Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I don't understand..... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First a little background info.
    I finished my GCSEs this year and have just finished my first half term for A-Levels. I decided to get a job a month ago, I have applied to a few places:
    -Morrisons.
    -heart foundation.
    -Specsavers.
    -Boots.
    -Primark.

All of which I have been rejected from. This surprised me considering I first believed I would be the perfect 16 year old applicant:
    1. I go to a prestigious Grammar School.
    2. I achieved 9 A/A* grades with 3 Bs.
    3. I took an extra GCSE and got a headmasters award for it, highest recognition.
    4. I have 2 work experience, one in 2013 for a small limited company and the other a massive whole sale company, both involved speaking to customers I explicitly said this.
    5. I am intelligent, I take extra computing classes outside of school and do large amounts of reading.

I simply cannot see why these companies would not employ me for a basic checkout assistant job? I applied at boots photography department, I have an A* in photography and have massive knowledge, I get denied, my friend who has no experience in photography what so ever applied for the same job and got it?

I got rejected by the BHF today, implying that I am some how too unintelligent to serve at a checkout but they will accept me as a volunteer? What a p-take.

Same with Morrisons... I bet all the people there have doctorates and every A* grade at GCSE.

What I've concluded is you either have to have a degree/masters/PHD. Or you have to have bottom grades with no intelligence so you won't question their authority, they don't want intelligent people they want you to conform and accept the bare minimum they give you, what a joke.

Should I just say that I got all C/D grades on my academic report in the application because it certainly worked for half the people in my class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finn61)
    I finished my GCSEs this year and have just finished my first half term for A-Levels. I decided to get a job a month ago, I have applied to a few places:
    -Morrisons.
    -heart foundation.
    -Specsavers.
    -Boots.
    -Primark.

All of which I have been rejected from. This surprised me considering I first believed I would be the perfect 16 year old applicant:
    3. I took an extra GCSE and got a headmasters award for it, highest recognition.
    4. I have 2 work experience, one in 2013 for a small limited company and the other a massive whole sale company, both involved speaking to customers I explicitly said this.
    5. I am intelligent, I take extra computing classes outside of school and do large amounts of reading.

I simply cannot see why these companies would not employ me for a basic checkout assistant job? I applied at boots photography department, I have an A* in photography and have massive knowledge, I get denied, my friend who has no experience in photography what so ever applied for the same job and got it?

I got rejected by the BHF today, implying that I am some how too unintelligent to serve at a checkout but they will accept me as a volunteer? What a p-take.

Same with Morrisons... I bet all the people there have doctorates and every A* grade at GCSE.

What I've concluded is you either have to have a degree/masters/PHD. Or you have to have bottom grades with no intelligence so you won't question their authority, they don't want intelligent people they want you to conform and accept the bare minimum they give you, what a joke.

Should I just say that I got all C/D grades on my academic report in the application because it certainly worked for half the people in my class.
    For these of jobs grades aren't a factor. No one cares you won a headmasters award or whatever.

Things that affect whether you get an interview are
    - How close you live to the store (This is a MAJOR factor)
    - Whether you're over 16 or over 18.
    - Whether your availability suits them.
    - If they liked your answers to "why us" questions on app forms.

And more trivial things like whether they had someone lined up by the time you applied, the mood of whoever was reviewing your application.

ReputationRep:
    i would say it is more to do with your availability. if you are trying to get a job while doing A levels i think employers will know you aren't going to have much spare time and will employ someone who can commit to the amount of hours the job requires and can be flexible.

i also wouldn't get to annoyed if you have only applied to the places listed because it is harder to get a job then it used to be so being rejected by those few doesn't mean you will never be able to get a job.

-Morrisons.
    -heart foundation.
    -Specsavers.
    -Boots.
    -Primark.

As others have said, your grades don't matter for what is basically an unskilled job. As long as you have Cs in English and maths and can communicate verbally, they don't much care what else you've done. You also sound quite entitled, as if the fact that you go to a prestigious grammar school should matter to them; it doesn't. The prestige of any institutions you've attended only becomes a factor after you've graduated from university, not before.

