Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Voting: is it a right or a privilege? watch

• View Poll Results: In your opinion, is voting a right or a privilege?
    Voting is a right that everyone should have in all circumstances
    64.00%
    Voting is a privilege, and can/should be taken away in certain circumstances
    36.00%

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, how is voting best characterised? Is it a right? A privilege? Perhaps even both?

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Voting, as a vehicle for self-determination is a fundamental and absolute human right as far as I am concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Privilege.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    In your opinion, how is voting best characterised? Is it a right? A privilege? Perhaps even both?

Discuss.
    It's a right until someone decides a group of people should be denied the ability to vote. Then it becomes a privilege.

ReputationRep:
    Both!

Voting should be a right, but it still only a privilege for most people.

ReputationRep:
    A right, but most rights are qualified so it is not necessarily a universal one.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone should have the right to vote.

ReputationRep:
    Has voting in the UK ever had a majorly significant positive effect in the last 10 years? I provide spoiled ballots. I consider it a right. Whether it's a useful right is up for debate.

ReputationRep:
    It's a right because if you consider the 3/5 vote. Black people weren't considered human and therefore their votes didn't count. How obscene. It also is made difficult for certain people to vote so their numbers won't influence politics, to keep systematically hindering people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Lotus)
    Has voting in the UK ever had a majorly significant positive effect in the last 10 years? I provide spoiled ballots. I consider it a right. Whether it's a useful right is up for debate.
    Whatever. It might not be "useful" when you consider corruption and things, but everyone should be able to do it because of the horrors behind when people weren't allowed to, or when their ballots were manipulated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rat poison)
    Whatever. It might not be "useful" when you consider corruption and things, but everyone should be able to do it because of the horrors behind when people weren't allowed to, or when their ballots were manipulated.
    What is the need to write 'whatever' as if you are disregarding what I'm saying? I clearly said it is a right.

ReputationRep:
    What is the need to write 'whatever' as if you are disregarding what I'm saying? I clearly said it is a right.
    You said it's useless, which basically means you're minimizing the importance of voting???

ReputationRep:
    Neither...

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    You said it's useless, which basically means you're minimizing the importance of voting???
    Where did I say it was useless?

ReputationRep:
    Where did I say it was useless?
    I knew you would point that out because I know you're that type of person to play semantics.

You implied it's useless saying "whether it's useful is up for debate." Same thing, you're just beating around the bush so I ascribed that you just simply said it.

Please pack up and go.

ReputationRep:
    I knew you would point that out because I know you're that type of person to play semantics.

You implied it's useless saying "whether it's useful is up for debate." Same thing, you're just beating around the bush so I ascribed that you just simply said it.

Please pack up and go.
    Are you retarded? You apparently knew I would point it out, yet you still decided to carry on with the false post? It's not semantics, you don't make things up about a post and then claim 'semantics'. I didn't imply it, you inferred it. I said whether it is useful is up for debate.

ReputationRep:
    . I said whether it is useful is up for debate.
    You're beating around the bush that you think it's useless. :rolleyes: I didn't infer a thing.
    Now that's your opinion--cool, safe--but don't lie, child.

ReputationRep:
    You're beating around the bush that you think it's useless. :rolleyes: I didn't infer a thing.
    Now that's your opinion--cool, safe--but don't lie, child.
    Why are you being so rude? Bit of a keyboard warrior aren't you. I don't think it's useless. I think it's actually worse than useless.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you being so rude? Bit of a keyboard warrior aren't you. I don't think it's useless. I think it's actually worse than useless.
    ...How long are we gonna do this then? I already said that's your opinion and you called me retarded for pointing something out in your post? Then ask why I'm being rude. You are priceless, sir.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.