Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

28th Oct: Are you having enough fun? watch

Announcements
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    On this week’s Surgery Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about FUN.

Do you ever worry that you’re not ‘fun’ enough or feel pressured to be more fun? Or maybe you're struggling to find the right balance between work and play? Are the pressures of your studies or job are stopping you from having fun?

Let us know your stories and thoughts in the comments below!

Note: you can post anonymously in this forum
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)

Do you ever worry that you’re not ‘fun’ enough or feel pressured to be more fun? Or maybe you're struggling to find the right balance between work and play? Are the pressures of your studies or job are stopping you from having fun?

'play' comes second to my studies. I love doing my AS art and this counts as my hobby i do it to relax and i love it. I have fun in a different way to most people, rather than partying i prefer birdwatching and going to museums but mainly i just want to do my work to the best of my ability

ReputationRep:

I'm maybe having a little bit more fun then I should be at the moment (as made evident by my decreasing bank balance). However, usually I'm pretty good at getting the balance right. I can go out have fun with friends or really just chill by myself - I have to admit, it can be hard sometimes as if all my mates are off I'd feel like I'd have to join them - I still don't feel like you should feel pressured to have fun though, it's entirely up to you.

ReputationRep:

More-so during half-terms such as this one actually. I recently had to cancel my own "gathering" as I realised I wasn't able to keep up with my own schedule sheerly due to the amount work I have been set.

I've always found that balance between work and play hard as from one aspect I'm pressured by my family to get another job, and then the next second they're telling me I need to get out more - so there is always that pressure from family too.

I don't have enough fun to keep me happy I think, now that I think about it I do often feel down and I'm usually swarmed in work or other obligations which prevent me from being social in some aspects.

ReputationRep:
    no not really

I'm definitely having fun with my friends because a lot of our conversations are energetic and funny.
    It's always a downer when I have to start working again, even though I feel guilty if I've been having fun for too long.
    But I think I'm balancing work and play quite well, as I don't feel stressed and I'm happy

ReputationRep:
    I think people's idea of fun can be very different and can change as they find out who they are... I just had my birthday and had the nicest time but it was mainly just ordering in wagamamas and watching Walking Dead and then eating out with my friends in the evening.

I would say budgeting gets more in the way of fun than anything else... if you work with lovely people, such as in our office, than coming into work can be a lot of fun too

ReputationRep:
    I'm having far too much fun and paying the consequences for it at Uni at the moment tbh.

Not really. UCAS application stress + pesky life trajectory-determining aptitude tests = not fun. :/

I enjoy studying, it keeps me on the straight and narrow.
    When I'm given to much free time my mind starts to wonder and inevitably I just end up down the pub spending money I don't have on pints that do my body no favours. Just stuck in a cycle of work hard Monday to Friday and then destroy my body with drink Saturday to Sunday, it's got to the point I don't even enjoy drinking but I'll do it just to pass the time. Gone from a few pints with friends to bottles of wine and vodka to get drunk quickly and cheaply and free me from my own brain for a while.

ReputationRep:
    I like my A levels and academia in general, but I wouldn't call it fun at this point. Maybe it will be better at university, when I can study exactly what I'm interested in. Until then, my friends and my boyfriend are my sources of fun.

I can handle the balance at the moment, but it's 70% work and 30% play because my grades are permanent. I really hope my relationship lasts through university, I think I've found someone really special and I don't want to scare him away with my work ethic and the potential long-distance thing. :love:

ReputationRep:
    I'll be quite honest, I'm a fun loving guy and have always gotten on pretty well socially, but I've never felt more isolated and miserable than after starting uni.

ReputationRep:
    Fun? What does that even mean?
    :/

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe you're struggling to find the right balance between work and play?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have fun enough to live my life out. Don't need more of it. That is the right dose.

(Original post by Emily.97)
    Fun? What does that even mean?
    :/
    To be amused maybe?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

People say I'm boring, and I mean if you take the conventional definition of fun, they're probably right. Although, I enjoy problem solving and I study further maths and computer science; so I have lots of fun according to me. I guess it's all about perspective.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Andy98)
    People say I'm boring, and I mean if you take the conventional definition of fun, they're probably right. Although, I enjoy problem solving and I study further maths and computer science; so I have lots of fun according to me. I guess it's all about perspective.
    I guess, you are right. If have fun means enjoying something. I would say reading books and drawing pictures make fun too. Me at least.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I guess, you are right. If have fun means enjoying something. I would say reading books and drawing pictures make fun too. Me at least.
    Nothing wrong with a good book

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Nothing wrong with a good book

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think the same. There are really a lot of good books which make fun by reading them.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Think the same. There are really a lot of good books which make fun by reading them.
    Indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 23, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.