Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The tangent at point P on the curve y= (3x-5)(x+2) is parallel to the line y = 7x+1. Find the co-ordinates of point P.

I've differentiated the first equation to get 6x+1 and made this equal to 7, then solved to find x, which is 1. Now what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomc)
    The tangent at point P on the curve y= (3x-5)(x+2) is parallel to the line y = 7x+1. Find the co-ordinates of point P.

I've differentiated the first equation to get 6x+1 and made this equal to 7, then solved to find x, which is 1. Now what?
    assuming your working are correct put x=1 into the equation of the curve to get the corresponding y coodinate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomc)

So you have x=1, what value does your curve take when you sub x=1 into it?

Your final answer will be P(1, \, \mathrm{ something }\, )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    assuming your working are correct put x=1 into the equation of the curve to get the corresponding y coodinate
    Beaten again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomc)

The gradient of the tangent to the curve at point P is equal to the gradient of the line y = 7x + 1.

You need to put the differential of the first equation equal to the gradient of the line and solve for x.
    Does it make sense why you would do that?
    Never mind, I can't read, apparently. Ignore me! :P

ReputationRep:
    but when i plot the two graphs they dont cross at (1,-6)?? no where near

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Beaten again.
    is all this LaTeX typing ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomc)
    but when i plot the two graphs they dont cross at (1,-6)?? no where near
    Because the line y = 7x + 1 is parallel to the tangent at P, it's not the actual tangent and hence will not cross the line.

The tangent to the curve at P is given by y + 6 = 7(x-1) \iff y = 7x - 13 \neq 7x+1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Because the line y = 7x + 1 is parallel to the tangent at P, it's not the actual tangent and hence will not cross the line.

The tangent to the curve at P is given by y + 6 = 7(x-1) \iff y = 7x - 13 \neq 7x+1.
    god how did i miss that im so tired lol thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomc)
    god how did i miss that im so tired lol thanks though
    Welcome, happens to the best of us!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 23, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.