Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Doing mostly science A levels. Will I still be able to do Law at Oxbridge? watch

ReputationRep:
    Doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and History. I know Law has no specific subject requirements. Although I do have one humanities subject, I can't help feeling I ought to have done more Arts subjects. Trouble is, science subjects are far more powerful and worthy and far-reaching A levels, and I enjoy them more -- so I did them at A level.

My question is, then: will I still be able to do Law at a good university, or will they just reject me outright?

ReputationRep:
    You will not be rejected outright because of your subject choices. I think I remember reading something recently on the cam website saying that doing well in science a levels is a good indicator of success during the course or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theycallmejamo)
    Doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and History. I know Law has no specific subject requirements. Although I do have one humanities subject, I can't help feeling I ought to have done more Arts subjects. Trouble is, science subjects are far more powerful and worthy and far-reaching A levels, and I enjoy them more -- so I did them at A level.

My question is, then: will I still be able to do Law at a good university, or will they just reject me outright?
    Sciences are a good indicator that you are able to think logically. In fact, the two people whom I know who went to study law at Oxbridge studied more sciences subjects than humanities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theycallmejamo)

Yes, you will be able to study Law at a good university, providing your GCSEs/AS levels are the right standard; your subject choices alone won't make or break your application. I know someone who did more science/maths based A levels and got into a Russell Group university for Law, so you'll be fine if you get the grades.

I do disagree with your statement that "science subjects are far more powerful and worthy and far-reaching A levels" though - thinking like that won't help you get into university, nor will it help you when you're at university, as many people you know will have done 'lesser' subjects. Essay based subjects like History and English Literature aren't easy and they're very well respected; choosing non-humanities subjects is obviously fine, but don't do it simply because they're "far more worthy" - do it because you enjoy them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.