The Student Room Group

Last night I got called the 'N' word...

Scroll to see replies

Happens to me all the time as well. I'll say something stupid and immediately people will say "Tom, you're so naive". FFS no I'm not!
Reply 61
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
I hadn't read the top bit of his post tbh

How is using racist insults worse than using sexist insults?

No it's not, you're one of the worst here for this

Overall this thread is a massive ****fest, I would say at least one or two of the posters are genuine anti-black racists, but there are also selfish posters who clearly have problems with anything which takes the focus of them specifically.

Personally what I say, get rich and move to a nice affluent area where people are not racist. Cornwall for all it's natural beauty is a depressed ex-mining ****hole

Ohh noo. How dareeee me for talking about something bad that's happened to me and then wanting to find out from others if the same happened and how they dealt with it. Ohh noo, I'm such an awful, selfish, narcissistic person! God help me!

Get over yourself, and get off the thread if it bothers you so much.
Original post by Novascope
Ohh noo. How dareeee me for talking about something bad that's happened to me and then wanting to find out from others if the same happened and how they dealt with it. Ohh noo, I'm such an awful, selfish, narcissistic person! God help me!

Get over yourself, and get off the thread if it bothers you so much.

I didn't have a problem with this thread until you told a guy whose mother suffered the same thing in a sexist context that what she suffered doesn't matter.
Reply 63
I didn't have a problem with this thread until you told a guy whose mother suffered the same thing in a sexist context that what she suffered doesn't matter.

But it WASN'T in a sexist context. His mum refused to buy something from that man, and out of anger he called her a bitch. COMPLETELY different to me just minding my own business at a bus stop and having ****** yelled at me from a car! Are you seriously that stupid?
But it WASN'T in a sexist context. His mum refused to buy something from that man, and out of anger he called her a bitch. COMPLETELY different to me just minding my own business at a bus stop and having ****** yelled at me from a car! Are you seriously that stupid?

How does not buying something make it justified?

Is she legally obliged to buy things? :confused:

How is using racist insults worse than using sexist insults?

the struggles women have faced do not amount to the struggles of people of colour. White women for generations have been revered and generally been kept safe, whereas women of colour have been demonized, vilifed persecuted and made to feel like ****. racism is not equal to sexism because the issues between the genders are not as serious as the issues between the races. this essentially all comes down to history.

Pay gap? that's pretty bad but you're still getting paid much better when compared to people of colour in developing countries, who are in the positions they are in due to racist colonialism

there's also the issue of being both a POC and a woman, which gives you a double problem
When I was 12 I was in the car with my mum and there were two queues to fill up your car, my mum went into the queue and the man in the other car (looked 21) came out and started banging really hard on the window and shouted "go back to your ****ing country" and my sister was 7 and got really scared he then kicked the car and shouted "****ing Muslims". While this happened the girl he was with in the car was laughing and finding it extremely funny... If I had just one wish, it would be to go back in time and to teach him a lesson.
Reply 67
How does not buying something make it justified?

Is she legally obliged to buy things? :confused:

Omg I'm not justifying it! I'm trying to say that he cannot compare my situation to that because they're two completely different things. She shouldn't have been called a bitch, but she was because some man was mad she didn't buy something. How is that similar to me being called something because of the colour of my skin.
Reply 68
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
if only it were that simple...

Maybe the second part
Not taking things to heart is easy for me :smug:
And I love the way people react differently to me thanking them after an insult :biggrin:
the struggles women have faced do not amount to the struggles of people of colour. White women for generations have been revered and generally been kept safe, whereas women of colour have been demonized, vilifed persecuted and made to feel like ****. racism is not equal to sexism because the issues between the genders are not as serious as the issues between the races. this essentially all comes down to history.

Pay gap? that's pretty bad but you're still getting paid much better when compared to people of colour in developing countries, who are in the positions they are in due to racist colonialism

there's also the issue of being both a POC and a woman, which gives you a double problem

I'm not really sure.

Women suffer things like rapes, even historically marital rape, denial of property especially structural oppression reinforced by society but you seem to just overlook it.
Reply 70

PRSOM.

Original post by Ahmed766
When I was 12 I was in the car with my mum and there were two queues to fill up your car, my mum went into the queue and the man in the other car (looked 21) came out and started banging really hard on the window and shouted "go back to your ****ing country" and my sister was 7 and got really scared he then kicked the car and shouted "****ing Muslims". While this happened the girl he was with in the car was laughing and finding it extremely funny... If I had just one wish, it would be to go back in time and to teach him a lesson.

I'm sorry to hear that happened. I understand how mad you are now when you look back on it, but tbh you cannot lower yourself down to the same standards and racist people. I struggle so much with not getting too angry, when I see racist things on the internet or in person, but when people don't understand why your mad or even try to tell you you're wrong for being mad it makes you want to get even more angrier...
Omg I'm not justifying it! I'm trying to say that he cannot compare my situation to that because they're two completely different things. She shouldn't have been called a bitch, but she was because some man was mad she didn't buy something. How is that similar to me being called something because of the colour of my skin.

Not sure if stupid or trolling.

I agree you did nothing to provoke the racist who insulted you, but I don't see how not buying something is provocation.
Reply 72
Not sure if stupid or trolling.

I agree you did nothing to provoke the racist who insulted you, but I don't see how not buying something is provocation.

No clearly you're the stupid one.

