Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So i started uni about a month and a half back. Its going great except for one aspect. As much as i am enjoying my course, it seems to involve a lot of public speaking since we have quite a small group. Theres about 30 of us in total. We have done icebreakers, reading aloud going around the class, presenting individual ideas and all sorts. These little speeches are bad enough for me! As the lecturer is going round the class my heart races, i shake, i blush and clench my lips/fists. I feel really rushed and as if i dont make any sense when i actually get my words out. I feel as if everyone is staring and judging me since i look so awkward.

I have a small presentation next week and a bigger one a few weeks later. I feel terrible just thinking about them! I need some advice if anyone has overcome this type of fear? Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So i started uni about a month and a half back. Its going great except for one aspect. As much as i am enjoying my course, it seems to involve a lot of public speaking since we have quite a small group. Theres about 30 of us in total. We have done icebreakers, reading aloud going around the class, presenting individual ideas and all sorts. These little speeches are bad enough for me! As the lecturer is going round the class my heart races, i shake, i blush and clench my lips/fists. I feel really rushed and as if i dont make any sense when i actually get my words out. I feel as if everyone is staring and judging me since i look so awkward.

I have a small presentation next week and a bigger one a few weeks later. I feel terrible just thinking about them! I need some advice if anyone has overcome this type of fear? Thanks
    Presentations are scary! The best thing I can say is make sure you know them inside out beforehand so, if you panic, you're more likely to remember more. Take in prompts and, if you can, practice in front of other people before the day. Do it in front of a mirror, to a sibling on skype, ask someone else doing the same one if you can do it in front of them if you listen to theirs in return. In more general terms, if anxiety is affecting you a lot it could be worth a visit to your GP and/or uni support services who should be able to help. Good luck, hope they go well!

(Original post by furryface12)
    Presentations are scary! The best thing I can say is make sure you know them inside out beforehand so, if you panic, you're more likely to remember more. Take in prompts and, if you can, practice in front of other people before the day. Do it in front of a mirror, to a sibling on skype, ask someone else doing the same one if you can do it in front of them if you listen to theirs in return. In more general terms, if anxiety is affecting you a lot it could be worth a visit to your GP and/or uni support services who should be able to help. Good luck, hope they go well!
    Thanks for the advice! I have always been labelled a shy person growing up and it really affected my confidence. My confidence hit an all time low during college (2 years ago) but since then i have put myself out their to change that. Taking a huge step into uni life and living in halls has also helped me a tonne! I dont really feel anxious anymore around new people. I enjoy myself and dont have a care in the world! Its just this one aspect (public speaking) that seems to get me really anxious and i cant seem to calm myself down once i know im about to do it. Im absolutely dreading tomorrow!

(Original post by furryface12)
    Do you think it would be a good idea to seek help from the university? I feel like i could maybe benefit if i went but i get this bad feeling of feeling ashamed if i have to go seek help about this. I guess im just scared about friends/family/flatmates finding out that ive been attending these sessions. What do you think?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the advice! I have always been labelled a shy person growing up and it really affected my confidence. My confidence hit an all time low during college (2 years ago) but since then i have put myself out their to change that. Taking a huge step into uni life and living in halls has also helped me a tonne! I dont really feel anxious anymore around new people. I enjoy myself and dont have a care in the world! Its just this one aspect (public speaking) that seems to get me really anxious and i cant seem to calm myself down once i know im about to do it. Im absolutely dreading tomorrow!
    You sound like me with the first part! Really glad uni has worked out so well for you, hope it continues- well done for working on your anxiety so much too, I know how hard that can be. Public speaking is horrible, you can do it though there's probably more tips online than I can think of to give you here but I guess try and make sure you're as calm as possible leading up to it. Distract yourself the rest of the day (walking, playing games, whatever) and try get as much sleep as possible and stuff. Also make sure you take some water in with you, it might also help to ask if you can go first to get it out the way? That depends on the person though.

For the other thing, I think it would definitely be good to. There's lots they can do to help and even just having someone to talk to can make a big difference. It's nothing to be ashamed about but everything you say will be confidential and they'll be used to people not wanting others to find out, so hopefully no-one ever will unless they're there too or you decide to tell them.

That feels like a bit of a ramble sorry! Hope it's at least vaguely helpful though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.