Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Starting my dissertation... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm starting my dissertation and I've gotten no further than starting a ridiculously convoluted flow chart and saving any article that I think is relevant to my bookmarks.

What is the most efficient way to comb through research articles? I struggle to think how Im going to read 50+ research articles in their entirety without continually falling asleep at the keys. Ive had no issue in the past since papers have generally required no more than 15 sources for 3000 words and I could easily summarize them in a word document, but I feel like if I summarize at least 50 articles in word Im going to lose/forget about alot of it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to read the whole article - start with the abstract. If it's still interesting read the conclusion. Then maybe the introduction. And if it's still relevant then the rest. Unless your dissertation is a literature review you won't need to summarise lots of articles - you probably just need to pick out one or two key ideas, themes or points from each one you use. If you use Refworks or something similar you won't even need to write them up by hand. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my dissertation is a 20 credit, so its entirely made up of a literature review.

ReputationRep:
    I just googled "how to write a literature review dissertation" and it gave loads of useful advice - I presume you've already done something like that and know HOW to do what you're about to do...? If it's just a case of reading the articles then personally I'd make up a timetable to give some structure to your day. Once you've identified the articles you need then allow, perhaps, 1 hour per article and factor in breaks, meals etc. Then stick to your plan. 8 articles a day and you've done your reading in a week. Everyone has different ways of working though so YMMV.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.