Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I was in the first 0.5% of Facebook users watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Inspired from the 12 memories for those that grew up in the 2000s thread and talking about social media in the past; I went back through my Facebook and realised I joined in early 2006 when there were ~6mil users.. putting me in the first 0.5% of accounts!

Did anyone else join back then? (or earlier?) In a time when new social media sites were coming and going so fast (Myspace, Bebo, Friends Reuninted) did you ever think you'd still be using it almost a decade on?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the time of Myspace and Friendster isn't it? If anyone I know is still using Friendster I'd :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I have never had a fb account and I never will. Zuckerberg can tongue my sack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I think it's the time of Myspace and Friendster isn't it? If anyone I know is still using Friendster I'd :teehee:
    I remember joining Facebook back then because MySpace had become too 'kiddie' with stupid flashing html profiles all over the place. You even had to have an approved university email address to register!

MSN hotmail chat is were the good old days were at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I remember joining Facebook back then because MySpace had become too 'kiddie' with stupid flashing html profiles all over the place. You even had to have an approved university email address to register!
    I don't remember having to have an approved university email address, but I remember there being hardly any users. Myspace and Bebo were dominant.
    I remember being able to send 'gifts' on Facebook like balloons and odd things like that. I really can't remember the layout though.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    i think i joined in 2008, and only just left on Thursday. After spending an hour a day on it,if not worse till then (too many years of my life on that site:P)

ReputationRep:
    Oh MSN, those were the times 😌

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    MSN hotmail chat is were the good old days were at.
    Sending people nudges :mmm: and all those other cute emojis and changing status to invisible to avoid some people lol
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by BubbleLover98)
    Oh MSN, those were the times 😌
    when everyone used to overuse emoticons in their msn names:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Inspired from the 12 memories for those that grew up in the 2000s thread and talking about social media in the past; I went back through my Facebook and realised I joined in early 2006 when there were ~6mil users.. putting me in the first 0.5% of accounts!

Did anyone else join back then? (or earlier?) In a time when new social media sites were coming and going so fast (Myspace, Bebo, Friends Reuninted) did you ever think you'd still be using it almost a decade on?
    "I was in the first 0.5% of Facebook users". What's the point of making a thread about being the first [insert arbitrary value] % of Facebook users?

(Original post by queen-bee)
    Sending people nudges :mmm: and all those other cute emojis and changing status to invisible to avoid some people lol
    oh yes! So many memories. Coming home from school and going straight to MSN. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle;[url="tel:60129055")
    60129055[/url]]when everyone used to overuse emoticons in their msn names:P
    Haha yeah, and I'd never really know who I was talking to but we still had great chats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    oh yes! So many memories. Coming home from school and going straight to MSN. :lol:
    Looks like I'm not the only one :mmm:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by BubbleLover98)
    Haha yeah, and I'd never really know who I was talking to but we still had great chats
    i dont think i ever spoke to a strange on there, my contact list was pretty small:P

ReputationRep:
    I had a FB account. I found it an awful waste of my time. I seemed to spend a lot of time catching up with the banal details of the lives of people I hadn't seen in a decade (including what they had eaten or were about to eat for dinner, complete with photographs) I closed my account down a couple years back and don't miss it one bit.

Interesting but I read that in 2065 there will be more dead people on FB than living ones. Creepy thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    If I'm not mistaken, Friendster had that "How I'm feeling today" on the user's profile e.g. "Feeling Fantastic" or "zooomg, xmas!" and a very archaic flashing emoticon next to it. Looking back, I wanna fart reading those status messages.

ReputationRep:
    I actually remember when Facebook firt burst into the 'mainstream' in 2006 and Justin Timberlake did some kind of promo for them haha. But I didn't get a FB account until like 2012. And I hate it now lol.

ReputationRep:
    I joined in 2009 - pretty late compared to my friends. Was mostly on Bebo and MSN before that. But used Piczo, Habbo and Myspace in primary school haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    "I was in the first 0.5% of Facebook users". What's the point of making a thread about being the first [insert arbitrary value] % of Facebook users?
    To grab attention and direct other forum users to open the thread and comment. A point you have now proven

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.