Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The beginner’s guide to revision watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    With mocks coming up :eek: we thought we'd share some helpful hints and tips for those of you who might not have really done much revision before.

It's normal to feel a bit overwhelmed when you've never had to revise for so many subjects before. But don't worry we've got you covered :H

Read more here

ReputationRep:
    I'm an A2 student who has preformed pretty well across education, so I can offer some advice. The first is colours, I can't stress how important and beneficial it is to me for my work to be in different colours. If you write essays and it's just black ink I struggle to really take it in, so the title will be black and the ink blue. The contrast helps a lot. If you are doing something such as history use different colours for key points and this can be extended to any subject.

I would also suggest mind maps for complex ideas. Break them down into a simple way, such as Liberalism. If I read about liberalism in my usual structure I won't enjoy reading it. A mind map will break down the key details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd also add that spending more time on tricky areas / sections helps a lot as well. From my experience, taking a lot of notes and writing things down helps me a lot to memorise key facts, formulas etc.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    For me i just rewrite the whole course in short notes, cos in my head i know what i mean without using proper english in the revision notes.
    then i reread it and start highlighting! for history, what i notice is the course is like a story, it's in logical order

e.g: after rosa parks got arrested, the MIA got together to boycott the buses as a gesture of support, years later the supreme court ruled the end of transport segregation, but it wasnt enough. Freedom riders formed to test the law that was put into place.
    if you lay it out as a story you're more like to remember it

ReputationRep:
    In all the revision I've ever done for previous exams (Gcses and what not), I found rewriting notes, colouring stuff in, making mind maps etc a bit of a waste of time.
    If it works for you, do go ahead and do it, but I made sure I stuck to past papers and worksheets. For subjects like maths and science, all it is, is practice - if I had gaps of knowledge that I needed to fill YouTube videos (for education) would be the thing I would go to first.

ReputationRep:
    using flashcards definitely helps

ReputationRep:
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I did pretty well in my GCSEs and I've written a guide to the best revision methods here: http://oxbridgeblog.com/?p=256 Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm in Y9!

I haven't found a good way to revise and I don't know how past papers help if you are in KS3.

I am worried about not finding a good revision technique in time for GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I just started using these technique recommended to me by someone with 4As in a- level really wish I used it before aha
    Basically The core textbook of your subject (excluding maths of course, works well for biology)
    Read the page a few times, close the book and write down everything you remember then go back and see what you missed and remember for next time
    Make sure you do this three times before your exams
    And lots of past papers!! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaisonj02)
    Hi! I'm in Y9!

I haven't found a good way to revise and I don't know how past papers help if you are in KS3.

Well first question would be is how good do you think you memory is? As in how easy do you find it too look at a page and regurgitate most of the information. Additionally, do you think you would prefer handwritten or typed notes (depending on the subject because with maths, for example, typing isn't that practical). Do you think flashcards would help you or would they be a waste of time (for you specifically I mean)?

I would suggest using colours and going over as many past papers as possible too regardless of your answers to the previous questions. Hopefully that can give you a starting point but you are in year 9 so you have nothing to worry about that early, just enjoy messing about all the time, while you still can, without jeopardising your grades as you likely won't be able to do that in A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm in Y9!

Don't want to patronize you, but you're in year 9, relax! It's really not that important, so ofc past papers don't exist for KS3!
    Seriously though, this is the last stress free year you'll have so enjoy! I promise you will find your feet in year 10/11 and very quickly.
    My GCSE's feel so irrelevant now loool, and I'm sure my A Levels will too when I go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    Heads up guys, be sure to take a break from studying. If you've been doing it nonstop, allow tomorrow to be the day where you take a limited break.

ReputationRep:
    I took one GCSE last year and found that making notes, reading and repeating out loud then covering up then saying what i remember out loud until i remember it all really helped. That of course tied in with past papers and creating model answers for questions got 96/100 UMS - not bad I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle1198)
    Don't want to patronize you, but you're in year 9, relax! It's really not that important, so ofc past papers don't exist for KS3!
    Seriously though, this is the last stress free year you'll have so enjoy! I promise you will find your feet in year 10/11 and very quickly.
    My GCSE's feel so irrelevant now loool, and I'm sure my A Levels will too when I go to uni!
    Thank you! I sure will!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrionMusicNet)
    Well first question would be is how good do you think you memory is? As in how easy do you find it too look at a page and regurgitate most of the information. Additionally, do you think you would prefer handwritten or typed notes (depending on the subject because with maths, for example, typing isn't that practical). Do you think flashcards would help you or would they be a waste of time (for you specifically I mean)?

I would suggest using colours and going over as many past papers as possible too regardless of your answers to the previous questions. Hopefully that can give you a starting point but you are in year 9 so you have nothing to worry about that early, just enjoy messing about all the time, while you still can, without jeopardising your grades as you likely won't be able to do that in A-levels.
    I've tried literally every revision technique I can think of and that have worked for other people, but apart from Music, I can't find an effective revision technique.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried literally every revision technique I can think of and that have worked for other people, but apart from Music, I can't find an effective revision technique.
    Are you struggling to memorise large amounts of information or something?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.