Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I got my AS results back this summer and I received a U in maths, a D in Business and a B in Drama. I'm retaking both Maths and Business hoping to get A's or B's. Is that even achievable?? My school is providing me little help, I have extra lessons but it's very much me sitting at a desk getting told to look at the answers instead of being taught, really need some advice and help!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, first of all, you need to make sure you understand the material you're being taught. If you don't get it, you won't be able to answer questions on it. Go through your notes etc. and if there's something you don't understand, ask someone to explain it to you, or find a YouTube video on it. There are plenty of great YouTubers that have saved my grades! Make sure you get yourself some good text books and read through them - don't just rely on your teacher to tell you everything.

Once you're on your way to understanding, get a revision technique that works for you. I can't stress enough to value of past papers, so do them, and do them again until you're getting the grade you want - OR HIGHER! Other things you can use to revise would be posters, making up games, flashcards, etc. etc. Through past papers and going over topics I didn't understand, I managed to pull my Chemistry up from a U to an A in a month or so (although unfortunately panicked and got a B in the exam). Starting as soon as you have is a big advantage, so if you can stay motivated you'll make it for sure

Don't burn yourself out, and remember to take breaks. But it is definitely achievable. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Char_54)
    So I got my AS results back this summer and I received a U in maths, a D in Business and a B in Drama. I'm retaking both Maths and Business hoping to get A's or B's. Is that even achievable?? My school is providing me little help, I have extra lessons but it's very much me sitting at a desk getting told to look at the answers instead of being taught, really need some advice and help!
    For Maths, it's all down to practice. You will not understand anything if you don't practice. I recommend going to ExamSolutions and using YouTube occasionally when revising for Maths, as they have a lot of useful tutorials.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Char_54)
    I do maths OCR, and to do well in this you need to practise, You have a textbook I assume? Work on all the questions in that book. And repeatedly do questions in each topic. If you can do that you will get an A.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for all the advice! Definitely won't give up!

ReputationRep:
    I got BCCC at AS level and came out with AAAB, and my B was 2 ums off. You can definietly do it if you resit exams during y13 and work alot harder (ie specify time for work and time for chill).

A girl a couple of years older than me got CEEU and resat all her AS exams at A2 and got like A*A*A and a boy in the year above me had like CCDE and resat and got 3A*s so its defintly possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonnyjimisgod)
    I got BCCC at AS level and came out with AAAB, and my B was 2 ums off. You can definietly do it if you resit exams during y13 and work alot harder (ie specify time for work and time for chill).

A girl a couple of years older than me got CEEU and resat all her AS exams at A2 and got like A*A*A and a boy in the year above me had like CCDE and resat and got 3A*s so its defintly possible!
    omg i got BBCC and I'm aiming for AAA

YOU ARE MY INSPIRATION :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    omg i got BBCC and I'm aiming for AAA

YOU ARE MY INSPIRATION :adore:
    aha yeh kneel before me crazy pink haired girl!

Haha you can defiently do it

ReputationRep:
    I got Us in Maths tests in the first few months of AS but I started doing lots of work at home and managed to get an A in AS and overall in A2. My main resource was examsolutions.net it's really really good

ReputationRep:

How did they do that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z212)
    How did they do that?!
    Hard Work!!! Our school is a state school and our teachers don't really push like grammars/privates so most people (including me) barely worked in AS year and literally started revising the week before. Then at A2 I think we all got into a routine (I worked 90 min. before going to school everyday and resat 9 exams as taking all 4 to A2) to do our best.

Also make notes on absolutely everything detailed and as fast as you can so you have the maximum amount of time for past papers!

I believe though if you dedicate like 3-4 hours of work at A2 everyday it should definitely be possible, just make the most out of your time (switch of your phone and block websites such as TSR/Youtube etc). I still managed to have a weekend job and worked on Wednesday afternoon and thursday night and still found I wasted time.

Anyway hope that helps and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hard Work!!! Our school is a state school and our teachers don't really push like grammars/privates so most people (including me) barely worked in AS year and literally started revising the week before. Then at A2 I think we all got into a routine (I worked 90 min. before going to school everyday and resat 9 exams as taking all 4 to A2) to do our best.

Also make notes on absolutely everything detailed and as fast as you can so you have the maximum amount of time for past papers!

I believe though if you dedicate like 3-4 hours of work at A2 everyday it should definitely be possible, just make the most out of your time (switch of your phone and block websites such as TSR/Youtube etc). I still managed to have a weekend job and worked on Wednesday afternoon and thursday night and still found I wasted time.

Anyway hope that helps and good luck
    Thanks! But, closer to exams did you block your friends out and only study?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.