Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering how most students fund their social life/travel back home. Is it a bad idea to get a job whilst studying a uni course?
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Smashby25)
    I was just wondering how most students fund their social life/travel back home. Is it a bad idea to get a job whilst studying a uni course?
    Pretty much the majority of my friends did. I had two a certain times of the year. I did quit them all in my final term of my 4th year, to focus on my dissertation.

Also those who didn't work term times, would work full time during summer so earn as much money as they could to keep them going during the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Pretty much the majority of my friends did. I had two a certain times of the year. I did quit them all in my final term of my 4th year, to focus on my dissertation.

Also those who didn't work term times, would work full time during summer so earn as much money as they could to keep them going during the year.
    Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Smashby25)
    I wouldn't say it was a bad idea, you just have to make sure your degree is your priority.
    Quite often Universities have campus jobs, like at Reading. These are more flexible jobs so you do it around your study. For example I work as a student ambassador, so I work open days, give campus tours and help when school visits come in. I really enjoy it because I get to give presentations and talk to lots of different people. But what is ideal about this job is that it is only really during term time we are expected to work and if a lecture gets rescheduled so you can't work, the full time staff understand and don't mind as long as you let them know as soon as possible.
    As it is flexible it means I can go home during the holidays and don't have to worry about Christmas working, which shops in town do. Reading also have bar jobs and jobs in the cafes and campus shop, which are only term time.

You can always give a job a go, and if it becomes to much then you can leave. Hope this has helped and feel free to ask me any other questions

Emma
    2nd Year Human and Physical Geographer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReading)
    I wouldn't say it was a bad idea, you just have to make sure your degree is your priority.
    Quite often Universities have campus jobs, like at Reading. These are more flexible jobs so you do it around your study. For example I work as a student ambassador, so I work open days, give campus tours and help when school visits come in. I really enjoy it because I get to give presentations and talk to lots of different people. But what is ideal about this job is that it is only really during term time we are expected to work and if a lecture gets rescheduled so you can't work, the full time staff understand and don't mind as long as you let them know as soon as possible.
    As it is flexible it means I can go home during the holidays and don't have to worry about Christmas working, which shops in town do. Reading also have bar jobs and jobs in the cafes and campus shop, which are only term time.

You can always give a job a go, and if it becomes to much then you can leave. Hope this has helped and feel free to ask me any other questions

Emma
    2nd Year Human and Physical Geographer
    Thanks, Emma

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.