Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm applying for English Literature and Creative Writing at top universities, and in my personal statement I spelt one word wrong:
    I put compliments
    instead of complements.
    Be honest, would this lead to rejection?

ReputationRep:
    you did spell compliments right though... ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leah910)
    you did spell compliments right though... ??
    yes! It was meant to be complement, I put compliment with an i instead of e :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandorax)
    Hi, I'm applying for English Literature and Creative Writing at top universities, and in my personal statement I spelt one word wrong:
    I put compliments
    instead of complements.
    Be honest, would this lead to rejection?
    See my final bullet point here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post37765516

ReputationRep:
    yes! It was meant to be complement, I put compliment with an i instead of e :-(
    i doubt you'll get rejected over one word tbh....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leah910)
    i doubt you'll get rejected over one word tbh....
    Okay DDx Im really scared, if you have high predicted grades will they overlook the spelling mistake? Stupid i

ReputationRep:
    Okay DDx Im really scared, if you have high predicted grades will they overlook the spelling mistake? Stupid i
    Read what I posted. It tells you exactly what English admissions tutors think from the horse's mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Read what I posted. It tells you exactly what English admissions tutors think from the horse's mouth.
    Thankyou! Hopefully it will be okay, I just don't want them to develop a negative idea of me because of that error Dx

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! Hopefully it will be okay, I just don't want them to develop a negative idea of me because of that error Dx
    You are not going to be the only one. Very few personal statements are perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    You are not going to be the only one. Very few personal statements are perfect.
    Even if they are applying to an English Literature degree? D:

ReputationRep:
    Even if they are applying to an English Literature degree? D:
    Well, not in my experience, unfortunately. I've spent years of my life correcting them and not every student is particularly meticulous about carrying out the corrections. Not very much English literature coursework is faultless, either.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry! the last sentence of mine said "I am particularly interested working with" which doesn't make as much sense, instead of "I am particularly interested in working with" and I currently have 4 offers for leeds, manchester, liverpool, and newcastle! They won't mind

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I managed to misspell something too but I just received an offer. I don't think it matters :P. I mean, one letter can't matter.. they might not even notice ;p gl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Hi. I managed to misspell something too but I just received an offer. I don't think it matters :P. I mean, one letter can't matter.. they might not even notice ;p gl.
    xDD woo, phew! Are you doing English Lit too and which uni? And yes, hoping that they get a bit tired of reading personal statements and kinda skim read it..XDD

ReputationRep:
    xDD woo, phew! Are you doing English Lit too and which uni? And yes, hoping that they get a bit tired of reading personal statements and kinda skim read it..XDD
    Yep, I'm doing literature.

Applying to Oxford durham southampton cardiff and sussex. The offer is from cardiff. You'll be fine, what were your as grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Yep, I'm doing literature.

Applying to Oxford durham southampton cardiff and sussex. The offer is from cardiff. You'll be fine, what were your as grades?
    Okay thankyou! I'm applying to southampton for one of mine as well! XD And AS: AAAB, Predicted: A* A* A*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.