Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hit a wing mirror :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just had my 16th driving lesson (totalling 32 hours). I've never had an issues with driving, and my instructor told me I pick things up really fast so today was a complete shock and I feel really shaken up.

Basically, I was getting ready to do a parallel park and pulled up too wide against the car I was going to use. My instructor told me to narrow the gap so I began reversing and swung in closer, but in the process, clipped their front wing mirror. I couldn't believe I'd done something so stupid after so many lessons, and generally doing quite well. My instructor got angry and started looking to make sure there so no damage, and then told me to drive on. He then kept forgetting to give me directions so I could tell he was annoyed, and he didn't really say much for the rest of the journey.

Because I was so stressed, I then went on and stalled at a junction and apparently went too slow into my estate on the way home.

Since getting home, my heart's still pounding and I feel really uneasy. I really don't want to have to do another lesson next week, but my test's in less than 3 weeks and I'm afraid I'll end up failing if I don't. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanroks1)
    I've just had my 16th driving lesson (totalling 32 hours). I've never had an issues with driving, and my instructor told me I pick things up really fast so today was a complete shock and I feel really shaken up.

Basically, I was getting ready to do a parallel park and pulled up too wide against the car I was going to use. My instructor told me to narrow the gap so I began reversing and swung in closer, but in the process, clipped their front wing mirror. I couldn't believe I'd done something so stupid after so many lessons, and generally doing quite well. My instructor got angry and started looking to make sure there so no damage, and then told me to drive on. He then kept forgetting to give me directions so I could tell he was annoyed, and he didn't really say much for the rest of the journey.

Because I was so stressed, I then went on and stalled at a junction and apparently went too slow into my estate on the way home.

Since getting home, my heart's still pounding and I feel really uneasy. I really don't want to have to do another lesson next week, but my test's in less than 3 weeks and I'm afraid I'll end up failing if I don't. Any advice?
    Change your driving instructor.

Seriously, if he gets that angry over the kind of mistake that a huge number of drivers have made, especially directing that anger towards a learner driver, then that is completely unacceptable.

By now you shouldn't be far off taking your test, so find a new instructor that is willing to take on a student who is a long way through the learning process and jump ship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)

Seriously, if he gets that angry over the kind of mistake that a huge number of drivers have made, especially directing that anger towards a learner driver, then that is completely unacceptable.

By now you shouldn't be far off taking your test, so find a new instructor that is willing to take on a student who is a long way through the learning process and jump ship.
    Thanks for your reply, I guess I just needed to vent. I would change but the block leading me up till my test has been prepaid in advance.

ReputationRep:

I've done the same thing in my instructor's car. My instructor wasn't angry, but too looked for damage (as he should) and told me to drive on. Tbh, when he tells me off it goes fairly quiet - probably because I get a little embarrassed. Like you, I also made a mistake after being told off its nothing to worry about! After making a mistake you'll get nervous. No big deal.

Was he angry? Or was he just disappointed? Tbh, if it was me in his position I'd be a little worried in that instant as I don't really want to have a broken wing mirror - nor would I want someone else's broke. In my next lesson I brought it up and he laughed it off and said its not the worse that happened! Then he started telling me some stories about other things like this...

And I totally disagree with the above statement. I think you should keep your instructor. He knows you, knows how you drive and knows how he can help you improve before your test.

Good luck for your test! I've got mine in 11 days :/

ReputationRep:
    What was your instructor doing to allow you to clip a door mirror? Was he not concentrating?

ReputationRep:
    I ran this scenario past my instructor and (after he joked that I'd be finding myself a new instructor) he explained that it is his responsibility to prevent that situation, either by directing my manoeuvre or by taking the wheel if need be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TashTLM)
    I ran this scenario past my instructor and (after he joked that I'd be finding myself a new instructor) he explained that it is his responsibility to prevent that situation, either by directing my manoeuvre or by taking the wheel if need be.
    Ethically? Yes.
    In the eyes of the law? No.

I agree that the instructor should've done something, but saying things like that are only encouraging the OP to rely on their instructor to prevent them from messing up. The Op needs to get into the habit of preventing this sort of stuff on their own using their own judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    Ethically? Yes.
    In the eyes of the law? No.

I agree that the instructor should've done something, but saying things like that are only encouraging the OP to rely on their instructor to prevent them from messing up. The Op needs to get into the habit of preventing this sort of stuff on their own using their own judgement.
    I so agree with the BIB, and, to be fair, it was significantly before 32 hours' tuition that I asked him.

I suspect that this will be one of those mistakes that the OP learns from though
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mackemforever)

Especially since the instructor should have spotted that it was going to happen and used his brakes or grabbed the wheel. I nearly clipped a mirror a couple times during my lessons but my instructor saved my ass both times :lol:

ReputationRep:

Argh, poor you, thing likes that are such a knock to the confidence when learning to drive. When I was first learning, I was going round a roundabout and I somehow managed to 'clang' the car into the curb as I was coming off, I was utterly traumatised but my instructor dealt with it by getting me to pull over and take a deep breath to calm down. He then continued the lesson as normal and was perfectly cheerful. If he had have been moody with me afterwards I would have been so upset. I cried when I got home anyway because I just felt so stupid! All I can say is, after a while I managed to move on from it and now I look back on it and laugh, and you will too. Your instructor possibly got moody because he failed to stop it happening and was also cross with himself, secretly.

ReputationRep:

On the day of my test, I had a pre-driving warm up session.

Because of my nerves, I full on grinded against the curb when doing a simple park of the car. Upon assessing the rims, my instructor became really really angry. He started taking photos of the wheel.

His exact words were: "If you can't even do a simple park, then you're going to fail this test. You'll fail." He then went on a rant about how even learners in their first few lessons could pass with no issues and that he was "astonished" that I couldn't do something so basic.

At this point, I was pissed too, but I told him that I was sorry (which I was) then asked him to let me do the test, which he reluctantly agreed after some thought.

I passed with 2 minors.

He became really nice to me then, and kept talking to me on the way back. I then snapped and said

"I can't believe you talked to me like that before my test. Who the hell do you think you are? You have insurance on the car, and it wasn't something which would have broken down the car. I pay you to teach me, not to be a ****."

He then started arguing with me again, so I got out of the car and walked away.

Moral of the story? You pay them, not the other way round. Something as minor as a scratch isn't something they should eve take out on you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it and don't let it put you off driving. People make mistakes all the time and that sounds like an easy one to make, I've come close to doing it myself (I'm a learner driver too). It's horrible when your instructor's unnecessarily strict. How are you now? x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.