Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What can I do with my life??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm 15 years old (male) and i have absolutely no idea what to do as a career except that i dont want to do anything involving politics or law. Right now, i am doing my gcse's and they are as follows:
    Triple science, English, Maths, RE(mandatory) , geography, psychology, sociology and Spanish.
    I have done much research into jobs and taken so many quizzes, etc but i just cant seem to find a job that would fit me. I need help, does anyone have any ideas of jobs that pay well?

ReputationRep:
    Are you considering going to university?
    I was in the same position as you a few years ago - there was literally NOTHING that i wanted to do as a job/career and not one school subject interested me. I was completely against the idea of university and felt awful seeing myself in a crappy dead-end job getting paid peanuts. It was so stressful seeing everyone else with aspirations.

It was weird because up until then my future seemed nonexistent, then in the first week of year 13 I had an epiphany - I was super interested in psychology and suddenly had all these plans to go to university and future goals, and now I can see myself earning a decent salary and working hard to be a top notch psychologist.

So at the moment you may think you're running out of time to choose a future career but you still have 2-3 years so don't stress and hopefully you'll soon realise what you want to do. I realised just in the nick of time as year 13 is when you start applying for universities and i was able to jump on that train (so to speak). Just do some research and don't stress or feel rushed. 15 is such a young age to be deciding on a future and teenagers dont get enough credit for that!

ReputationRep:
    P.s. without a degree it will be very hard to get good pay these days.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, you're only 15. I'm in year 13, it's time to apply to uni, and half of my friends still don't know what they want to do with their lives.
    Honestly, just relax for now. Choose good A levels you are actually interested in when the time comes, enjoy it. You'll find something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smileypig)
    What can I do with my life???
    I've been asking myself the same question for over ten years, and I'm still no closer to finding the answer... :dontknow:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Sorry my post wasn't at all helpful! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Pimp

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm 15 years old (male) and i have absolutely no idea what to do as a career except that i dont want to do anything involving politics or law. Right now, i am doing my gcse's and they are as follows:
    Triple science, English, Maths, RE(mandatory) , geography, psychology, sociology and Spanish.
    I have done much research into jobs and taken so many quizzes, etc but i just cant seem to find a job that would fit me. I need help, does anyone have any ideas of jobs that pay well?
    i was waiting for this thread to pop up....... im doing maths, english language and literature, triple science, R.S, IT, Arabic, History, Citizenship GCSE's and have no idea on what i wanna do in the future or what i wanna do as my A levels.......... applications for collage need to be handed in and im so feakin agitated...

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely considering uni, its just a matter of what to study and where i want to go. I really hope i have a magic epiphany like you talk about, thanks for the advice

(Original post by applesiw)
    Are you considering going to university?
    I was in the same position as you a few years ago - there was literally NOTHING that i wanted to do as a job/career and not one school subject interested me. I was completely against the idea of university and felt awful seeing myself in a crappy dead-end job getting paid peanuts. It was so stressful seeing everyone else with aspirations.

It was weird because up until then my future seemed nonexistent, then in the first week of year 13 I had an epiphany - I was super interested in psychology and suddenly had all these plans to go to university and future goals, and now I can see myself earning a decent salary and working hard to be a top notch psychologist.

So at the moment you may think you're running out of time to choose a future career but you still have 2-3 years so don't stress and hopefully you'll soon realise what you want to do. I realised just in the nick of time as year 13 is when you start applying for universities and i was able to jump on that train (so to speak). Just do some research and don't stress or feel rushed. 15 is such a young age to be deciding on a future and teenagers dont get enough credit for that!

ReputationRep:
    But what if i finally decide what i want to study at uni after my i have completed my A levels and then realise the A levels i chose were the wrong ones for that course? :banghead:

(Original post by Arusya)
    Don't worry about it, you're only 15. I'm in year 13, it's time to apply to uni, and half of my friends still don't know what they want to do with their lives.
    Honestly, just relax for now. Choose good A levels you are actually interested in when the time comes, enjoy it. You'll find something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're interested in science than maybe medicine?

