Random Hero
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am currently writing about the effect of the postal rule in modern communication.

I have come to the conclusion that an offeror has complete control over the situation due to the offeror's ability to dictate the terms of the acceptance as given in HolwellSecurities v Hughes (1974)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the very significant effect of Holwell over the agency of the postal rule?
Bupdeeboowah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Random Hero)
I am currently writing about the effect of the postal rule in modern communication.

I have come to the conclusion that an offeror has complete control over the situation due to the offeror's ability to dictate the terms of the acceptance as given in HolwellSecurities v Hughes (1974)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the very significant effect of Holwell over the agency of the postal rule?
Perhaps you should contrast Holwell with Entores Ltd v Miles Far East Corporation, which basically ignored the postal rule when it came to modern communication, though I think it was a Denning judgment.
Random Hero
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
Perhaps you should contrast Holwell with Entores Ltd v Miles Far East Corporation, which basically ignored the postal rule when it came to modern communication, though I think it was a Denning judgment.
I've considered Entores but Denning's judgement seems to rest on the instantaneous of the communication to disregard the postal rule. I've found that where contracting is genuinely conducted inter absentes the offeror has such ease in side-steping the postal rule that much of the debate seems moot and I am struggling to write a compelling conclusion!
Bupdeeboowah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Random Hero)
I've considered Entores but Denning's judgement seems to rest on the instantaneous of the communication to disregard the postal rule. I've found that where contracting is genuinely conducted inter absentes the offeror has such ease in side-steping the postal rule that much of the debate seems moot and I am struggling to write a compelling conclusion!
Well that could be your conclusion! Doesn't seem like a weak one at all.

Though the question is about modern communication - not too many people write letters nowadays.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.17%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (35)
10.42%
Financial worries (24)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.12%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.44%

Watched Threads