Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Maths and Computer Science, and today I got an e-mail saying that I am invited to a visit day for Computer Science only. Does that I mean I have high or low chances of getting an offer? Also, is it mandatory to attend, especially since I don't live in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    It is probably a good sign to help you get a feel of the university and the course.. however I doubt it is compulsory.. just email them and ask? XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    It is probably a good sign to help you get a feel of the university and the course.. however I doubt it is compulsory.. just email them and ask? XD
    But do you know if this means that I am more or less likely to be accepted?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position (for Bristol), and I think the reason the email only mentions CS is because the visit day is run by the CS department (see this). I think that a visit day means you are more likely to be given an offer - they send invitations for them to all applicants they might give an offer to. It isn't mandatory, and I wouldn't think that not attending would affect your chances of an offer much.

ReputationRep:
    No, it means you're likely. It's also compulsory to attend unless you have exceptional reason not to. Read their admissions policy

"Although there are other opportunities to visit the department, such as University Open Days, if a candidate is invited to attend an Admissions Day then they are expected to attend even if they have attended one of these other University events. This is because the Admissions Day is specifically tailored to prospective students, as well as giving the admissions team an opportunity to clarify issues that may not be clear from the application forms and to help decide on the details ofany offer that may be made. Allowance is made however for a candidate that cannot make an Admissions Day due to any exceptional circumstance, if this is the case then the applicant should inform the Admissions Team as soon as possible"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    No, it means you're likely. It's also compulsory to attend unless you have exceptional reason not to. Read their admissions policy

"Although there are other opportunities to visit the department, such as University Open Days, if a candidate is invited to attend an Admissions Day then they are expected to attend even if they have attended one of these other University events. This is because the Admissions Day is specifically tailored to prospective students, as well as giving the admissions team an opportunity to clarify issues that may not be clear from the application forms and to help decide on the details ofany offer that may be made. Allowance is made however for a candidate that cannot make an Admissions Day due to any exceptional circumstance, if this is the case then the applicant should inform the Admissions Team as soon as possible"
    Thanks, that was very helpful. Do you know anything about international students, though? I was invited, but getting to Bristol involves flying there and staying overnight. It's not a long flight, but still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whoskal)
    Thanks, that was very helpful. Do you know anything about international students, though? I was invited, but getting to Bristol involves flying there and staying overnight. It's not a long flight, but still.
    I think they offer bursaries to cover the travel cost? I would email them about this.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.