Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, so I found out a couple of months ago that I have genital warts.

I've been using warticon and the original wart is gone but a new one appeared and is being stubborn -.- I know everyone is different but if anyone's tried warticon what are your experiences? Is it making much of a difference?

And I (unexpectedly) have met someone. Bad timing right, but I do quite like them. I feel deceptive keeping this to myself and I really want to tell them but then again it's only been a month so quite early days and I need to feel that even if they decide to call it a day they will keep my business private.

If things progress, any advice on how to explain about the warts honestly but without rambling on?

ReputationRep:
    perhaps you could find a well informed leaflet and give it to them to read? that way they can get the facts and it can help debunk any preconceptions they might have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In terms of outcome, it doesn't seem to make much difference which treatment is chosen. More or less whatever you do, one of three things happens with warts: they go away, they get worse / come back, or they stay the same. Most of the time, the body gets rid of the virus itself within around two years.

Yes, you can't 'un-come out' about something and you can't be certain what someone is going to do with the info. If they're female, have they had one of the vaccines against HPV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    In terms of outcome, it doesn't seem to make much difference which treatment is chosen. More or less whatever you do, one of three things happens with warts: they go away, they get worse / come back, or they stay the same. Most of the time, the body gets rid of the virus itself within around two years.

Yes, you can't 'un-come out' about something and you can't be certain what someone is going to do with the info. If they're female, have they had one of the vaccines against HPV?
    Hey, thanks for the response. I was considering cryotherapy at some point but you're right, it's going to take time either way.

And I'm referring to a guy, I'm the female lol. I missed the vaccination back in school

I'm preparing for the worst hoping for the best when the time comes to tell.

Personally, if someone told you after some time would you be angry/feel deceived or could you understand in some way?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I am somewhat unusual in that I don't expect people to come out about such things. Perhaps because of this, they have done.

Most people have at least one strain of HPV at some point in their life: everyone who's ever had a wart, a verruca, etc etc. The only reason some people think of these as different is where they are. Lots of people have the strains that can cause genital warts without ever knowing it and for those who do get actual warts, for men it's typically just a cosmetic issue - you're the one probably at an increased risk of genital warts. Not everyone does think like this, and some will run away screaming.

You can minimise the chance of this by raising the subject before any risky activity rather than after it. It doesn't need to be direct, and something like a 'did you see the story about...' can help with judging how someone will react if they are told.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.2015)
    Hello, so I found out a couple of months ago that I have genital warts.

I've been using warticon and the original wart is gone but a new one appeared and is being stubborn -.- I know everyone is different but if anyone's tried warticon what are your experiences? Is it making much of a difference?

And I (unexpectedly) have met someone. Bad timing right, but I do quite like them. I feel deceptive keeping this to myself and I really want to tell them but then again it's only been a month so quite early days and I need to feel that even if they decide to call it a day they will keep my business private.

If things progress, any advice on how to explain about the warts honestly but without rambling on?
    Genital warts are curable, not too difficult either but you should be aware they are generally more serious in a woman than a man, genital warts can throw off a smear test result, my sister had them, her smear test showed possible cancerous cells and she had a biopsy, turned out it was a false reading due to warts. women find them more difficult to deal with because of access issues, men can simply paint the treatment on. if you are having sex, make him wear a condom, it'll minimise the risk of passing it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted;[url="tel:60135073")
    60135073[/url]]I am somewhat unusual in that I don't expect people to come out about such things. Perhaps because of this, they have done.

Most people have at least one strain of HPV at some point in their life: everyone who's ever had a wart, a verruca, etc etc. The only reason some people think of these as different is where they are. Lots of people have the strains that can cause genital warts without ever knowing it and for those who do get actual warts, for men it's typically just a cosmetic issue - you're the one probably at an increased risk of genital warts. Not everyone does think like this, and some will run away screaming.

You can minimise the chance of this by raising the subject before any risky activity rather than after it. It doesn't need to be direct, and something like a 'did you see the story about...' can help with judging how someone will react if they are told.

Good luck.
    Yeah definitely wouldn't take things to the next level without disclosing first. And that's a good idea, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martin Willmott;[url="tel:60139303")
    60139303[/url]]Genital warts are curable, not too difficult either but you should be aware they are generally more serious in a woman than a man, genital warts can throw off a smear test result, my sister had them, her smear test showed possible cancerous cells and she had a biopsy, turned out it was a false reading due to warts. women find them more difficult to deal with because of access issues, men can simply paint the treatment on. if you are having sex, make him wear a condom, it'll minimise the risk of passing it on.
    Glad your sisters results weren't so bad.

The age is 25 to start getting screened for cervical cancer...I have 5 years to wait, wishing it wasn't so long.

And will do - if it ever happens. We're enjoying each others company but nothing remotely physical could happen until I inform him about myself.

If you personally we're seeing a girl (or guy) and she (he) told you after quite some time would you feel deceived? It's hard I want to be upfront because I feel dishonest but I want to make sure I can trust him to keep it confidential regardless of if he chooses to stay with me or not.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You may or may not find that the screening starts earlier for people who have had genital warts - ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    You may or may not find that the screening starts earlier for people who have had genital warts - ask.
    you could probably simply request a smear test they are encouraging this sort of thing because its better than being too late but it'd be pointless while you have warts, clear that first 😉

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.