Ffs. What happened to that person's mum is wrong, how many bloody times do I have to say that I don't agree with it? But it never happened because she was a woman, or because she was whatever colour she is, it happened because someone was angry he never made a sale, and THAT is why that situation cannot be compared to mine. Blimey. Some troll you are.
Thank you for being considerate and not completely ignorant. Being called a ****** in an age where supposedly "racism doesn't exist" is ****ed. But what I find ****ed right now is the fact that people on here have the audacity to tell me i'm wrong for pointing out what happened and wanting to find out from others if they've experienced and how they dealt with it. Crazy how ignorant people are.

Stupid people exist all over the place and most definitely on TSR too haha. Obviously racism does still exist. But... Acting defensively about that only serves to divide you from non-racist people that are not your race. So there's a fine line.

Do you ever find that? That the response to racism can cause vast changes in the ways in which racism is dealt with by those who are not victims of racism?

I don't know what the best response is tbh. I think, maybe it really is just ignoring it. These people are really not worth your time. They just don't understand. They are delusional. Usually had a poor upbringing.
No clearly you're the stupid one.

Ffs. What happened to that person's mum is wrong, how many bloody times do I have to say that I don't agree with it? But it never happened because she was a woman, or because she was whatever colour she is, it happened because someone was angry he never made a sale, and THAT is why that situation cannot be compared to mine. Blimey. Some troll you are.

It's a term used to undermine and degrade women.

Some guys call women negative terms for turning them down for sex, just because the woman turned them down, does not mean there is some explanation.
I'm not really sure.

Women suffer things like rapes, even historically marital rape, denial of property especially structural oppression reinforced by society but you seem to just overlook it.

A lot of those things have been rectified in the western world. the issues of race have not been rectified.

i wouldnt mind people calling me the n word if the police werent racially profiling me, if i didnt have to worry about getting a job because of my surname and if society generally accepted black people as equal to whites in beauty, intelligence etc etc but these things have not been rectified by society and we still live in a racist society. All these things link back and mirror slavery and colonialism, so thats why a word that originated centuries ago is still painful today.

yes we live in a sexist society but the impact of sexism is much less, which is why you have so many people saying feminism isnt relevant.

when history is not sorted out, words like n****** will hurt more than bitch, because the latter has been largely sorted out.

Now yes women in developing world do suffer from the things you mentioned but we're talking about a white women in this example. white women have gained a lot in terms of social respect so if they're called a bitch it is not equal to being called the n-word
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SwedishRedhead
You're the one who needs to grow up. I actually agree with some of the so called "right wing nut jobs" on here but this post is pure idiocy.

Trying to spin that someone using the N word, a racist insult, just means that their "opinion on globalisation is different"? No. Do one. That's not like disagreeing with immigration or something, that's just plain stupidity from him. As you've also displayed. Are you socially stunted or just playing dumb? :h:

You're not even British yourself lmao, you're an immigrant. What about "globalisation" in your case? (Yeah I'm an immigrant too, as people can guess from my username, but I'm not the one making nutty posts)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1420462

I'm not an immigrant, silly. You should be more thorough. πŸ˜‰
A lot of those things have been rectified in the western world. the issues of race have not been rectified.

i wouldnt mind people calling me the n word if the police werent racially profiling me, if i didnt have to worry about getting a job because of my surname and if society generally accepted black people as equal to whites in beauty, intelligence etc etc but these things have not been rectified by society and we still live in a racist society. All these things link back and mirror slavery and colonialism, so thats why a word that originated centuries ago is still painful today.

yes we live in a sexist society but the impact of sexism is much less, which is why you have so many people saying feminism isnt relevant.

when history is not sorted out, words like ****** will hurt more than bitch, because the latter has been largely sorted out

I think misogynistic hatred and racial hatred generally manifest themselves differently which is why it's hard to say one is worse.

Women are often pedestalised so long as they conform to male expectations and then dehumanised if they fail to conform, sort of like pampered prisoners which is why things like spousal abuse happen in a very private way. Whereas the initial thinking behind racism was to stop Black people who were enslaved rising up and now much of the thinking is poorly educated low class Whites who don't like competition for dwindling low skilled labour jobs.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think misogynistic hatred and racial hatred generally manifest themselves differently which is why it's hard to say one is worse.

Women are often pedestalised so long as they conform to male expectations and then dehumanised if they fail to confirm, sort of like pampered prisoners which is why things like spousal abuse happen in a very private way. Whereas the initial thinking behind racism was to stop Black people who were enslaved rising up and now much of the thinking is poorly educated low class Whites who don't like competition for dwindling low skilled labour jobs.

i still dont see how thats worst than being a black person today. as valid as the white women struggle is, a POC would kill to be in their position. Especially women POC because they suffer all the issues of women but also suffer racism.

Racism is not isolated to poor working class whites. Racism is in all sects of society and is upheld by the institutions we live in. Racism is very much a middle and upper class problem
Been there OP, the shock itself is like a wake up call.

Living in London is a completely different situation to the rest of England tbh. I don't think I ever experienced racism in London, apart from inbred kids when I was growing up.

In my experience the worst kind of racism is the covert kind. You can consciously feel that your the "other", people make subtle jokes, leave you out of conversations etc, it can make you feel subhuman almost.

As nice a place England is I think that there still exists an underlying culture of racism which wont go away no matter how diverse it gets, though I always wanted to live here when I grow up the more I see more of it the more out of place I feel.

Quick Reply

Latest