Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Urgent help!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm really, really confused and need some help.

Basically, i'm in the process of applying to university and was ready to pay for it all when my boyfriend was looking through my UCAS form and he asked me whether I was sure if I was a UK National. I froze and so rang the home office people and they told me that i wasn't because when I was born my mother, a Spanish national, was only in the country for 4 years and 10 months and my father did not yet have indefinite leave.
    After freaking out about not being able to afford university i rang student finance and they told me that I pretty much could only get the loan for the payment of my degree (which is nursing so would be paid by the NHS) BUT anyway, so I was crying loads and emailed loads of people to see if i could get any help to become a british citizen but it appears I have to pay either £900 or £1000 even though ive been here ALL of my life and was born here.
    THEN, the careers lady at my school contacted student finance and she basically said that I was entitled to a maintenance loan and that i'd previously been lied to.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me clear this up?????
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by sarahjfx)
    I'm really, really confused and need some help.

Basically, i'm in the process of applying to university and was ready to pay for it all when my boyfriend was looking through my UCAS form and he asked me whether I was sure if I was a UK National. I froze and so rang the home office people and they told me that i wasn't because when I was born my mother, a Spanish national, was only in the country for 4 years and 10 months and my father did not yet have indefinite leave.
    After freaking out about not being able to afford university i rang student finance and they told me that I pretty much could only get the loan for the payment of my degree (which is nursing so would be paid by the NHS) BUT anyway, so I was crying loads and emailed loads of people to see if i could get any help to become a british citizen but it appears I have to pay either £900 or £1000 even though ive been here ALL of my life and was born here.
    THEN, the careers lady at my school contacted student finance and she basically said that I was entitled to a maintenance loan and that i'd previously been lied to.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me clear this up?????
    To be eligible to have your tuition fees paid for (well to be allowed to do the course essentially, unless you apply to a non funded nursing degree the only one of which is at the uni of bolton) , you have to be either a uk national or someone who has lived in the uk for 3 years or more and have settled status (which i presume the home office classifies you as having) , so since you ve lived here since birth i recon you've nothing to worry about really.
    If you can become a uk national it would probably make life easier when applying otherwise you d have to have some of evidence for 3 years+ of living here, although i presume you d have plenty of that.
    This should explain the financial side of things for a nursing degree, http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Do...2)_11.2013.pdf
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    You mainly need to speak to Nhs bursaries england, as you d only be eligible for 2k from sfe anyway. So if you're confused call nhs bursaries and they ll be able to help

ReputationRep:
    You'll be applying for an NHS bursary. NHS funding isn't my strong point, but the general principle for Student Finance England is that for UK fee status you need to
    - have no restriction on your stay in the UK (e.g. EU passport / indefinite leave to remain)
    - have been living in the UK for the last three years for purposes that are not wholly or mainly for education.

Based on the idea that you are a Spanish citizen who has been living here all your life, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be entitled to SFE funding, but you will need to explore the finer points of NHS funding.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.