Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Combining 2 courses into one PS?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm new here and I have a some problems in writing my personal statement. I am planning to apply for pharmacy as well as chemical engineering. Both courses are so different and I have no idea how to combine the 2 into one personal statement. I appreciate any advice given

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HunGoh1997)
    Hello! I'm new here and I have a some problems in writing my personal statement. I am planning to apply for pharmacy as well as chemical engineering. Both courses are so different and I have no idea how to combine the 2 into one personal statement. I appreciate any advice given
    Without knowing anything about those courses, you're more likely to get in if you make a PS tailored to a specific course (showing interest and dedication to it) rather than two. I'd recommend choosing just one course to apply for and write a PS for that. Making the choice will require some research that will hopefully help you decide what pursuit is best for you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The courses are vastly different and admissions tutors will be looking for very different things from statements for both so you need to pick one.

ReputationRep:
    You should decide on a career first.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I didn't expect for such a prompt response from you guys! okay thks guys, I will reconsider my choices

ReputationRep:
    I applied for some Theoretical Physics courses and some Mathematics courses. I tried to show how learning about 1 increased my enthusiasm for the other and how I enjoyed aspects which are found in both subjects. My subjects are different than yours how ever you could maybe use a similar idea? For example, you might want to study pharmacy because it includes chemical engineering while putting it to good use, maybe you would like to design cheaper medicine so you could save the NHS money. Maybe not that but you get the idea.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Well it's kinda hard because I love chemistry and I'm hoping to pursue something in the chemistry field. Pharmacy is really exciting for me but at the same time chemical engineering offers better career prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    I applied for some Theoretical Physics courses and some Mathematics courses. I tried to show how learning about 1 increased my enthusiasm for the other and how I enjoyed aspects which are found in both subjects. My subjects are different than yours how ever you could maybe use a similar idea? For example, you might want to study pharmacy because it includes chemical engineering while putting it to good use, maybe you would like to design cheaper medicine so you could save the NHS money. Maybe not that but you get the idea.

Best of luck!
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I take a combined course - some universities will let you submit a separate personal statement to your main one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlygiggle)
    Hi, I take a combined course - some universities will let you submit a separate personal statement to your main one
    How do you do that? The UCAS application only allows one personal statement if I'm not mistaken?

ReputationRep:
    How do you do that? The UCAS application only allows one personal statement if I'm not mistaken?
    Yes UCAS only allows one, however I have been to open days where they say if you don't think your ps reflects the course you're applying for at that uni, you can email a different one to the university's admissions department - it doesn't go via ucas. I never did this - I just remember it being an option. But obviously not every university will do this but it's worth asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlygiggle)
    Yes UCAS only allows one, however I have been to open days where they say if you don't think your ps reflects the course you're applying for at that uni, you can email a different one to the university's admissions department - it doesn't go via ucas. I never did this - I just remember it being an option. But obviously not every university will do this but it's worth asking
    Wow thanks a lot! Will definitely do that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are two ways

One: only address one course - you only talk about one particular subject if you apply to a combined course.

Another: address both courses by a dedicate link - for example - you combine economics and psychology together you can talk about how psychological effect has an impact on consumer culture etc and hence affects the economy... etc.

do some reading and you will find out how to do it

good luck
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If you apply to pharmacy with a PS that isn't 100% about pharmacy you will be rejected. Like most health related courses they have more than enough applications from people dedicated and committed to just that course/career - they're not likely to give a space to an applicant who doesn't show commitment in their PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you apply to pharmacy with a PS that isn't 100% about pharmacy you will be rejected. Like most health related courses they have more than enough applications from people dedicated and committed to just that course/career - they're not likely to give a space to an applicant who doesn't show commitment in their PS.
    Thanks for noting that. I think I have to rethink everything before writing my PS. Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks for noting that. I think I have to rethink everything before writing my PS. Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck.

I'd personally recommend you use writing your PS to help make your decision. Start drafting a PS for both courses - usually this will help you figure out which option you truly want to go for and which one you're struggle more to justify

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.