The Student Room Group

22 hours in, i just want to atleast attempt my first practical test but...

Hey, I've been with red driving school only. Im at 22 hours in, i feel very confident with my driving except a few manoeuvres left to learn.
Problem is I had to cancel my test date before coming uni, now the nearest one is in mid December, of course i can look out for cancellations.

However this means booking more lessons with red to maintain my driving...heres the problem. Im paying £28.75 per hour, its more expensive here (southampton) than back in London - i feel ripped off. (I called them up, cant help me there)

I want one hour lessons, but they say they only give 2 hour lessons with my current new instructor (just had a 2 hr lesson, he is good but does it justify that damn price?!?!), and all others are fully booked/unavailable.

At this late stage, my parents recommend me to carry on with red rather than hold back my progress all to try and save money...im stuck. I can try new instructors where the £/hr is reasonable, but that means waiting 2+weeks for them, could be a waste of my money and time. I had to also wait an astonishing 4 weeks for red for my first lesson at my uni address, but it means I can now have weekly - expensive 2hr lessons...

At this stage i dont know if its worth trying other companies/various instructors as ironically that can also waste even more time/money if I dont think they are good...

Feeling very annoyed, what would you do...?

kind regards,
Jay
Original post by Jaydude
I can try new instructors where the £/hr is reasonable,

I suggest you do this. This particular organisation is clearly a rip-off -- £28.75 for one hour is outrageous. The fact that they'll only give you two-hour lessons is another hint that you need to get rid of them.
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
I suggest you do this. This particular organisation is clearly a rip-off -- £28.75 for one hour is outrageous. The fact that they'll only give you two-hour lessons is another hint that you need to get rid of them.

Thanks for your reply, Called them up again... now i agree 100% with you. My test date can wait i guess until i get a decent instuctor for decent price.
I'm slightly baffled with your instructor to be honest, I am also with Red and by 22 hours i had learned everything with the exception of country roads. It is more expensive though so i understand where you are coming from. However, as they say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Before i was with Red, i was with a small driving school and the instructor i was sent was just awful. He would shout constantly at the smallest errors, and claim he was so busy he could only offer me one lesson every three weeks. So just be wary.

Best of luck.
Reply 4
Original post by SneakyPenguin
I'm slightly baffled with your instructor to be honest, I am also with Red and by 22 hours i had learned everything with the exception of country roads. It is more expensive though so i understand where you are coming from. However, as they say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Before i was with Red, i was with a small driving school and the instructor i was sent was just awful. He would shout constantly at the smallest errors, and claim he was so busy he could only offer me one lesson every three weeks. So just be wary.

Best of luck.

And you were 100% correct. Went back with Red with my original instructor - best one I had, didn't realise until I had been with other much poorer instructors with smaller/local companies. Passed first time @ 38 hrs, despite lessons being on the expensive scale it was worth it. (got it down to £25/hr so not too bad)

Thanks for your words. :smile:

Jay

Posted from TSR Mobile
I passed of 17 hours just lessons you'll be mine its a mental thing! U got this pass your test!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending