Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Talk Talk Security breach advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have just heard that talk talk has been hacked and they have taken all personal details. What do I need to do if I am talk talk customer to protect myself from all this? I am worried that my personal details and bank details will be used fraudulently and not sure what action needs to be taken? Anyone able to help me ? Is there anyone in the same situation?

ReputationRep:
    Change the passwords on your bank and also on Talk Talk. I use https://www.passpack.com/ to store my passwords which allows me to use 12 random characters for each account I have. If you use the same password for everything you are very much at risk.

Be vigilant of anyone trying to contact you. If in doubt call back using the official numbers published rather than a number you are given and never give personal information like passwords out over the phone.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonthegreat)
    Hi,

I have just heard that talk talk has been hacked and they have taken all personal details. What do I need to do if I am talk talk customer to protect myself from all this? I am worried that my personal details and bank details will be used fraudulently and not sure what action needs to be taken? Anyone able to help me ? Is there anyone in the same situation?
    The best thing to do would be to talk to your bank. They will offer you advice and will at least be aware of it incase there is any suspicious activity on your account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Change the passwords on your bank and also on Talk Talk. I use https://www.passpack.com/ to store my passwords which allows me to use 12 random characters for each account I have. If you use the same password for everything you are very much at risk.

Be vigilant of anyone trying to contact you. If in doubt call back using the official numbers published rather than a number you are given and never give personal information like passwords out over the phone.

Good luck!
    Thanks that is great advice. So passpack generates the password characters and then how does it store it against the correct account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliemogs)
    The best thing to do would be to talk to your bank. They will offer you advice and will at least be aware of it incase there is any suspicious activity on your account.

It is strange I informed my bank and they kept telling me it was nothing to worry about as with the bank details people can only pay in money and not take anything out. How can that be correct? All this stuff in the media is freaking me out. So far my account seems ok with no dodgy transactions. Why are the bank so laid back about it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonthegreat)
    Thanks that is great advice. So passpack generates the password characters and then how does it store it against the correct account?
    Get yourself an account and see. It is free. Passpack store up to 100 passwords for free. However it also has a function to generate passwords. It is pretty neat in how it stores the passwords. They are encrypted on there server so no one can ever access your data. However, the passwords are decrypted in the browser so they are pretty safe from man-in-the-middle attacks too. I thoroughly recommend. It is a pain to have to keep looking up your passwords, but a small price to pay for seriously enhanced security. I also ensure that two stage authentication is enabled on my Google account. The damage someone could do if they got my email address is untold.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.