The Student Room Group

Worried I'm going to be fired

Hi everyone,

Had a terrible day at work today and scared I'm going to be fired. I'm currently on an Industrial Placement at an International company and made a mistake which I'm really worried about.

During my first week, I ordered some new Folder Packs from an external company for £450. I was asked to order them, but what nobody told me during my training was that a Purchase Order has to be raised before ordering. The contracts have been delivered but now Finance/Purchase have kicked off and rejected to buy them.

I personally think it's ridiculous nobody trained me in this area and whilst I accept responsibility, I really don't think I should be fired and now I'm worried about going into work on Monday.

What do you recommend I do? What is likely to happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Relax, you won't be fired. If you were asked to order them, but weren't told that there was a specific process in place to do so, then I don't see how you can be blamed. Do you even have the financial authority to buy hundreds of pounds of goods for the company?

The person who is supervising you has probably got an earful from Finance/Purchase and won't be making the same mistake again. For your part, take away the idea to ask if there's a company-specific process to follow if you're given a task or instruction which you've not been trained to do.

£450 is a drop in the ocean to an international company and it's not as if the goods are going to waste. Try and relax and enjoy your weekend :-)
Reply 2
Oooh **** you've just placed through an order for £450 for items which were required but didn't quite carry out proper purchasing protocol you weren't informed of? £450 not immediately approved by the purchasing arm of this international corporation but will be now they're aware? £450?! Damn this international is going to go under, anyone with shares pull out now tbh.

....you'll be okay OP, don't worry about it.
Reply 3
Haha, thanks guys! Made me realise how petty it is - I've learnt from my mistake which is the important part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kg00105
Hi everyone,

Had a terrible day at work today and scared I'm going to be fired. I'm currently on an Industrial Placement at an International company and made a mistake which I'm really worried about.

During my first week, I ordered some new Folder Packs from an external company for £450. I was asked to order them, but what nobody told me during my training was that a Purchase Order has to be raised before ordering. The contracts have been delivered but now Finance/Purchase have kicked off and rejected to buy them.

I personally think it's ridiculous nobody trained me in this area and whilst I accept responsibility, I really don't think I should be fired and now I'm worried about going into work on Monday.

What do you recommend I do? What is likely to happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First dont let it ruin your weekend!

Yes you could of said, but I am not trained to do that. But as you said you are on a work placment, They should expect you to get it right stright away remember to qoute the person who told you to do it. Come Monday dont go in there expecting to be fired go in there and acknowledge your mistake and then ask them, how can i fix my mistake.

Hope it all works out in the end Jon
I don't think there's a single person in full time work who hasn't messed something up at least once.

Given that you were asked to order them and weren't told how to go about ordering them, it's not really your fault. I'd suggest speaking to the person who asked you to order them, and asking them to speak to finance about it.

It's worth noting that it's very unusual for a company to deliver before you've sent a PO. I regularly order things at work, and normally they won't lift a finger before you've sent one!

Quick Reply

Latest