was not helpful as he did not really care for he students. Also he said it was majorly overpriced at £179 so unfortunately I won't be going to your course

QUOTE=The Medic Portal;60120547]Hi Charlie,
    First thing’s first, remember to stay cool, calm and collected before any interviews – you don't want nerves to jumble up what you want to say.

To keep nerves at bay, try writing yourself a prep sheet to help you prepare for questions about:
    -your motivation for studying medicine
    -what interests you most about the subject
    -what the medical school curriculum is
    -current affairs, and the latest NHS ‘hot topics’, and your opinion on these
    -any work experience you’ve had.

MMI style interviews are also being used by more and more Medical Schools. We know lots about MMIs, too much to write on this thread. So if you want to find out more about them, then click here!

We hope this helps,
    TMP[/QUOTE]
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    "Hey guys thanks for your replies they have been quite helpful! Democracy I will definitely look into buying those books they look really good. @themedicportal my best friend went to your course last year and he said the doctor that ran it was not helpful as he did not really care for he students. Also he said it was majorly overpriced at £179 so unfortunately I won't be going to your course"

Oh no!

We're sorry to hear that Charlie. The Medic Portal has been completely re-vamped. Over the past year we've got an almost 100% 'recommend' rate on our official feedback forms from thousands of students.

We'd love you to give us another chance, so we're about to send you a private message to help you with your Medical School dilemma around interviews and the other hurdles you'll be facing.

From,
    TMP

ReputationRep:

Thanks guys!!
    Hi Charlie! I am applying to dentistry this year but I was going to apply to medicine initially. I found Sarah Yasmines videos really useful with preparing for application process etc. She just released one this week about medical school interviews - it looks really good so check it out. Might be helpful for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-IdRaVKfZ4

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.