Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Genuine answers please! What's the Rugby like at these universities? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right so I've been offered places at Manchester, KCL and Loughborough and would genuinely like to know what the standards of rugby at each university are like. I've heard that Loughborough is amazing at rugby but know less about KCL and Manchester.

I've been playing for 11 years at an amateur club but am interested* in upping the level of play. I've been slightly worried that studying in London will restrict my ability to play rugby but this is my first choice so i'm in abit of a pickle.

Please help! xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukewheelo)
    Right so I've been offered places at Manchester, KCL and Loughborough and would genuinely like to know what the standards of rugby at each university are like. I've heard that Loughborough is amazing at rugby but know less about KCL and Manchester.

I've been playing for 11 years at an amateur club but am interested* in upping the level of play. I've been slightly worried that studying in London will restrict my ability to play rugby but this is my first choice so i'm in abit of a pickle.

Please help! xD
    BUCS is the main inter-uni sports league. If you have a look at their rankings, you'll get an idea of how good each uni is relative to each other.

Loughborough does have an excellent reputation for extra curricular sport. I'd suspect that you'd have to travel to rugby pitches at KCL, though you'd have to look into that in more detail. Manchester has, from memory, one rugby pitch next to their Fallowfield halls (at the Armitage Centre) but more down at Wythenshawe, which is a bus ride away.

Of course, I would recommend that rugby should only be one factor in your decision - make sure that you choose a course that interests you, and decide whether you would like a large uni in the middle of a large city (KCL / Manchester) or a smaller uni on a campus on the edge of a small town (Loughborough). If you haven't already, I'd strongly advise visiting unis before making your final decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I go to none of these universities I go to a different one, but I can give you an insight as to my opinions of playing rugby at university, and from what others have told me.... for me the level is the highest level you can easily play at... they have amazing coaches too (generally), I have an English Womens world cup winner coaching me and their insight is amazing and they have improved me quicker than I could have imagined..... From what ive heard and at my uni it is a brotherhood, everyone is there for each other, I could speak to any person there if I needed help, both in life and with rugby, and for me to trust people like that after just 4 weeks is rare, unbelievably rare... as I say, this is a review from a different university but I think/hope it sums up all uni rugby teams

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure if you can get into the first team for a majority of major sports at Loughbrough, you are virtually playing at national level. That's the standard Loughbrough sport is at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    BUCS is the main inter-uni sports league. If you have a look at their rankings, you'll get an idea of how good each uni is relative to each other.

Loughborough does have an excellent reputation for extra curricular sport. I'd suspect that you'd have to travel to rugby pitches at KCL, though you'd have to look into that in more detail. Manchester has, from memory, one rugby pitch next to their Fallowfield halls (at the Armitage Centre) but more down at Wythenshawe, which is a bus ride away.

Of course, I would recommend that rugby should only be one factor in your decision - make sure that you choose a course that interests you, and decide whether you would like a large uni in the middle of a large city (KCL / Manchester) or a smaller uni on a campus on the edge of a small town (Loughborough). If you haven't already, I'd strongly advise visiting unis before making your final decisions.

Ah, thanks for informing me about Manchester. I have visited Manchester and KCL but not loughborough and unfortunately at both of them I forgot to Inquire about rugby. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't not go to a university because it has a mediocre rugby team, I just wanted someones honest opinion of what rugby was like at either university because i've looked into the BUCS league, just wanted to get a realistic idea of the skill level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukewheelo)
    Ah, thanks for informing me about Manchester. I have visited Manchester and KCL but not loughborough and unfortunately at both of them I forgot to Inquire about rugby. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't not go to a university because it has a mediocre rugby team, I just wanted someones honest opinion of what rugby was like at either university because i've looked into the BUCS league, just wanted to get a realistic idea of the skill level.
    I'm afraid I can't help you any further - I don't think I've ever picked up a rugby ball, so I know nothing about the sport itself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering the same! Am looking to do rugby at uni, heard the iniations are pretty grime though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    I was wondering the same! Am looking to do rugby at uni, heard the iniations are pretty grime though
    Hhm, If some Oxford societies require you to get head from a pig then God knows what the rugby initiations are like :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    I am at Bucks New university, and the initiations here are bad, but they are what you make them, I didn't take part I chose not to as im tee-total, and they are completely out of choice, you aren't going to lose your place in the team just because you didn't do them....

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.