You seem to think your intelligence has something to do with it. It really doesn't. People with lesser grades than yours get these jobs because they have things that matter, usually previous experience, which might have been more significant than yours, or it might just be that they didn't like your tone. If you're as entitled and condescending about other people as you sound here, I certainly wouldn't hire you.

ReputationRep:
    It's not about your qualifications I'm afraid.
    Its about how long they can employ you for - if you're going to leave after a year and a few months to go to university, you are less likely to get the job.
    Compare yourself with someone who has lesser prospects - after getting the job, they are probably more likely to stay in it for several years.

ReputationRep:
    Well we can assume all 16 year olds are in some form of education as you have to be, I have made it clear I am free all weekend and Friday after school. I seriously doubt most of the 16 year olds have more previous jobs than me, I even have a recomendation from a multi millionaire who personaly spoke to me on behalf of my performance.

As for intelligence it even says on the application we want someone who can think fast under pressure and is good at dealing with customers, which I am.

I think they feel sorry for the that of inferior intellect, I sympathise with them becaus that's the only conclusion I can arrive at, there is nothing wrong with me, I guess I will have to hold out until I hopefully get a proper job such as a lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I live next to the CBD so everyone of those jobs is a 5 minute walk.

ReputationRep:
    I think they feel sorry for the that of inferior intellect, I sympathise with them becaus that's the only conclusion I can arrive at, there is nothing wrong with me, I guess I will have to hold out until I hopefully get a proper job such as a lawyer.
    I will be brutally honest here. This is probably why you are being rejected. You are coming across as though this is all beneath you and as if you are entitled to this job purely because you think you are the perfect worker based on academics. The fact is that your academic prowess means nothing when applying for this job as it is unskilled work and more reliant on people skills, which you have not honestly demonstrated to us that you have. And if you have not demonstrated it to the employers either, this is ample grounds for immediate rejection by them.

Well we can assume all 16 year olds are in some form of education as you have to be, I have made it clear I am free all weekend and Friday after school. I seriously doubt most of the 16 year olds have more previous jobs than me, I even have a recomendation from a multi millionaire who personaly spoke to me on behalf of my performance.

As for intelligence it even says on the application we want someone who can think fast under pressure and is good at dealing with customers, which I am.

Nothing wrong with you except extreme arrogance, a trait that employers don't like, regardless of the skills required for the job. If they have a pool of applicants for an unskilled job, they'll take the one who isn't up his own arse in addition to having experience, living ten minutes away and being reasonably good with people.

As for 'thinking fast under pressure' -- that's just the kind of nonsense jargon you get in the job market, where everybody has a ludicrously fancy job title. There's hardly any situation where you'll need to think fast under pressure at a checkout job.

ReputationRep:
    Well we can assume all 16 year olds are in some form of education as you have to beI have made it clear I am free all weekend and Friday after school. I seriously doubt most of the 16 year olds have more previous jobs than me, I even have a recomendation from a multi millionaire who personaly spoke to me on behalf of my performance.

you are allowed to leave education after you finish GCSEs so no you don't have to be in education when you are 16.

being free all weekend and after school on friday (which some would count as the weekend but fair enough) still may not be flexible enough for some people.

some people have part time jobs from as young as 13 so it is possible for 16 year olds to have more experience

i think the word you are looking for is those not that as that of inferior intellect doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    You sound condescending and arrogant, if you wrote/spoke like that in your application it isn't surprising they rejected you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    You sound condescending and arrogant, if you wrote/spoke like that in your application it isn't surprising they rejected you.

Implying I care what you think of me?

