Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm applying to university for next year to do nursing. My current laptop is on borrowed time, I've had it for about seven years.
    I've been looking into getting a tablet with a detachable keyboard, and the microsoft surface has caught my eye. Unfortunately, the surface 3 pro is reeeally expensive, so was looking at just the surface 3. Any reviews on this one, in terms of memory, performance, battery life, etc?
    Have also been told that lenovo is doing some good laptops at the moment, but (as shallow as I know this may sound!) I really like the look of the surface in comparison to a small lenovo laptop - I think the one that was suggested to me was a lenovo yoga..?
    I'm not massively into computers, so I just want something reliable, light weight, not more than about £600, long battery life...compatible with windows 10 as well!

Thank you in advance!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I recommend the surface

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at getting a new laptop or tablet next term because I think my laptop is slowly dying too. I feel slightly dubious about getting a tablet though, as I think it would be difficult to do work on. I don't think I could see my self doing an essay or research on one. I think an actual laptop for uni would be best, what do other people think?

ReputationRep:
    macbook 2nd hand for under 600

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judogainz)
    macbook 2nd hand for under 600
    Not a fan of iMacs! I want something fully compatible with Windows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I recommend the surface
    laggy as hell
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by judogainz)
    laggy as hell
    I have the 3 and its fine. If that's not enough can always go with the pro model (or the 4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I have the 3 and its fine. If that's not enough can always go with the pro model (or the 4)
    Ah, at my School we where given the 3 but i just find them rather frustrating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggie1008)
    Hi guys,
    I'm applying to university for next year to do nursing. My current laptop is on borrowed time, I've had it for about seven years.
    I've been looking into getting a tablet with a detachable keyboard, and the microsoft surface has caught my eye. Unfortunately, the surface 3 pro is reeeally expensive, so was looking at just the surface 3. Any reviews on this one, in terms of memory, performance, battery life, etc?
    Have also been told that lenovo is doing some good laptops at the moment, but (as shallow as I know this may sound!) I really like the look of the surface in comparison to a small lenovo laptop - I think the one that was suggested to me was a lenovo yoga..?
    I'm not massively into computers, so I just want something reliable, light weight, not more than about £600, long battery life...compatible with windows 10 as well!

Thank you in advance!!
    I am at sixthform and have the surface 3 for 2 months now and i absolutely love it, it is portable, easy to use and fast. It is perfect for students however it is not so good if you want to do a lot of photo editing or if you want to play games like cs go on it.

ReputationRep:
    The Surface Pro 3 will likely be on discounts since the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book were recently released.

The standard Surface non-pro line are fine though you should really look for the Pro options (there is a reason why they're undoubtedly the best student devices).

My advice, if you can afford it, is having the Surface Pro (3 or 4) with the i3, preferably 8GB RAM, plus a 500GB+ portable external hard drive if you want to store large media files.

You can go even further by keeping a widescreen monitor in your room, as well as a USB mouse and keyboard connected to a USB hub, plugged into the Surface Pro 3 (this will only probably cost around £120 extra). This way, you can have the portability and power when you're moving around, and when you're doing work in your room you have a full almost-desktop solution with the large monitor.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.