Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    My son is senior in IB and has very competitive application. He is applying mainly to American Universities but somehow has set his heart on Natural Science course at Cambridge. Now I can't see any scenario how he can go to Cambridge. Even if he gets offer from Cambridge then he will only know whether he is going to Cambridge next Aug or Sep when IB results come out and before that most American Universities would have gotten a commitment from him about where he wants to go.
    So there are only one way in which he goes to Cambridge, he gets offer from Cambridge and is rejected by every other place where he is applying. Hopefully that does not happen, he is applying to safeties too but he can't be so unique.I am wondering how do American Student finally end up at Cambridge. I am sorry if this question has been answered but I could not find an answer on Internet.
    • Section Leader
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by rodch)
    My son is senior in IB and has very competitive application. He is applying mainly to American Universities but somehow has set his heart on Natural Science course at Cambridge. Now I can't see any scenario how he can go to Cambridge. Even if he gets offer from Cambridge then he will only know whether he is going to Cambridge next Aug or Sep when IB results come out and before that most American Universities would have gotten a commitment from him about where he wants to go.
    So there are only one way in which he goes to Cambridge, he gets offer from Cambridge and is rejected by every other place where he is applying. Hopefully that does not happen, he is applying to safeties too but he can't be so unique.I am wondering how do American Student finally end up at Cambridge. I am sorry if this question has been answered but I could not find an answer on Internet.
    He's too late to apply for the current admissions cycle anyway (for entry Oct 2016).

    Normally he would have applied by 15 Oct, been interviewed in Dec 2015, and (if approved) received an Offer in January 2016.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    He's too late to apply for the current admissions cycle anyway (for entry Oct 2016).

    Normally he would have applied by 15 Oct, been interviewed in Dec 2015, and (if approved) received an Offer in January 2016.
    He has already applied, now he is spending time preparing for interview and maybe another test like TSA. This takes time away from what he can use in writing essays for American universities.
    My question was related to scenario where an American kid will take admission to Cambridge over any other university. I can't conceive of any scenario other then one I mentioned above that kid fails to get admission anywhere in USA and is forced to accept Cambridge otherwise Cambridge is not a viable option.
    Offline

    18
    (Original post by rodch)
    He has already applied, now he is spending time preparing for interview and maybe another test like TSA. This takes time away from what he can use in writing essays for American universities.
    My question was related to scenario where an American kid will take admission to Cambridge over any other university. I can't conceive of any scenario other then one I mentioned above that kid fails to get admission anywhere in USA and is forced to accept Cambridge otherwise Cambridge is not a viable option.
    I don't see the issue. If he accepts an offer from Cambridge, he is committed to going there provided he gets the grades. He's going to have to make up his mind when he receives his offers about where he wants to go; he can't have this 'keeping all options open' all the way until the start of the academic year. If his heart is that set on Cambridge and he gets an offer, he should accept that and work hard to meet his offer. If he misses the offer, he can always reapply to the American universities.
    • Section Leader
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I don't see the issue. If he accepts an offer from Cambridge, he is committed to going there provided he gets the grades. He's going to have to make up his mind when he receives his offers about where he wants to go; he can't have this 'keeping all options open' all the way until the start of the academic year. If his heart is that set on Cambridge and he gets an offer, he should accept that and work hard to meet his offer. If he misses the offer, he can always reapply to the American universities.
    ^this

    And OP that's probably one of the reasons why there are not so many US students at Cambridge. Only the one's who are really passionate about it.

    Also have you checked the full costs, including College Fees, etc.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Can't he commit to both and choose the one he likes after the results come out? A friend in Pakistan got an offer from Princeton and Cambridge both. He was adamant at going to Princeton but once the results came out and he fulfilled the conditions, he switched to Cambridge.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    I think the point is that he won't have an insurance choice, as this option doesn't exist for the US institutions. It's not really 'keeping your options open' so much as having a backup, much as any student applying solely for UK institutions would have. People miss their offers all the time, and taking an extra year to try again for offers that you previously held seems rather harsh.

    OP, you should probably wait until he receives his offers. In the event that he has to make this decision, I would call the US universities and call UCAS directly. Having spoken with some US admissions offices myself, they do seem to be reasonably accommodating towards international issues.

    I would also be interested to hear if there is anybody on here who has gone through the process, though. It seems like it should be a fairly common situation.

    ETA: Though, since the Common Application and UCAS are totally separate systems, I'd be willing to bet that you could accept both and nobody would know :dontknow:
    • Section Leader
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by rodch)
    Even if he gets offer from Cambridge then he will only know whether he is going to Cambridge next Aug or Sep when IB results come out
    IB results are 15 July


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    jneill you are right IB results will come out around 5th Jul and not in Aug.

    Cassette: you are right, my son should accept offer from US university by May 1 and deposit the required amount. I don't want him to loose the whole year and wait to apply again. I did more research and found the amounts could be from around $250-500 for some of the university to full year fees for UPenn. So many people are doing fake deposit it is now regarded as 'dirty' practice. Check out the link.