ReputationRep:
    I looked into medicine but getting a degree in medicine just means becoming a doctor which is said to be a super stressful job. Plus, being a doctor is like being married to your job, however, i do like the hospital setting (oddly).

(Original post by harmony_x)
    If you're interested in science than maybe medicine?

ReputationRep:
    I looked into medicine but getting a degree in medicine just means becoming a doctor which is said to be a super stressful job. Plus, being a doctor is like being married to your job, however, i do like the hospital setting (oddly).
    what about healthcare science? they're essentially the ones behind the scenes, but without their input doctors would never be able to provide the correct treatments to patients. Plus the salary is nothing to turn your nose up at, and there are quite a few opportunities for advancement! if you go on the nhs website there is a lot of information about the many different fields, you should check it out, plus if you like the hospital setting then you will be spending a lot of your time in hospitals and laboratories. Best of luck, and by absolutely no means do you have to have your life figured out at this age

ReputationRep:
    But what if i finally decide what i want to study at uni after my i have completed my A levels and then realise the A levels i chose were the wrong ones for that course? :banghead:
    That's fine, there's always a way! There are foundation years, there are unis who will probably accept you even without the subject. Do you have any preferences in subjects? Maybe you prefer sciences over humanities, for example. To be honest, if you still don't know when you have to choose your A levels, just choose something broad, say Maths, Physics, History, Chemistry. That'd get you in pretty much any course, even medicine, except maybe Biology, Geography, English and that kind of stuff Quite often the requirements aren't specific, you have a range of subjects you could do and still get in, some courses don't even have specific requirements (law, psychology etc.), or say you need to do a science, for example.
    Basically, my point is, there is always a way! Don't worry, just be smart about choosing your A levels if you don't know what you wanna do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll look into it, thank you
    (Original post by ChloeNR)
    what about healthcare science? they're essentially the ones behind the scenes, but without their input doctors would never be able to provide the correct treatments to patients. Plus the salary is nothing to turn your nose up at, and there are quite a few opportunities for advancement! if you go on the nhs website there is a lot of information about the many different fields, you should check it out, plus if you like the hospital setting then you will be spending a lot of your time in hospitals and laboratories. Best of luck, and by absolutely no means do you have to have your life figured out at this age

ReputationRep:
    Thanks (and i definitely prefer science to humanities )
    (Original post by Arusya)
    That's fine, there's always a way! There are foundation years, there are unis who will probably accept you even without the subject. Do you have any preferences in subjects? Maybe you prefer sciences over humanities, for example. To be honest, if you still don't know when you have to choose your A levels, just choose something broad, say Maths, Physics, History, Chemistry. That'd get you in pretty much any course, even medicine, except maybe Biology, Geography, English and that kind of stuff Quite often the requirements aren't specific, you have a range of subjects you could do and still get in, some courses don't even have specific requirements (law, psychology etc.), or say you need to do a science, for example.
    Basically, my point is, there is always a way! Don't worry, just be smart about choosing your A levels if you don't know what you wanna do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take maths A-level, a language is often useful too. Other than that (or if you're very bad at them) do what you're good at. Do not apply for sociology or psychology at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applesiw)
    P.s. without a degree it will be very hard to get good pay these days.
    somethingbeautiful

ReputationRep:
    Why not psychology or sociology at uni?

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    Take maths A-level, a language is often useful too. Other than that (or if you're very bad at them) do what you're good at. Do not apply for sociology or psychology at university.

ReputationRep:
    Why not psychology or sociology at uni?
    Do it if you really like it but it's famously poor employment prospects esp sociology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Do it if you really like it but it's famously poor employment prospects esp sociology
    awkward, I'm a psychology offer holder I suppose it depends, your degree is what you make of it and you can make money in any field if you're ready to work for it. However, if you're not so sure of what you want to do OP pick something that has solid career prospects because then at least you'll have some guaranteed careers to fall back on. Things like sociology and psychology are harder to get a job with if you don't have a specific path in mind.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.