Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Glasgow School of Art for 2016 (Product Design), Ive never applied to university before and have a few questions.

Its been a long time since Ive been in education , Who do I use as reference ?

I'm currently doing an Access course to strengthen my application , It wont be finished till May ( can you complete Open University Earlier than scheduled ??)
    Where do I add this into the application ?

Also any other tips on applying would be great , Tackling my personal statement at the moment which Ive been dreading.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your advice

Scott
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Scott_2703)
    I'm applying to Glasgow School of Art for 2016 (Product Design), Ive never applied to university before and have a few questions.

Its been a long time since Ive been in education , Who do I use as reference ?

I'm currently doing an Access course to strengthen my application , It wont be finished till May ( can you complete Open University Earlier than scheduled ??)
    Where do I add this into the application ?

Also any other tips on applying would be great , Tackling my personal statement at the moment which Ive been dreading.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your advice

Scott
    Are you doing an Access to HE course or an Open University 'access' module?

The OU doesn't do an Access course. OU 'access' modules are nothing like Access to HE courses, you cannot use them to apply to uni. You can apply to uni with OU modules, but you need between 60 and 120 credits at level 1 (access modules are level 0), depending on where you apply.

You can use your OU tutor for your UCAS reference, or you can use an employer, it is up to you.

You can hand in your TMAs and EMA early if you like, but they won't be marked early and you won't get your results any earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Are you doing an Access to HE course or an Open University 'access' module?

The OU doesn't do an Access course. OU 'access' modules are nothing like Access to HE courses, you cannot use them to apply to uni. You can apply to uni with OU modules, but you need between 60 and 120 credits at level 1 (access modules are level 0), depending on where you apply.

You can use your OU tutor for your UCAS reference, or you can use an employer, it is up to you.

You can hand in your TMAs and EMA early if you like, but they won't be marked early and you won't get your results any earlier.
    Ive spoken to the uni I'm applying for and the have told me as a mature student I would be considered on my design portfolio and anything else I can do in the meantime will only strengthen my application , they did say it wasn't necessary. I felt better to get my brain back into the habit of learning and brushing up on answer structure and maths will only help.

Thanks, probably not much point rushing ahead then with my module. Time better spent on my portfolio

I'm doing Science, Technology & Maths Access Module , alongside this I'm working on my design portfolio and drawing skills.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Scott_2703)
    Ive spoken to the uni I'm applying for and the have told me as a mature student I would be considered on my design portfolio and anything else I can do in the meantime will only strengthen my application , they did say it wasn't necessary. I felt better to get my brain back into the habit of learning and brushing up on answer structure and maths will only help.

Thanks, probably not much point rushing ahead then with my module. Time better spent on my portfolio

I'm doing Science, Technology & Maths Access Module , alongside this I'm working on my design portfolio and drawing skills.
    If Glasgow is willing to consider you based on just a portfolio then great, but in case another university asks for A levels or an equivalent qualification, be aware that an OU access module is not enough. OU access modules are a real con, they cost a lot of money and they're literally worthless. I did the humanities one and honestly, my English GCSE was harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    If Glasgow is willing to consider you based on just a portfolio then great, but in case another university asks for A levels or an equivalent qualification, be aware that an OU access module is not enough. OU access modules are a real con, they cost a lot of money and they're literally worthless. I did the humanities one and honestly, my English GCSE was harder.
    To be honest it is pretty easy but I'm getting back into the habit of structuring my answers correctly and showing my working , Open University is free for me in Scotland so not wasting anything other than time :-)

Plus I will get to use my tutor as my reference which is a bonus in itself

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.