    But in this case we are forced to do that and I am hoping the hear from other students who had faced this situation.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    My daughter got into almost every school she applied to. Cam was her first choice, but we put down a deposit on an Ivy, about $250 (in May, non-refundable) if I recall. Once she met her conditions (beginning July for bac results in France), she was set: the US uni would have cost about $60K the first year (in addition to a scholarship), while Cam would cost just 50% more than that FOR THE ENTIRE DEGREE. Add to that the absolutely first rate, individualized attention that she gets at Cam and we are glad she chose to go there.
    • Section Leader
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    My daughter got into almost every school she applied to. Cam was her first choice, but we put down a deposit on an Ivy, about $250 (in May, non-refundable) if I recall. Once she met her conditions (beginning July for bac results in France), she was set: the US uni would have cost about $60K the first year (in addition to a scholarship), while Cam would cost just 50% more than that FOR THE ENTIRE DEGREE. Add to that the absolutely first rate, individualized attention that she gets at Cam and we are glad she chose to go there.
    EU students don't pay the full College Fees. Adds another £6-7k or so pa.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    My daughter got into almost every school she applied to. Cam was her first choice, but we put down a deposit on an Ivy, about $250 (in May, non-refundable) if I recall. Once she met her conditions (beginning July for bac results in France), she was set: the US uni would have cost about $60K the first year (in addition to a scholarship), while Cam would cost just 50% more than that FOR THE ENTIRE DEGREE. Add to that the absolutely first rate, individualized attention that she gets at Cam and we are glad she chose to go there.
    Cost for going to uni on US can be different from student to student. I know a few British students who went to/are at Ivy League whose costs (fees, etc) are entirely covered by scholarship they got from their uni. The only thing they had/have to pay themselves were air fares to/from UK/USA.
    It's not very easy for international students to get scholarship for undergraduate course in uk.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    ^this

    And OP that's probably one of the reasons why there are not so many US students at Cambridge. Only the one's who are really passionate about it.

    Also have you checked the full costs, including College Fees, etc.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably not a major reason. It's much more because 1) not so much incentive as there're many as prestigious unis as Oxbridge/top RG in USA, 2) American system of high school education is not quite suited for Oxbridge application, 3) cost.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Cost for going to uni on US can be different from student to student. I know a few British students who went to/are at Ivy League whose costs (fees, etc) are entirely covered by scholarship they got from their uni. The only thing they had/have to pay themselves were air fares to/from UK/USA.
    It's not very easy for international students to get scholarship for undergraduate course in uk.
    Yes, in the US there are many factors that intervene in price offerings. I did not mean to imply that our offer was the same as everyone else's, but it is pretty typical. We had EU residence and multiple citizenships. Overseas students who apply in the UK face vastly larger fees, almost equal to US unis for those w/o large scholarships.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    But the point I want to make is that Cam is a truly unique learning environment, a factor that should be taken into account by the OP.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodch)
    My son is senior in IB and has very competitive application. He is applying mainly to American Universities but somehow has set his heart on Natural Science course at Cambridge. Now I can't see any scenario how he can go to Cambridge. Even if he gets offer from Cambridge then he will only know whether he is going to Cambridge next Aug or Sep when IB results come out and before that most American Universities would have gotten a commitment from him about where he wants to go.
    So there are only one way in which he goes to Cambridge, he gets offer from Cambridge and is rejected by every other place where he is applying. Hopefully that does not happen, he is applying to safeties too but he can't be so unique.I am wondering how do American Student finally end up at Cambridge. I am sorry if this question has been answered but I could not find an answer on Internet.
    Almost 40% of students at Cambridge did IB or similar and whilst the failed offer rate is higher than for A levels (where up till now they had AS as a half way marker for the final exams) it is still only about 5-10%. So if he genuinely want to go to Cambridge he can take the risk provided 7,7,6 is a realistic objective. In the UK if you miss your offer, you may have an insurance but you may have to take a GAP year and reapply.

    What is the cost of committing to a US university and later withdrawing?
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)

    What is the cost of committing to a US university and later withdrawing?
    It depends on the uni. We paid $250, non-refendable.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    It depends on the uni. We paid $250, non-refendable.
    So I guess the answer to the OP (who seems to have gone AWOL) is anybody will accpet who thinks a Cambridge place is worth losing $250?
    Doesn't sound like much to me in the context of international fees and travel and living expenses. (Plus how did he get his spell checker to accpet that spelling.)


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I don't see the issue. If he accepts an offer from Cambridge, he is committed to going there provided he gets the grades. He's going to have to make up his mind when he receives his offers about where he wants to go; he can't have this 'keeping all options open' all the way until the start of the academic year. If his heart is that set on Cambridge and he gets an offer, he should accept that and work hard to meet his offer. If he misses the offer, he can always reapply to the American universities.
    (Original post by jneill)
    ^this

    And OP that's probably one of the reasons why there are not so many US students at Cambridge. Only the one's who are really passionate about it.

    Also have you checked the full costs, including College Fees, etc.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    The issue is that if you apply to american unis in the first admissions cycle, and they accept you, you have to go. So american uni deadline for reply is december 15th, so if he is accepted by then and he has an offer from cambridge, has must go to the american uni.

    OP: Perhaps have him apply in the second admission cycle for american unis. I am aware this is very risky perhaps is worth a try.
    • TSR Support Team
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    The issue is that if you apply to american unis in the first admissions cycle, and they accept you, you have to go. So american uni deadline for reply is december 15th, so if he is accepted by then and he has an offer from cambridge, has must go to the american uni.

    OP: Perhaps have him apply in the second admission cycle for american unis. I am aware this is very risky perhaps is worth a try.
    That's not true.

    You aren't bounded by any university you choose to commit to, even if you applied for early decision, as an international student.

    I'll echo what has been said before, OP your child can hold on to an acceptance at a US uni (granted the nonrefundable deposit has been paid) as well as wait for the outcome on results day for Cambridge - all that happens is you'll lose the deposit you paid, if you were to go with Camb.
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.