Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently writing about the effect of the postal rule in modern communication.

I have come to the conclusion that an offeror has complete control over the situation due to the offeror's ability to dictate the terms of the acceptance as given in HolwellSecurities v Hughes (1974)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the very significant effect of Holwell over the agency of the postal rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random Hero)
    I am currently writing about the effect of the postal rule in modern communication.

I have come to the conclusion that an offeror has complete control over the situation due to the offeror's ability to dictate the terms of the acceptance as given in HolwellSecurities v Hughes (1974)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the very significant effect of Holwell over the agency of the postal rule?
    Perhaps you should contrast Holwell with Entores Ltd v Miles Far East Corporation, which basically ignored the postal rule when it came to modern communication, though I think it was a Denning judgment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Perhaps you should contrast Holwell with Entores Ltd v Miles Far East Corporation, which basically ignored the postal rule when it came to modern communication, though I think it was a Denning judgment.
    I've considered Entores but Denning's judgement seems to rest on the instantaneous of the communication to disregard the postal rule. I've found that where contracting is genuinely conducted inter absentes the offeror has such ease in side-steping the postal rule that much of the debate seems moot and I am struggling to write a compelling conclusion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random Hero)
    I've considered Entores but Denning's judgement seems to rest on the instantaneous of the communication to disregard the postal rule. I've found that where contracting is genuinely conducted inter absentes the offeror has such ease in side-steping the postal rule that much of the debate seems moot and I am struggling to write a compelling conclusion!
    Well that could be your conclusion! Doesn't seem like a weak one at all.

Though the question is about modern communication - not too many people write letters nowadays.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.