Turn on thread page Beta

Building fitness with a chronic illness watch

ReputationRep:
    What are the best ways to build up strength/stamina/fitness after almost two years of no exercise? Are there any exercises, movements or stretches that you could suggest for me? I have frequent joint pain (esp. knees, hips and ankles btw) so anything that won't aggravate that is preferrable!

My basic abilities right now are: can maybe jog 100 - 200m with a little difficulty/pain; can't jump and my squatting capability is like nonexistent 😂 So I need to work around what I'm capable of doing right now, which frankly isn't much!

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Impossible to suggest anything without knowing the nature of your illness tbh.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got a chronic illness what is probably best is to consult your doctor and they can give you guidance on what is suitable for your condition.

ReputationRep:
    blinking

ReputationRep:
    Your doctor should be able to either directly help you or to refer you to somebody, who can make an exercise plan with you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, if it's something like arthritis. Swimming can be one of the best exercises for someone like you to build on the things you want. You won't get quite the same results, nor as quick as someone who can go to the gym and lift weights. But you'll get results and it'll have the least impact on your joints.

That's the kind of exercise my mum was referred to by her doctor and she has 2 chronic pain conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Hey, if it's something like arthritis. Swimming can be one of the best exercises for someone like you to build on the things you want. You won't get quite the same results, nor as quick as someone who can go to the gym and lift weights. But you'll get results and it'll have the least impact on your joints.

That's the kind of exercise my mum was referred to by her doctor and she has 2 chronic pain conditions.
    Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I'm new to TSR and I'm not sure how to quote in more than one person to reply to you all separately, or I would.
    I swam a little over the summer and it really helped; sadly since then I've taken a few steps backwards so it might be good to start swimming again if I'm able. Do you know if there are certain exercises or activities that I should be doing in the pool?
    Sorry to hear about your mum, joint pain and all the other issues that can come with chronic illnesses really suck, but I hope she's doing alright.

Also, in reply to the other comments: I see a physiotherapist regularly too, but we mainly work on things like getting up from the floor, weight-bearing on my hands and knees, stretches and stairs etc. I'll ask if she has any recommendations though but I've asked before and I just get told to stretch and repeat my floor exercises, but I'm now at the stage where I feel like I want to try more!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DysfunctionalMe)
    Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I'm new to TSR and I'm not sure how to quote in more than one person to reply to you all separately, or I would.
    I swam a little over the summer and it really helped; sadly since then I've taken a few steps backwards so it might be good to start swimming again if I'm able. Do you know if there are certain exercises or activities that I should be doing in the pool?
    Sorry to hear about your mum, joint pain and all the other issues that can come with chronic illnesses really suck, but I hope she's doing alright.

Also, in reply to the other comments: I see a physiotherapist regularly too, but we mainly work on things like getting up from the floor, weight-bearing on my hands and knees, stretches and stairs etc. I'll ask if she has any recommendations though but I've asked before and I just get told to stretch and repeat my floor exercises, but I'm now at the stage where I feel like I want to try more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not really sure to be honest, I think just swimming itself is good. I know it can really help build upper body muscles from all the resistance to the water. It's a real work out! I swam for a while, and oh boy did it tire me out.

And thanks, I appreciate it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What were you diagnosed with? If you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    What were you diagnosed with? If you don't mind me asking
    It's an extremely rare autoimmune condition so I would prefer not mentioning it on a forum as it could out my identity - even on a tiny thread like this I feel uncomfortable doing so as I can be a little paranoid about these things 😁, I'll send you a message though to let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Stick to walking lightly a couple of times a week if you can manage it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's an extremely rare autoimmune condition so I would prefer not mentioning it on a forum as it could out my identity - even on a tiny thread like this I feel uncomfortable doing so as I can be a little paranoid about these things 😁, I'll send you a message though to let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah do that then mate, I might know nothing about the condition but I'm no stranger to working against the odds to be in shape despite being diagnosed with a chronic illness myself

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.