Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What should I do, apprenticeship or college course? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. So I've been thinking about this for a while and need some advice from someone who has a fresh mind looking in on the situation.

In September, I started a college course a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science - over the course of the 6 week holiday I had spoken myself into doing a pharmacy degree, because of the good salary. Yes, stupid I know as you should never go after a career for the pay, but rather because you love it. I realised 3 weeks into the course, that this was not for me. During secondary and even primary school my strengths were always English, History and Performing Arts - I also loved doing them.
    I'm not sure how I managed to come to the conclusion pharmacy was the right career path for me considering I have always struggled and never particularly enjoyed Science and Maths, definitely a foolish move on my behalf.

Now, 6 weeks into the academic year, I have not been in one month as if you do not attend the college will just write you off the register anyway. I'm in a bit of a situation. I have been applying for apprenticeships in business admin - particularly roles where I can use my skills in English, French and Dutch. But you know when something just doesn't sit well? I have researched into apprenticeships, I'd like to think, a lot - but I'm still not convinced or entirely educated on where I could potentially end up after doing an NVQ.

Now, on the other hand - I have been considering Media Studies in TV & Film at college. The idea of a degree in Journalism, English Lit / Lang or Broadcasting journalism really, really feels right. But the cons:
    I can't exactly turn up to college after taking this much time off and ask my Science tutor if I could transfer to another course - although he said at the beginning that if the course wasn't for us we should talk to him about it.
    I'm not much of an academic achiever. Learning in a classroom doesn't bide well with me, hence why I considered an apprenticeship, I pick things up and learn better when working alone and independently. I found in school that I learnt more when revising at home than in a classroom setting.

To conclude, I guess overall the thought of going back into college to speak to this tutor I've not saw in a month and left without any explanation - is taking me aback. I hated Science that much, I just needed to leave. So how would I go about asking to move to Media?

Should I consider the apprenticeship route?

Please help. Thank you

p.s I realise I've been foolish and have not thought wisely about my decisions, but I have definitely learnt from this that you should not go after something you don't enjoy solely based on the salary etc.

ReputationRep:
    Do the media, leave the btec alone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.