Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is my first post on this website, though I've been aware of it for quite a while. So here goes.
    I didn't put enough effort in at GCSE, and my results demonstrate that
    A* English Literature
    A* English Language
    A* History (96% UMS)
    A Geography
    A RE
    B Maths
    B Drama
    B Chemistry
    B Biology
    B Physics
    B Art

Will they hinder my chances regarding Oxford and Cambridge. I've always had a flair in writing and a profound love for literature, if I manage 3 A*'s at A2 will I have a decent chance at an English Literature course? To further demonstrate my love for the subject I shall be doing the following; creating a book review blog, writing an EPQ, heading the debating society at school and volunteering at Crisis at Christmas, helping homeless people. My AS subjects are; English Literature, History, Government & Politics and Economics, all of which I am receiving A's at in progress checks. I have started really putting effort in and am at the top of the class in every subject and I am member of our school's Oxbridge group. I should mention that I go to a state school, soon to become an academy. If I keep up the hard work and get four A's at AS and three A*'s at A2 in English, History and Gvt and Politics, what will my chances be like? I am incredibly passionate about my subject, I live for books and the exploration of contemporary and classic literature. Sorry in advance for any bad grammar, I'm in rather a rush.Thanks.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by StephenFryfan)
    This is my first post on this website, though I've been aware of it for quite a while. .... Will they hinder my chances regarding Oxford and Cambridge. I've always had a flair in writing and a profound love for literature, if I manage 3 A*'s at A2 will I have a decent chance at an English Literature course? ... If I keep up the hard work and get four A's at AS and three A*'s at A2 in English, History and Gvt and Politics, what will my chances be like? I am incredibly passionate about my subject, I live for books and the exploration of contemporary and classic literature. Sorry in advance for any bad grammar, I'm in rather a rush.Thanks.
    For Cambridge, yes. Although note you apply before you get your A-level results - but yes - if you are on target for A*AA or better you have a decent chance. Especially if your ASs have strong (>85) UMS. Cambridge is not so concerned about GCSEs (or non-subject related extracurriculars for that matter). You are likely to get an interview, and then who knows...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.