Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Study a levels at home watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I am 21 years old and looking to go to university. I did go to 6th form and completed the IB. The problem is now that I have decided to to university, any options I'd like to study need me to have done a specific subject at higher level, And I haven't done the ones they are asking for (either at all, or at higher level). So have taken it upon myself to get some A levels done where I can get the subjects I need and try my best to get a good grade. The issue I have now is that no local colleges do the subjects I want so really need an at home course. But every one I've looked at costs £400+. So for me that's £1200+ Upfront That I can't afford. I have seen some that you can pay monthly on but need a good credit rating to do so, which i don't have.
    Help please!

ReputationRep:
    Relax. Let's start. Tell me, what is it you want to pursue at University?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of in your position. I'm going to be 21 in December and I'm thinking of starting A-Levels IF and only IF I couldn't get all the satisfactory IGCSE results to get into Nottingham's foundation science.

Where did you look for that gave you quotas of £400? Online?

ReputationRep:
    I spent a while looking at different online colleges/at home courses/open colleges (such as ISC and The Open College) ect and all of them had a price range around the £400-£500 mark :/

ReputationRep:
    These online courses are terrible. Read up the reviews, all they do is hand you outdated mark sheets to solve. The majority of "tutors" do a half-assed answer when you ask them for help (you're considered lucky if you do get one that's enthusiastic and goes the extra mile for you). Read up the reviews on them, you'll find that they aren't really worth even a ten pound anyway.

I honestly think your best bet is to self-study. Because at the end of the day, it's the only barrier you must cross to get to your course. Pick up the syllabus and actually study the syllabus (yeah, know how many hours it is needed to finish... the ins and outs of it), then begin to divide your work into weeks, get the proper books (you can find them online if you search deep enough ) and look up resources/past papers online. Boom, you've studied the A-Levels without spending a fortune.

Afraid of losing motivation or getting the blues midway? Use the pomodoro method (google that), and subscribe to some YT channels like this one (https://www.youtube.com/user/electrickeye91). Besides, you aren't a child anymore that doesn't understand the consequences of not studying. From my PoV, the goal you're pursuing is strong enough to hold you tight on tracks, no worries. You might as well add few other goals, like getting a sick car, whatever that keeps you focused and satisfies you when you look it up in your breaks. Having a studyblog where you can show your progress is also a great thing to have (I wish I had done it sooner-- it gives me a huge boost of self esteem).

Good luck, mate

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about doing this but for a levels, a lot of the mark counts as coursework does it not? I need someone to mark thst before i subkit it in. And the subjects i want to study also reqcuire some practicals in a Lab. And then theres how to go about taking my exams.
    I have researched taking the exams alone before, but there doesn't seem to be all that much info on it, and the info I do find isn't very clear.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Reedy94)
    I was thinking about doing this but for a levels, a lot of the mark counts as coursework does it not? I need someone to mark thst before i subkit it in. And the subjects i want to study also reqcuire some practicals in a Lab. And then theres how to go about taking my exams.
    I have researched taking the exams alone before, but there doesn't seem to be all that much info on it, and the info I do find isn't very clear.
    Coursework in the new 2015 A Levels which are linear differs from subject to subject. Some subjects don't have them anymore at all and some of them have coursework in A2.

ReputationRep:
    Hi have you considered doing something called an Access to higher education course? it provides you with your missing GCSE'S and other A-level equivalents. Many also have a strong focus on sciences and humanities . mainly it is all coursework based, but may include some exams. You can also apply for a loan for it too.

ReputationRep:
    I have all the GCSE's I need its just A levels. I did look into that and though it's be a good idea by my local College doesn't do it. It's the most useless pointless college I know of lol

ReputationRep:
    I have all the GCSE's I need its just A levels. I did look into that and though it's be a good idea by my local College doesn't do it. It's the most useless pointless college I know of lol
    Answer my question or nah?

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel exam board allows you to take A-Levels without coursework (you solve alternative to practical exam papers), do you know about that?

ReputationRep:
    High Stakes i did reply? I said i looked into it but nowhere local does is.

And Throwaway800 i didn't know that. That'd be really helpful and worth looking into, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    High Stakes i did reply? I said i looked into it but nowhere local does is.

And Throwaway800 i didn't know that. That'd be really helpful and worth looking into, thanks!
    I asked you what course you wanted to do at University? What degree?

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry I didn't see that one at the top.

Theres a few option i've been thinking about but cannot set my heart 100% on one. Just sick of sitting here wasting my life away and not working towards anything. The options i've considered are a join honours of zoology and marine biology, or something based around animal behaviour (similar to zoology), or quantum and astro physics. The first 2 options are asking for either an a level in biology or higher level biology in the IB but i have neither, and for my third option i've been thinking of asks the same but for physics not biology. I did physics at a standard level not higher so is useless.

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry I didn't see that one at the top.

Theres a few option i've been thinking about but cannot set my heart 100% on one. Just sick of sitting here wasting my life away and not working towards anything. The options i've considered are a join honours of zoology and marine biology, or something based around animal behaviour (similar to zoology), or quantum and astro physics. The first 2 options are asking for either an a level in biology or higher level biology in the IB but i have neither, and for my third option i've been thinking of asks the same but for physics not biology. I did physics at a standard level not higher so is useless.
    Take on Physics, Biology & Mathematics? Three strong, well-respected A levels. You can take them over the two years and apply for university in the second year. Those subjects will open a lot of doctors for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what i was thinking. They are involved in so many courses so woukd be good to do, Just struggling where/how to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get anywhere with this OP???

ReputationRep:
    Hi RyanJC63 not really. I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself to actually do it now and there isnt straight forward information on it. I know it is possible to get just get the syllabus and crack on, but I have looked on AQA and excedel sites and they make it so bloody diffucult to just find out how to go about sitting an exam without being a part of a college/school, coursework, and the actual practical exams. Its very confusing. Just the fact that finding information on it is making me not want to bloody bother. Who knew trying to get an educarion as an adult would be such a lain in the arse. Self study woukd be the cheapest method, but I'm starting to sway toward the simplicity of an online course. But a lot of people think they aren't worth the money either so not sure what to do or believe. I want to find a fairly cheap method that is also simple (not easy obviously, I'm happy to put the work in but I'm looking to just study, not do online blogs and whatnot like previously advised by another poster. I don't want to create unnecessary work for myself). Any advise welcome but I'm starting to get fed up to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for spelling errors. I'm typing on my pgone and its 1:30am lol

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.