No I have said nothing of the sort in my application, as for people skills I don't like people or being around them but there is no way this could have shown in my CV, you can even read it if you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    you are allowed to leave education after you finish GCSEs so no you don't have to be in education when you are 16.

being free all weekend and after school on friday (which some would count as the weekend but fair enough) still may not be flexible enough for some people.

some people have part time jobs from as young as 13 so it is possible for 16 year olds to have more experience

i think the word you are looking for is those not that as that of inferior intellect doesn't make sense.
    Well someone missed the major law change saying you need to be in education until you're 18...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Well someone missed the major law change saying you need to be in education until you're 18...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly, you have to be 18 to leave education so everyone that has a job under 18 is still at school so why should I be discriminated against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    from skills.org.uk. In 2008, a new law was passed that makes important changes for all young people in England. The new law is called the Education and Skills Act 2008. It says that by 2013, all young people in England have to stay on in education or training at least part-time until they are 17 years old. By 2015, all young people will have to stay on in education or training at least part-time, until they are 18 years old.

This means that young people are required to participate in education or training through either:

full-time education or training, including school, college and home education;
    work-based learning, such as an Apprenticeship, or
    part-time education or training or volunteering more than 20 hours a week.

doesn't sound like you need to be in education at 16 to me. also i notice you couldn't find fault with anything else i said so well done there

ReputationRep:

Now we know why they won't hire you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)
    Now we know why they won't hire you.

Yes so do I, that's why I said I will wait until after uni so I can get a job that actually requires half a brain.

ReputationRep:
    Yes so do I, that's why I said I will wait until after uni so I can get a job that actually requires half a brain.
    When you'll get to uni you'll find all your self importance crushed. You say you go to a grammar school; well, you'll find a lot of people from 40k a year boarding schools who have a lot of contacts and get jobs out of a casual conversation while at the Royal Enclosure at Ascot.

You'll find people who are much cleverer than you, and then many people with worse grades who get much better jobs simply because of daddy's influence and contacts.

And while these people will never accept you, I think more "normal" people won't like you either, as you act as if you're above everyone else, and this WILL show in a job interview. Which might fly with some if you were the heir to a Dukedom or something, but obviously that's not the case.

You might not know this yet as you've never gone through an interview process for jobs "that require half a brain", but they don't care about your academics either. There are tons of people with a law degree or whatever from top unis, who have top notch work experience and speak perfect French and play polo for Sussex and also have contacts. All those things are necessary to get your foot in the door, but they will never get you a job. Ever heard of fit interviews? You'll have 6 or 8 before you get hired at any one company, and what they boil down to is whether they like you. And you have some very serious character flaws.

Be prepared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)
    When you'll get to uni you'll find all your self importance crushed. You say you go to a grammar school; well, you'll find a lot of people from 40k a year boarding schools who have a lot of contacts and get jobs out of a casual conversation while at the Royal Enclosure at Ascot.

You'll find people who are much cleverer than you, and then many people with worse grades who get much better jobs simply because of daddy's influence and contacts.

And while these people will never accept you, I think more "normal" people won't like you either, as you act as if you're above everyone else, and this WILL show in a job interview. Which might fly with some if you were the heir to a Dukedom or something, but obviously that's not the case.

You might not know this yet as you've never gone through an interview process for jobs "that require half a brain", but they don't care about your academics either. There are tons of people with a law degree or whatever from top unis, who have top notch work experience and speak perfect French and play polo for Sussex and also have contacts. All those things are necessary to get your foot in the door, but they will never get you a job. Ever heard of fit interviews? You'll have 6 or 8 before you get hired at any one company, and what they boil down to is whether they like you. And you have some very serious character flaws.

Be prepared.
    What about jobs such as the boots photography department? Surely having an A* in photography should advantage me over others. Same with checkout jobs, I got 100% in all speaking assessment.

ReputationRep:
    What about jobs such as the boots photography department? Surely having an A* in photography should advantage me over others. Same with checkout jobs, I got 100% in all speaking assessment.
    It wouldn't necessarily advantage you (those skills are irrelevant for the job), but it might give you interview material to explain why you want to work for them. A good interview will always be your best way of getting a job, rather than who you are "on paper".

If you want some constructive advice (and many people learn this the hard way -- after they graduate from uni and can't get jobs), once your academics are known then you've made the cut, so at interview it's best to emphasise experience and soft skills and not being a **** more generally.

Hope that helps

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.